1. Hello Guest!
    In case you've missed it and haven't seen it yet, please check out our Into The New Era announcement where we outline the new and exciting direction XPOff.com is taking off to!
    Please also review the new rules set into place lest you'll get yourself into trouble!
    Dismiss Notice

Into The New Era

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Arkte, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Arkte

Arkte Head Administrator

Twinking is growing at an increasing rate unseen in nearly a decade. New guilds are popping up almost every day, and new teams are forming. Many are discovering the XPOFF forums for the first time, in search of a community and a way to get involved. Those who have been in the twink community for many years maintain a strong, yet sometimes toxic grip on these forums. Staff members and community leaders alike know how often new twinks are driven off by elitism and toxicity; it is undeniable, especially since Legion. While the XPOFF staff is unable to interfere with affairs in-game, we are able to create a far more inclusive environment for the next generation of twinks who are now in the majority, where as twinks from before Legion are now in the minority. Many long time members here are still holding their toxic grip on the discourse, and it is now time for that to come to an end. XPOFF is courting a new generation of twinks, and expecting the older generations to keep up or be left out of the party.

The parasitic activity on these forums MUST come to an end immediately if the website is going to become a place where twinks feel welcome. If nothing is done about it, it won't be much longer until a rival website pops up, where the new generation goes for a community that does not have such a blatantly negative environment. That would be the ultimate tragedy of twinkinfo's long legacy, and as a soon to be owner I refuse to do nothing about this issue and continue to allow the community to fracture in this inevitable way. Something must be done to combat the extreme existential crisis this forum is facing. People who are toxic to new users, and do nothing but disrespect forum users and staff should not have a voice in the community, no matter how many premades they've won, what guild tag they are wearing, or who they are friends with.

For the first year of XPOFF, the brackets were closed, and as a result so was the community. Moderators were fine playing a symbolic and conversational role on the forums, yet many - if not all moderators don't actually do much moderating, it's the administrators who do almost all of it. This is not how things should be, as the Administrators are busy with their own responsibilities. For this reason we will be purging all moderators and opening applications to fill the vacancies. Former moderators should feel welcome to re-apply and will likely be welcomed back with open arms, on the condition that they agree and continue to adhere to the new standards we are setting for Moderators. The Administrators will be taking a few days to put together a new set of standards for moderators, and will create a new Moderator application which will contain all of the necessary information. We will inform you when this has been done.

@Broken @Burg @Dorigon @Hashbrowns @Laurasia @Mutando @Nighthour @Sketchbag @telle

To reflect the changes we are making on the forums, we have implemented a few edits in to the Forum Rules and Etiquette to include some zero-tolerance rules. Please be sure to read and fully understand them.

2. Conq

Conq Prometheus

This is a necessary change, happy we're making this step into the future.

3. DeLindsay

DeLindsay 10s4Lyf

I will do my part to tone down the stinkeye that I get every now and again. While I've always used the excuse that I'm defending this or that Twink Community (usually 10's) I can also understand how it doesn't help things either. It's tough when one is so passionate about Characters we've spent literally hundreds of hours on and then someone else goes and takes a dump on it. But I guess that's just how we Humans are, and if we as a species are going to evolve into something better, maybe we need to change how we think about life issues, which then spill over into Internet Trolling/Banter.

Arkte likes this.
  4. Alex

Alex Lt. Dan 2.0

glad to be back around for the changes n such being made. had to take a few weeks of leave due to some hospital time but i'm back in full swing. hoping to see some new mods/faces to be working with soon!

ShinyHero and Arkte like this.
  5. bolt

bolt avid pizza slayer

does that mean no saying bad words

6. Alex

Alex Lt. Dan 2.0

more or less like less toxic posting. cursing will always happen but should be kept to a minimum

ShinyHero likes this.
  7. bolt

bolt avid pizza slayer

rip twinkinfo

Tidey, barb, partygirl and 6 others like this.
  8. Imnotabelf

Imnotabelf Veteran

This sounds like a great idea. On the cursing matter though certain words are already filtered anyway so that's not a big deal lol.

Dark, ShinyHero and Arkte like this.
  9. Fael

Fael Believer

Naisu!

Alex, ShinyHero and Arkte like this.
  10. Onlydreams

Onlydreams saved

Finally. I can think of so many accounts that only talk shit and never contribute anything just off the top of my head.

Soldjah, Ezny, LennywBT and 4 others like this.
  11. Gixxer66

Gixxer66 Veteran

The toxicity of the forums used to be one of the reasons I spent little time in here, or if i had questions about gear etc I would rather have gone and found the answers myself.

Anyone who is interested in twinking and is enthusiastic, and positive should be welcomed and made to feel like part of a community.

12. Sketchbag

Sketchbag OVOXO

Is this the way you're communicating to us mods that lost their respected roles here at xpoff.com ?

No PM or skype/twitch/discord etc?

I'd LOVE to see a productivity report on all staff members both admins/mods alike to see just how much more "work" the admins are doing here at this ever so busy site.

Broken, barb, Scuzbag and 7 others like this.
  13. Eriwen

Eriwen Veteran

when's the safe space thread section comming up?

Pandora and Yapah like this.
  14. Idiot

Idiot Vitor Belfort '97 hand speed

Let this site die just like Legion has.

Join yer local private server!

partygirl and Eriwen like this.
  15. Lu_woo

Lu_woo Member

I agree, only started twinking last September. Being new and without a reputation, I used to get constantly neglected if I had the 'audacity' to apply to some 10v10. Tbh I wasn't even pretending to replace someone who's experienced and frankly better than me, but rather just to fill the empty slots in the teams.

Hence, this initiative is highly appreciated and supported. It's the only way if twinks wanna grow.

Activate, LuckystrikedWoW and Arkte like this.
  16. Idiot

Conq, as one admitted anti-PC guy, to another, let me just say that I am very disappointed in your opinion on this. I thought we were on the same side. I guess they got to you too.

Asterias likes this.
  17. Roboartist

Roboartist Reclaimer

Must have missed the part about the purge. I agree with sketch. They should have been contacted. I am not a mod anymore so I don't see what comes through regularly. Though I see little to no real toxicity on the forums now. Not sure if that is because of the admins doing, but I am almost certain that I had once done 1-2 hours of constant moderating on TI because of how toxic it had become (daily). I think it is safe to say it is much better than it used to be, if not nearly perfect. And I am more than sure that had you given a heads up to them, some would have been more than happy to accommodate. Just my 2c

Tidey, partygirl and Idiot like this.
  18. Roboartist

Roboartist Reclaimer

As I said in the post I previously deleted, I do think trash talk is crucial to competition (especially in older age groups). But to an extent and if both sides are ok with it. But blind hate to a new player or random person who is undeserving of such is uncalled for.

Dark and partygirl like this.
  19. Idiot

So does this mean I won't be allowed to be a bigot anymore? Sounds like no fun.

20. Stabilt

Stabilt Member

Didnt we do this when xpoff was started?