Is there a Gem guide?

ns66

I see someone with 61 ilvl gear with +2int +2ver gem, I bought best one I can find from AH and it only gives +1 +1 :(
gems are quite confusing since no clue what the numbers will scale down
any help will be appreciated, thanks

and I see people have +3 int gem without "unique-equip" restriction, can't find anything on AH :(

Just in case, here is an UPDATED VERSION of the Shadowlands Enchant and Gems Scaling thread by @Swoops.

BiS gems are pretty straightforward nowadays - Straddling Jewel Doublet + Revitalizing Jewel Doublet (if vet) and filler Versatile Jewel Cluster / Mastery / Crit / Haste gems in all other ilvl 87 sockets to increase the Doublet gems effect. If you for whatever reason you choose to use rare-quality (ilvl 61) gear, the best option for F2Ps are the WoTLK epic gems. Single-stat WoTLK gems scale to 2 at level 20 (3 at level 29 and in BG), so use double-stat gems that scale to 2/2 (they stay 2/2 at level 29 and in BG) instead. Here is a nice video by @Chops explaining the long process of acquiring them.

Some notable options are:
* Timeless Dreadstone (2 Int, 2 Stam)
* Purified Dreadstone / Mysterious Dreadstone (2 Int, 2 Vers)
* Veiled Dreadstone / Potent Ametrine (2 Int, 2 Crit)
* Reckless Ametrine (2 Int, 2 Haste)
* Shifting Dreadstone (2 Agi, 2 Stam)
* Deadly Ametrine (2 Agi, 2 Crit)
* Deft Ametrine / Glinting Dreadstone (2 Agi, 2 Haste)
* Sovereign Dreadstone (2 Str, 2 Stam)
* Etched Dreadstone / Inscribed Ametrine (2 Str, 2 Crit)
* Fierce Ametrine (2 Str, 2 Haste)

*TBC single stat gems scale to 3 at level 20 (they stay 3 at level 29 and in BG) Unavailable for F2Ps.
*Cata single stat epic gems scale to 3 at level 20 (they stay 3 at level 29 and in BG) Unavailable for F2Ps.
*Cata double stat gems scale to 2/2 (they stay 2/2 at level 29 and in BG) and are the only source of main stat + mastery. Unavailable for F2Ps.

There are also a few unique-equipped gems that you may want to get as well:
* Straddling Viridium (BFA JC)
* Straddling Sage Agate (BFA JC) Unavailable for F2Ps for now due to the trainer being phased out in Nazjatar!
* Nightmare Tear (WoTLK JC)
* Jagged Deep Peridot (Mark of Honor Hold daily)
* (meta) Tense Unstable Diamond (Apexis Shard event, takes ~30 minutes)

More info on leveling JC can be found in this cool thread by @Gobolord .

More info HERE.

I see someone with 61 ilvl gear with +2int +2ver gem, I bought best one I can find from AH and it only gives +1 +1 :(
gems are quite confusing since no clue what the numbers will scale down
any help will be appreciated, thanks
Ignore everything the gems say and go filter the quality of the gems. You will only want epic-quality gems. Epic quality primary gems will give you +3 primary stat, and mixed stat epic-quality gems will give you the +2 primary and +2 secondary. They are all the same besides pricing on AH! Rare-quality will only give you +2 primary and +1 primary and +1 secondary.

I was confused by this as well at first and it's kinda crazy how literally nobody mentions it on the twinking forums anywhere.

Theres not one, but TWO stickied threads in this very subforum that would lead you to the information you're looking for. One of them was even linked and quoted in this here thread this morning.
Sure, I've read through the gem guides and such threads, but they neglect to mention that greens and blues scale down to +1 and +2 only despite even the text inside the game showing higher numbers. The guides are helpful in pointing out exactly which gems are BiS but don't mention the effect that quality of the gems plays in scaling. New twinks such as myself and OP would never know that the real stats of the gems scale down so much, based on the quality of the gem not how high the number in the text says. I bought some blue-quality gems at first since they said they would give +4 +4 which seemed reasonable, only to find they only gave +2 +2, then later a +12 Agi purple Leviathan's Eye, only to find they're just the same as a +3 epic from any expac.

Sure, I've read through the gem guides and such threads, but they neglect to mention that greens and blues scale down to +1 and +2 only despite even the text inside the game showing higher numbers. The guides are helpful in pointing out exactly which gems are BiS but don't mention the effect that quality of the gems plays in scaling. New twinks such as myself and OP would never know that the real stats of the gems scale down so much, based on the quality of the gem not how high the number in the text says. I bought some blue-quality gems at first since they said they would give +4 +4 which seemed reasonable, only to find they only gave +2 +2, then later a +12 Agi purple Leviathan's Eye, only to find they're just the same as a +3 epic from any expac.
1678840516253.png

Enchant Scaling Spreadsheet - Local legend Swoops compiled all the available enchants and how they scale at various levels. Enjoy.
Gems tab

The Shadowlands Enchant and Gems scaling spreadsheet is outdated and leads people to say inaccurate things like:
Ignore everything the gems say and go filter the quality of the gems. You will only want epic-quality gems. Epic quality primary gems will give you +3 primary stat, and mixed stat epic-quality gems will give you the +2 primary and +2 secondary. They are all the same besides pricing on AH! Rare-quality will only give you +2 primary and +1 primary and +1 secondary.

I was confused by this as well at first and it's kinda crazy how literally nobody mentions it on the twinking forums anywhere.

An updated version, which I have linked both in the Baseline guide and in this thread can be found here. In the Gems tab, you can find every type of rarity/expansion gem and how much it scale to both at level 20 and at level 29 (so in BGs). A lot of stuff is documented, it just takes a bit of effort to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread