If its too premature to discuss specs - can we discuss gem/stat priorities?

Malgibbon

Veteran
Not sure if its too early for this either. Can we generally summarize what different specs/classes are looking to gem?

Are Int DPS gemming +3 or 2 main 2 secondary?
Are healers gemming +3 main stat?

Last edited:
25% secondaries across the board then mastery stack

edit: This is actually a fun set but I am kidding before the witch hunters come.

Last edited:
I had the same question today.

I had to buy 2 gems. Went to pvp vendor in orgrimmar and had to choose between 2agi/2crit and 3 agi gems. I know crit rating gets lower once you enter bgs (since you're lvl 29 in bgs) but I went with the crit gems.

I've also seen a gem with +3 to all stats, I dunno where to get it tho. Maybe someone can enlighten.

Realistically it’s too early to tell and they’ll likely be adjusting specs as it’s very early in the xpac.

Some classes benefit more from mastery than others and all secondaries will lower as you’re scaled to 29 in bgs. Also keep in mind that there is a DR effect on secondaries past 25%. I’m still playing with which builds I like most myself.

+3 all stats is a Nightmare Tear, max WOTLK JC item
On both my 10 and 20 huntards, I'm having better results in pve and pvp with 2/2 agi/crit gems.
You could also go for survival instead and roll with 2/2 agi/stam gems, which can win you a 1v1 or 1v2 a lot of times when facing similar geared twinks. +40-48 stam from 20-24 gems is nice.

There's only crit/haste/versa gems and TBC gears already have those stats on a lot of items, so you'll want to stack your mastery in off-pieces like bracers/belt/neck/rings, gemming as you'd like for either survival or capping stats.
I agree with the 20-25% across the board then mastery stack, tho not all classes really need haste stacked

+3 all stats is a Nightmare Tear, max WOTLK JC item
On both my 10 and 20 huntards, I'm having better results in pve and pvp with 2/2 agi/crit gems.
You could also go for survival instead and roll with 2/2 agi/stam gems, which can win you a 1v1 or 1v2 a lot of times when facing similar geared twinks. +40-48 stam from 20-24 gems is nice.

There's only crit/haste/versa gems and TBC gears already have those stats on a lot of items, so you'll want to stack your mastery in off-pieces like bracers/belt/neck/rings, gemming as you'd like for either survival or capping stats.
I agree with the 20-25% across the board then mastery stack, tho not all classes really need haste stacked

Haste is definitely arguable for some classes but I love it on sham. I'm currently prioritizing mastery>crit>haste on ele atm.

Some may argue vers is more important but I'd rather proc lavaburst more often. /shrug

Last edited:
I think it’s less about SPEC and more about what ROLE you want to play in BGs...

Are you going for...
- Mid Brawler? Vers/Haste (Aurora)
- Sustained Priority Target Damage? Vers/Mastery (Harmonious)
- Infrequent Burst Damage (I.e. you roam at the outskirts of fights waiting for a big burst window before retreating again)? Vers/Crit (Quickblade)
- Frequent Burst Damage (I.e. you have burst, but spend more uptime in fights as opposed to “tagging and retreating”)? Vers/Mastery (Harmonious)
- Mid Healer? Vers/Haste (Aurora)
- Pocket Healer? Vers/Mastery (Harmonious)
- FC? Vers (Adaptable)

For Gems, I’m a believer in the +3 Primary ones, as opposed to +2/+2’s...it’s my opinion that primary stats scale better and are more valuable in BGs, but I know there are others who put more of an emphasis on stacking secondaries to certain thresholds.

Open to alternative views if anyone disagrees.

I had the same question today.

I had to buy 2 gems. Went to pvp vendor in orgrimmar and had to choose between 2agi/2crit and 3 agi gems. I know crit rating gets lower once you enter bgs (since you're lvl 29 in bgs) but I went with the crit gems.

I've also seen a gem with +3 to all stats, I dunno where to get it tho. Maybe someone can enlighten.

