EU+US Initial PTR thoughts...

willix

Legend
Character copy is now working (for myself at least).

Right away I noticed some significant improvements to the way the UI for collections works. The appearance tab functions exactly like the others, showing you all the possible items you could collect (as long as they are still in the game) with level requirements forcing you to be able to equip the item before you can xmog it. It's a nicer looking UI than the D3 one, but just about the same in terms of functionality. The drawback is that if you are wearing a lesser armor quality than is intended for your class, the game will not let you transmog that item.

The upside? You can mog mail/plate BoAs now! The game remembers your mog choices between specs, and will give you transmog options for all the items you've ever collected of that type even if it was earned by a different character (don't stress if you deleted that one item you wanted for mog). Transmog seems quite good now.

Tabards are part of the wardrobe and function the same way as gear. You like another Tabard look? You can transmog your tabard to something else.

Ilvl and gear: One of the biggest concerns of players is whether or not ilvl is a thing for twinking. Unfortunately, the UI took away the ability to see your ilvl displayed on your character sheet. Fortunately, there's a way to tell your ilvl using this script:

/ins
/run local u,f,t,c,l="target",Gs or CreateFrame("Frame","Gs")f:SetScript("OnEvent",function()t,c=0,0 for i=1,17 do l=GetInventoryItemLink(u,i)if l and i~=4 then _,_,_,l=GetItemInfo(l)c=c+1 t=t+l end end print(t/c)end)f:RegisterEvent("INSPECT_READY")

I've tested it and it does appear to show ilvl when you use it. However, upon first glance, it appears as though Heirlooms aren't counting towards ilvl. This may be a bug or intended, still too early to tell. Half my gear being Hierlooms drops my ilvl down to 24. It could be an answer to those who are wearing tons of BoAs and expecting to have an easy time twinking. In any case, it doesn't look like BoAs are going to be useable anymore.

There doesn't seem to be enough people on 29s yet to test out pvp with higher ilvl to see how it works.

I'll update this post as I learn more interesting things.

Edit: It seems as though there will be another round of Xmog grandfathering, if you have lower quality armor items equipped on your toon with an Xmog from before Legion, those items will not be moggable by your class in Legion. Example would be a shaman with cloth int gloves that had Magefist Gloves mog. In Legion, shaman wears Mail and can only xmog Mail items. Cloth items are only moggable by mage, priest, and warlock.

This might be irrelevant, but at least the warning is there, right?

Weapon Illusions might be another grandfathered thing. On the PTR, Garrison enchanting hut illusions no longer work (might be bugged, who knows), attempting to put the illusion on a weapon gives the message 'item's enchant visual cannot be modified.' I've tried with heirlooms and end game pvp gear, neither will allow the modification at this point.

Illusions are now built into the appearance tab with your armor, and as you guessed, the available illusions are limited to what you've unlocked on your account via the enchanting profession (lol?). Even worse news, the mail system in Legion wipes illusions just like it does with Xmogs now. Time to think carefully about Illusions going into Legion.

Update #2: Was able to do some skirms on the PTR, affliction warlock feels really good. Like, as good as TBC Affliction warlock. The only downside? No min/max anymore. Can't relive the glory days of glass cannon stacking shadow power and watching dots consume huge chunks out of a teams health bars. But it's still fun. Drain Soul heals for quite a bit, considering I was able to out live a BM monk with it.

http://imgur.com/a/IxuYd

Some images I've gathered so far from the PTR. Turns out ilvl is as negligible as predicted, class/spec balance plays way too much of a factor in damage right no. It appears as though ilvl is 100% hidden, using the script macro does not show a different ilvl than outside pvp.

Last edited:
Solid post man thanks! Just got home from work ( night shift) and i cant wait to get into it myself, thanks again :D

Just made a guild on alliance side I will start adding people tomorrow so we can group up and start doing war games and such

The drawback is that if you are wearing a lesser armor quality than is intended for your class, the game will not let you transmog that item.
I think Blizz are gonna counter this since it seems that, for instance every quest item will automatically be updated to fit the best armor type that you can wear.

