Is it possible to solo a dungeon as lvl 20 Arcane mage?

uhhhhidk1

I tried doing it but the boss would kill me before I kill them, sometimes I cant even handle 3 - 5 mobs
I'm f2p I cant queue for WoD dungeons so I have to solo them , any tips for survivability?

Either pick Oooze/Totem or...

...soloing as Arcane is a mess.

If you don't have -want to bother- someone to carry you for SL, here's a quick guide (I never did SL on my mage)

I personaly pick Tempest Barrier 2/2 and Mirror Image. Use Prismatic Barrier whenever you can unless it is still up somehow. Use Blink when off-cooldown, it'll give you some time against some bosses and a 6% of your max health shield. Mage soloing is all about kill or be killed and every percent count. In the same vein, cast Prismatic Barrier, wait 25 seconds and *then* pull the mob(s). Ice Block is used to give you some time for your cooldowns, don't sleep on it.
Damage-wise, spam Arcane Blast like it's your life's mission and use Arcane Surge for mana recovery. Arcane Orb can be casted while moving and gives you quick Arcane Charged.

For gear, get ilvl 61 from BFA rares and fill the slots with Heirlooms, you'll only miss a good Waist piece if Horde (dunno for Alliance). Check out @Stim's guide
https://xpoff.com/threads/ilvl-61-starter-gear-from-bfa-rares.99155/
Then farm Auchindoun's first boss, you can get your waist and finger slots but also a staff. When you'll have at least a WF'ed staff you'll have a much easier time soloing. Overall this boss is both the easiest and the one bringing the most stats (4 slots, including waist for Horde so you don't have to quest/go to Kul'Tiras).
Iron Docks is prolly too hard for Mage's toolkit to solo without Ooze/Totem.
Auchindoun should be doable I suppose, maybe Azzakel is a problem. Try to use your Prismatic Barrier for his DoT and get some bandages and health pots (Heirloom neck shares a CD so beware). Getting the spinal injector is big too. Get some flasks too or at least the +4 primary stat reusable one.
Last advice, don't sleep on Stamina, your survivability toolkit relies on HP%.

Don't think I forgot anything, just don't expect gearing to be easy on Mage (without Ooze/Totem ofc) but damn does it feel good to get that gear this way.

Edit : aaaand I forgot something. Charged Crystal Focus, obtained from getting Depleted Crystal Focus and using 10 Apexis Shards (Outlands version) to "fill" them. The Depleted Crystal Focus drops from mobs near Ogri'la and Bash'ir Landing. The tooltip mentions a heal of over 2000 HP and a 5 min cooldown if I remember well. If it still works it entierly outclasses health potions and heirloom necks (shares cooldown with them too)

Last edited:
When you get enough gear, does soloing become less random on if you die or not, and more consistent clears? Like can you hit a point where your so geared you won’t ever die?
I honestly haven't bother gearing my Mage too much as I don't really like the class. But honestly I'm 100% sure you won't die at some point. As I said, try to get WF gear from Auchindoun's first then second then full instance. And you really, really need those healthstones.
Also, even early on you'll mostly die on your first tries. As soon as you get a better grip of doing the fight as a mage it's a piece of cake. I'll play my mage a bit and give you an update but trust me, if I cn do it you can do it too ;)

When you get enough gear, does soloing become less random on if you die or not, and more consistent clears? Like can you hit a point where your so geared you won’t ever die?
Yes, for some dungeons. My arcane mage is ilvl75 and can solo the whole of Iron docks without Ooze. Alot of it hinges on your usage of Alter time to eat burst phases to full heal you (especially bosses like the 3 dudes and Skulloc at the end). And using your burst to quickly kill adds in the case of boss 2 and skulloc

For skulloc, once he knocks you back, do the mechanic normally but do not re engage him. Use the cover closest to him to avoid his shots and when he begins charging the next barrage pop out and cast spells at him before ducking back behind cover. That way you don't have to tank his nasty melee.

Damn ty now I don't have to play my mage to see :)
Didn't expect Docks to be soloable as a Mage. Also every time I used Alter Time against bosses it used to fail? Was that a bug or am I just doing something wrong?
Hah anyways kudos to you

Damn ty now I don't have to play my mage to see :)
Didn't expect Docks to be soloable as a Mage. Also every time I used Alter Time against bosses it used to fail? Was that a bug or am I just doing something wrong?
Hah anyways kudos to you
Unless it's a bug it could be possible you double pressed it, which will instantly warp you back less than a second ago (ie a wasted alter time). You want to press it once and just let it expire on its own.

