Is shadowmourne ever worth using it ipvp?

Arlaren

Veteran
I wanted to make an 80 paladin so I could use smourne and valaynar, but I’m assuming that twink would just be purely stronger if I went to 85 or 89 and used Gurth. Is there any scenario where it is worth using smourne, or purely better to go 85/89 for scaling and higher damage? Can’t imagine staying 80 is ever optimal, or that Smourne would be bis above 80.

Many level 80 warriors use shadowmourne & it seems strong. I don't have any chars with it atm but a good warrior I play with has it & wrecks face.

I don't think any other weapon compares to the shadowmourne at level 80.

Yeah it's pretty fkn good. Only hc Gurthalak compares but that is ofc level 85.
Right, which I figured. I guess i'm asking is there any reason to stay 80 when you could just go 85 and get gurth and be stronger.

Right, which I figured. I guess i'm asking is there any reason to stay 80 when you could just go 85 and get gurth and be stronger.

The reason to stay at level 80 are as follows:

1. Nostalgia - There are a lot of EU level 80's that have great time running old content together
2. Herald Runs
3. There's not a huge difference between level 80 and 89's in instanced pvp.

Gurth isn't that great for paladin anyway. I'd rather go for a stat stick personally.

The best thing about going to 89 is that you can solo the normal dungeons and get bis gear much quicker/with less hassle than a level 80 going for normal tbc dungeons. If you were level 80 you'd need to be boosted by another player.

The reason to stay at level 80 are as follows:

1. Nostalgia - There are a lot of EU level 80's that have great time running old content together
2. Herald Runs
3. There's not a huge difference between level 80 and 89's in instanced pvp.

Gurth isn't that great for paladin anyway. I'd rather go for a stat stick personally.

The best thing about going to 89 is that you can solo the normal dungeons and get bis gear much quicker/with less hassle than a level 80 going for normal tbc dungeons. If you were level 80 you'd need to be boosted by another player.
So for someone that only cares about ipvp and not nostalgia/herald runs and can arrange for carries for gear, 85/89 is the clear cut winner?

Yeah I'd say so. 87 is probably best as it gives you access to some nice engineering pieces yet keeps your level low for better scaling when in duels or world pvp

Shadowmourne is 100% in the conversation ATM, and is arguably the strongest legendary item for twinking. If you're staying 80, its absolutely BIS. If you're going 89, Gurth may suit you better.

Shadowmourne is 100% in the conversation ATM, and is arguably the strongest legendary item for twinking. If you're staying 80, its absolutely BIS. If you're going 89, Gurth may suit you better.
That's what I thought, that's unfortunate. So, the further you get from 80, the less relevant smourne is. I can't imagine it still being relevant at 85 with the loss of DPS. And staying 80 gimps you, as 85 gear allows more sockets and better itemization/stronger trinkets.

And staying 80 gimps you, as 85 gear allows more sockets and better itemization/stronger trinkets.

That's false. I have 4 80 twinks and outperform any 81-89. Gear isnt a crutch, its a helping hand. This is a very balanced bracket where skill stands out

Secondary’s are much higher at 80 if you gear and socket correctly. My 80 mage is in signature. He’s is sitting at 62% crit, with still like 20% of another stat and other stats to boot. All without sacrificing intellect anywhere.

I can see any class that’s used agil or int being comparable or even better at 80 than 89, just because of stats.

Secondary’s are much higher at 80 if you gear and socket correctly. My 80 mage is in signature. He’s is sitting at 62% crit, with still like 20% of another stat and other stats to boot. All without sacrificing intellect anywhere.

I can see any class that’s used agil or int being comparable or even better at 80 than 89, just because of stats.

What does that drop to in Instanced PvP?
And what does your intellect increase to when in IPvP too?

What does that drop to in Instanced PvP?
And what does your intellect increase to when in IPvP too?

Couldn’t tell you exact numbers but it doesn’t drop by much to be honest. This goes for a lot of brackets, 90-99, 101-109, all of which your almost better off going 91 because the warlord trinkets you get and gems effect you much more than 99s. And as far as 101s, they can get almost double the secondaries that 109s can.

Couldn’t tell you exact numbers but it doesn’t drop by much to be honest. This goes for a lot of brackets, 90-99, 101-109, all of which your almost better off going 91 because the warlord trinkets you get and gems effect you much more than 99s. And as far as 101s, they can get almost double the secondaries that 109s can.

I just don't fully agree that at level 80 all classes int and agi will have better stats. Sure u can stack crit really easily at 80 because of the available gems (without sacrificing any intellect). But Mastery or Versatility, even Haste is fairly hard to stack at 80.

Take my 89 priest for example (nowhere near BIS)
860int (with alch pot)
18% Crit
18% Haste
4% vers
11k hp

I don't think you can get those end game stats with a level 80 (in Instanced pvp) due to the gear available - would loved to be proved wrong though?

And yet in something like 70-79, I have a GF'ed 70 rogue (which I main at a duelist level) and still will lose to 79s in situations where I shouldnt if things are as equal as you all say. The same rules should apply to 80-89, no? Wondering why you all think 80-89 is different in this case? Especially w/ powerful trinkets like BLF.

Last edited:
And yet in something like 70-79, I have a GF'ed 70 rogue (which I main at a duelist level) and still will lose to 79s in situations where I shouldnt if things are as equal as you all say. The same rules should apply to 80-89, no? Wondering why you all think 80-89 is different in this case? Especially w/ powerful trinkets like BLF.

Are you talking about instanced pvp or duels?

In instanced pvp the difference between 80 and 89s is pretty slim. Why? I'm not sure. Everything has a bell curve.
Veechard does have a point however. The higher you go (91 vs 99 101 vs 109) the worse your secondary stats get. The better off you are at the lower end of the scale.

For 80 vs 89 I feel like thins plateau out a little. Instanced pvp between 80s and 89s is minimal. In open world things are fairly even but in my experience the 89 pulls ahead.

Maybe just certain classes then, but the crit I’m able to get up to only mage helps me greatly in BGs and idk if I’d be able to get as high at 89. Would love to see testing done or checking leaderboards more to see if 80s can keep up. I would think so

Maybe just certain classes then, but the crit I’m able to get up to only mage helps me greatly in BGs and idk if I’d be able to get as high at 89. Would love to see testing done or checking leaderboards more to see if 80s can keep up. I would think so

You wouldn't be able to get the same crit but I believe you'd be able to get more main stat which would balance things out a little.

On my 89 enhance shammy I have 33% crit with over 800 attackpower without any procs, 1250+ with procs. I don't think that's possible on any level 80s.

You wouldn't be able to get the same crit but I believe you'd be able to get more main stat which would balance things out a little.

On my 89 enhance shammy I have 33% crit with over 800 attackpower without any procs, 1250+ with procs. I don't think that's possible on any level 80s.

Almost all of your gear is obtainable at level 80 though. 5 pieces require 85, and those 5 can be replaced for slightly weaker sources of agility. With that said, your 800+ attack power is merely gained through being higher level. I am sure it'd be possible to have more critical strike, and slightly less attack power at level 80. But I may be wrong. Its all just a tradeoff TBH

Users who are viewing this thread