Jay Wilson Leaving Blizzard

MMO-Champion

Update: T-Mobile is giving US Postpaid subscribers a free Warcraft movie ticket.

wowmini.png
Blizzard Adding Facebook Login and Facebook Live Streaming

Jay Wilson Leaving Blizzard
Jay Wilson has been at Blizzard for over 10 years, working on Diablo and World of Warcraft during his time there. We wish him the best on his new journey!

Continue reading...

Great may we have a good Diablo 4 now that takes us back to the path it used to have with DI and II. DIII is fun but its just not the same. This guy brought to many of the Diablo ideas into wow like garissons that are just town clones/ideas from DIII with extra stuff. Good riddance.

Taken from the Diablo forums;
Many people, don't understand why Jay Wilson gets the negative attitude towards him, i am one of the people who have negative feelings towards him, but i don't say such immature things like "go to hell, or he's a fat pig" and say things that are that mean to him, i disagree with many of his decision making and his comments and i would like to show you why. Here's some examples, maybe not all, to the many things Jay Wilson has consciously done over the years. If you have some i have forgotten please feel free to add.

Jay Wilson feels Diablo 3 is the best game he could make at release.
Most people found the game to be a lot worse than what the game is now, bugs, obvious abusable exploits that got through etc. The abysmall drops and the terrible itemization (still not fixed only a bit improved) Gave players a bad overal first impression of the game. Plus no PVP or endgame. Why did he think it was the best game they could make? If this is what he feels is the best he could do then maybe somebody else should of had higher expectations should of been doing his job.

"Shut up PVP guy"
Here's a kick to the lower abdomen, the guy came in saying screw PVP, doesn't even want to try and make it good. This is not a good way to start things off and definitely not a good mindset. 8 months later - we get PVP dueling that was scrapped together in a month with no leaderboards, search ques, no balance, and many bugs....because they failed to deliver PVP arena. Which Jay admitted if it was not released before 2012 it would be a "Disaster". What i find odd is that he said he doesnt care for the balance or e-sport of it...yet it takes him this long just to release something pvp related.

Players keep telling Jay that they don't like some of the design choices and would prefer this or that...Jay's response.
Jay Wilson: "Yeah, one of the lessons that we learned in development was people’s memories of Diablo II were way different than the reality of Diablo II. They remember all kinds of stuff that never actually happened in that game."
This will be a reoccurring issue, Jay comes off a little arrogant, or a I know what's best scenario, where he dismiss players feedback telling them they are wrong. If you follow blogs you will see alot of "We feel" in conjunction to "It was not fun". Again according to who? Jay Wilson of coarse. It's just disheartening to being told, what's fun over and over again. We know what's fun Jay..not you. Get over yourself.

Many players tell Jay during the Q&A that the story was weak, this is what he says in return...
Jay Wilson: We've commented on story several times now. The majority of feedback we've gotten on story has been positive. I'm sorry your experience varied.
He hears the same question being asked and feels compelled to answer to every one saying basically "nope, people tell me it's good," What feedback said it was good? The yes-people who cannot tell Jay something stinks?

Bad game design.
"Primarily due to players' preference of DPS over everything. As we played the game we found everyone just moved to the damage type that did the most damage. If we equalized damage they ignored ones that didn't have CC options. Case in point, we kept the slow on cold and gave it a lower damage budget and it's the least used damage type now." Not sure if this is a Jay Quote, but it's definitely a Jay decisions. Why include elemental attacks if they do ABSOLUTELY nothing... Enemies don't even have elemental weakness. They are just there to "look cool"... This and many other "simplified" mechanics made for a simple game, how can anyone argue that it was made for the better, i could never know? Maybe God of War is up Jay's alley if he just wants to make a cool action game.

Question: Why don't bosses guarantee decent drops on your first kill in Nightmare or Hell? This leaves 30-60 feeing VERY dull and boring because you're not getting your loot fix. It's not a question of how do I gear up, but a statement in that beating a boss that drops two bad blues is very disheartening and is a very NEGATIVE reinforcement for continued play.