I think Blizz are gonna counter this since it seems that, for instance every quest item will automatically be updated to fit the best armor type that you can wear.

Have you seen the wardrobe UI? It still uses the same transmog vendor you would use before to assign appearances to your gear. The transmog vendor shows any lower quality armor items (cloth on a leather wearer, for example) as ineligible to be transmogged. They aren't automatically 'convereted' as you seem to think. 3/4 of the items I can't mog on my 19 shaman are from quests.

http://imgur.com/IU7yvRf

See the blocked out item slots on my shaman? Those are slots where I'm wearing cloth and leather. Obviously, it's intended design, since Blizzard went through all the trouble of programming rules for transmog to be this way specifically. This also means that if you have any lower quality armor items on your leather/mail/plate wearers, and they are mogged, those mogs on those items will be grandfathered in Legion.

http://imgur.com/3rUWuIt

I think you're confused about the sub level 40 item updates to fix the mail/plate conversion. That's only happening on items that itemized incorrectly for the classes that can use them: ie, mail items with str will be converted to plate items for those sub level 40 players. You shouldn't see much of a change to quest rewards, there aren't many items that fall into that category.

Have you seen the wardrobe UI? It still uses the same transmog vendor you would use before to assign appearances to your gear. The transmog vendor shows any lower quality armor items (cloth on a leather wearer, for example) as ineligible to be transmogged. They aren't automatically 'convereted' as you seem to think. 3/4 of the items I can't mog on my 19 shaman are from quests.

http://imgur.com/IU7yvRf

See the blocked out item slots on my shaman? Those are slots where I'm wearing cloth and leather. Obviously, it's intended design, since Blizzard went through all the trouble of programming rules for transmog to be this way specifically. This also means that if you have any lower quality armor items on your leather/mail/plate wearers, and they are mogged, those mogs on those items will be grandfathered in Legion.

http://imgur.com/3rUWuIt

I think you're confused about the sub level 40 item updates to fix the mail/plate conversion. That's only happening on items that itemized incorrectly for the classes that can use them: ie, mail items with str will be converted to plate items for those sub level 40 players. You shouldn't see much of a change to quest rewards, there aren't many items that fall into that category.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. But you're right I havnt seen the wardrobe UI. What I meant tho, was that if there for instance is a quest that gives some agi/stam gloves, these gloves will be leather if you're monk/rog/druid and mail if you're hunter/sham. This might serve to help this problem with the new items you'll get in legion.

I hate the fact that you can't hide your Helm/Cloak anymore + some nasty bugs in arenas (teleports, stealth breaking for no reason)

Survival hunter seems to be the new 20-29 FoTM .. i think.

LE: hate the new nameplates also, hope i will get used to them.

Have you even tried Beast mastery, lmfao

Not yet but i was impressed with how Survival is....
Hate the fact that Warrs lost Double Time and Bleeds (was fun to bleed an entire army).

I've tested only some 20 toons (some vets, some f2p's), i'll test more when i'll get some free time.

Not yet but i was impressed with how Survival is....
Hate the fact that Warrs lost Double Time and Bleeds (was fun to bleed an entire army).

I've tested only some 20 toons (some vets, some f2p's), i'll test more when i'll get some free time.

Warriors still have double team as prot. I tried prot now for a few times, honestly, personally I think it's the most fun spec atm.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. But you're right I havnt seen the wardrobe UI. What I meant tho, was that if there for instance is a quest that gives some agi/stam gloves, these gloves will be leather if you're monk/rog/druid and mail if you're hunter/sham. This might serve to help this problem with the new items you'll get in legion.

I don't think that's a real thing happening in Legion. Sounds nice, but I think they're going a completely different route.

Edit: boxes awarded from BGs (between level 10-110) will be rolled according to your loot spec and armor quality, but that's all as far as I know.

Last edited:
Can 20-29 still que for AV?

Users who are viewing this thread