For example on Skulloc, you want to have your mage shield up first. The moment your shield goes down you want to alter time cuz the guy on the turret will go ham on you and likely take you to sub 20% hp.

When it alter time expires you should be at near max hp again and at ilvl 75 you would have done enough damage to take out the captain. This will prompt the turret guy to leave the turret to auto attack you for low damage. The rest of the fight is pretty easy as long as you don't engage skulloc in melee. Keep him firing the barrage and take potshots.

I tried doing Auchindoun and I managed to drop the first boss hp down to 23%
I'm only ilvl 58 and I didnt use any potions, I might try using Alter time and see if I could do better

I just registered to let you know you can indeed que for WOD dungeons at level 20. Just set your Chromie time to WOD. Ive done all the wod quests. not sure if that matters. I Que wod because my hunter still just takes a little too long for my liking to solo.

so i have access because ive subbed in the past?
Most likely.
For clarification, there’s at least three kinds of F2P accounts with the same restrictions but slightly different access to account-wide-items/etc.:
*Vet account: one that subbed at least once in the past.
*F2P (or ‘pure F2P’) account: never subbed.
*Linked-F2P: never subbed, but is linked to a battle.net account that has a vet/sub account.

Supposedly, for a vet-account or linked-F2P account to have access to chromie time, they’d need a level 50+ character on their vet or subbed/formerly-subbed account at some point in the past (or recently).

There’s also a very few, and rare grandfathered cases, of old pure-F2P accounts who have access to chromie time without the above.
That’s because those pure-F2P accounts experienced (willingly or unwittingly) a brief account-bug, which existed only for a few days or so and happened on only one server, where they were able to make an play DKs at a time when F2Ps were restricted from making DKs, and DKs still started at lvl 54 or similar. Those bugged DKs experienced F2P-restrictions (including no ability to level higher than 54 or whatever their starting level was), and that F2P player would lose access to them as soon as they logged off that DK during that short-bug-period.
I forgot when that happened, thought it was sometime during or before the Legion expansion (likely before, as I don’t recall demon hunters existed as a class during that time).

Last edited:
Most likely.
For clarification, there’s at least three kinds of F2P accounts with the same restrictions but slightly different access to account-wide-items/etc.:
*Vet account: one that subbed at least once in the past.
*F2P (or ‘pure F2P’) account: never subbed.
*Linked-F2P: never subbed, but is linked to a battle.net account that has a vet/sub account.

Supposedly, for a vet-account or linked-F2P account to have access to chromie time, they’d need a level 50+ character on their vet or subbed/formerly-subbed account at some point in the past (or recently).

There’s also a very few, and rare grandfathered cases, of old pure-F2P accounts who have access to chromie time without the above.
That’s because those pure-F2P accounts experienced (willingly or unwittingly) a brief account-bug, which existed only for a few days or so and happened on only one server, where they were able to make an play DKs at a time when F2Ps were restricted from making DKs, and DKs still started at lvl 54 or similar. Those bugged DKs experienced F2P-restrictions (including no ability to level higher than 54 or whatever their starting level was), and that F2P player would lose access to them as soon as they logged off that DK during that short-bug-period.
I forgot when that happened, thought it was sometime during or before the Legion expansion (likely before, as I don’t recall demon hunters existed as a class during that time).
thank you for the reply! Did not know

Update: It IS possible! lol, It was so fun!
Question tho, is there a faster or easier way to do this dungeon or is it always gonna be this challenging?
Edit: also, what stats should I prioritize? I was thinking of mastery since it makes my shield a little bit stronger, then vers > haste?

Last edited:
The real question is can you outgear dungeons to the point you can solo them as a rogue? )without ooze and totem obviously)

The real question is can you outgear dungeons to the point you can solo them as a rogue? )without ooze and totem obviously)
I think the thing holding the rogue together will be the presence of 4+ slands healing gems (equipped on an epic tbc chest+ other epic slots), if not there is no way a rogue can hope to last against most bosses.

Users who are viewing this thread