Answer: (Jay): This was my decision, and I'll start by saying that Wyatt and Andrew have talked me out of it. In a future patch (not 1.0.3) we'll add this.
But so you know my reasoning I think this just moves the problem. Design intent is that at end-game we want you to stack NV and 'then' kill bosses to make farming loot more interesting. To facilitate this bosses have to stop dropping tons of rares 'at some point'.
My worry was that if it was at Inferno everyone would be like 'WTF why Inferno hardest difficulty with worst loot!?!??!' instead of the current complaint.
The reason I've decided my decision was wrong is the gap that exists between Normal first time drops and the NV farming of Inferno.
Here we have undeniable proof of what made Jay not that great of a "Game Designer" that i keep hearing, he made a conscious bad decision and ignores people and has to be "talked out of it" later on. This i felt was an obviously bad design over something so simple, If he could not see something this obvious, what about the games... more ambitious designs?

The great graphic debacle. Many player's keep telling Jay Wilson that the graphics were "not good", "Too cartoony" or "Too bright" - He answers them with "Whismyshire" - Anyone with a brain could tell that this was his answer to those types of people and IMO was pretty immature response. Why even waste your time designing this area, for a light-hearted, insult to the "cartoony" responses? Yes, we get it, that's what cartoony really is, don't waste your development time and resources insulting your fanbase - I don't think the graphics are that bad, except for a few elements - such as Act 2 felt like a Disney cartoon to me... Magha and Kulle were 100% Disney villains. Oh well, it didn't bode well for the Great Jay Wilson when he was already on thin Ice.

"7 Years in Sanctuary" Only responded in the forums twice... What does it take to get Jay to listen or address fans criticisms? Well you have to be well known apparently.... which brings me the number 1 reason, people have such a negative attitude towards Jay Wilson,
"F that Loser"
http://kotaku.com/5936142/diablo-iii-interview-leads-to-unexpected-facebook-!@#$%ing
This is the big reason, why Jay Wilson gets so much hate. Here, we been telling Jay for months, even years, what was initially wrong with this game, and he ignores our pleas, and when someone like David Brevik who basically say's the same thing we been saying for all this time, he say's "F that loser"....and why? What did he say that was so insulting? It doesn't take a genius to know that by calling David Brevik a loser, he was basically calling every single one of Diablo fans losers. We been saying the same thing he has and yet is compelled to call him a loser(really meant for everyone who disagree with Jay?). I guess we are all the real losers in the end here. He also has the audacity to say "Bad comments hurt the feedback process" on his twitter... Yet responds to the the concise constructive criticism by David Brevik. Who's hurting the feedback process the fans or Jay Wilson? Looks to me any kind of feedback will hurt the feedback process according to Jay Wilson, so long as it's saying how amazing he or the game is he will acknowledge it. If you criticize it at all, well your a loser, according to him at least.

So if you disagree with with why people are upset, then that's fine but we have our opinions and we have a pretty good argument why we should feel the way that we should. Let people have their opinions and they will let you have yours. But 8 months later nothing really has changed, the core problems still exist, the foundation to this game is still poor (Itemization is absolutely absmall and still not varied) PVP although being worked on for 2+ years was scrapped and rushed with an alternate. One may wonder why anyone thinks he did a good Job with this series, i guess you have to be his, friend, work with him, or be the one to hire him to ignore such obvious flaws. He may have some talented individual, but i just don't see him as a great inspiring artist that will make people the people or the press excited for anything he has worked on... I mean there are dozens of developers, producers, and game designers that hype the people and the media. Jay Wilson will never get that fame that generate taglines such as "E3's around the corner and we at Spike TV will reveal Jay Wilsons next big game" etc

Last edited:
What was this guy doing at blizzard since you guys think it's good that he's leaving? Was he responsible for garrisons or something?

He is one of the main reasons why Diablo 3 ended the way it did.

Also several videos above.

Now if just Celestalon does sudoku, WoW might be decent again.

Users who are viewing this thread