Nightmare Tear a vendor item from Northrend Jewelcrafting. Buy it in Dalaran for 4 Jewelcrafter's tokens.
[doublepost=1607092228,1607092065][/doublepost]
I think it’s less about SPEC and more about what ROLE you want to play in BGs...

Are you going for...
- Mid Brawler? Vers/Haste (Aurora)
- Sustained Priority Target Damage? Vers/Mastery (Harmonious)
- Infrequent Burst Damage (I.e. you roam at the outskirts of fights waiting for a big burst window before retreating again)? Vers/Crit (Quickblade)
- Frequent Burst Damage (I.e. you have burst, but spend more uptime in fights as opposed to “tagging and retreating”)? Vers/Mastery (Harmonious)
- Mid Healer? Vers/Haste (Aurora)
- Pocket Healer? Vers/Mastery (Harmonious)
- FC? Vers (Adaptable)

For Gems, I’m a believer in the +3 Primary ones, as opposed to +2/+2’s...it’s my opinion that primary stats scale better and are more valuable in BGs, but I know there are others who put more of an emphasis on stacking secondaries to certain thresholds.

Open to alternative views if anyone disagrees.

A bit of mix for me, I went with max agility and had 0% haste which I did not like as I felt my energy regeneration for feral druid was too slow. I decided to go with a little haste and crit in gems with the rest as max primary.

Nightmare Tear a vendor item from Northrend Jewelcrafting. Buy it in Dalaran for 4 Jewelcrafter's tokens.
[doublepost=1607092228,1607092065][/doublepost]

A bit of mix for me, I went with max agility and had 0% haste which I did not like as I felt my energy regeneration for feral druid was too slow. I decided to go with a little haste and crit in gems with the rest as max primary.

How do you like dw druid compared to 2h with wep dmg? I'd imagine double ef> agi? idk :(

I'm looking at haste/stam for my rogue, as my haste is currently still low. As a result my energy regen is not good.

Maybe I should try to find some haste/agi, or another combination, but right now, my haste is at 12%, not good enough I think.

Gearing up a prot pal, frost DK and guardian druid. I'm aiming for Steady Talasite for both the paladin and DK, since they'll have enough strength with crusader.
Guardian druid not sure what I'll socket.Steady talasite seems good, but I need some haste too.

Last edited:
as long as you are vet: Until Talasites get nerfed you should be using a mix of Steady Talasites and +3 Stat gems... +2+2 main/stam are garbage as long as talasites are around.

I have 4 characters i need to gear and would eventually want to have gear for all specs - hunter/shaman/druid/warrior.
I also have a JC, but can only pick a few JC designs due to the inherit limitations placed on northrend JC. I kind of want to know what people want to buy so i can make it available for them and myself.

I've seen people stacking harmonious gear with talasite as survival and it looks intriguing at least. Has anyone tried gemming haste on a survival hunter? or even with haste will the dots not tick fast enough to make it worth it?

When people play resto shaman/druid do any of them gear haste/master or vers/mastery?

Part of the problem is i can't BG because i am subbed and the brief period where i did i didn't see any twinks surprisingly so i couldn't really get a read on what was good or not.

How do you like dw druid compared to 2h with wep dmg? I'd imagine double ef> agi? idk :(

It is not as good as 2h, I thought the extra secondaries and double enchants would be a benefit but they are overall weaker in melee than using a 2h. EF is far superior to +3 agility and mana oils are not as effective as weapon damage for melee. I had to try it :)

I have 4 characters i need to gear and would eventually want to have gear for all specs - hunter/shaman/druid/warrior.
I also have a JC, but can only pick a few JC designs due to the inherit limitations placed on northrend JC. I kind of want to know what people want to buy so i can make it available for them and myself.

I've seen people stacking harmonious gear with talasite as survival and it looks intriguing at least. Has anyone tried gemming haste on a survival hunter? or even with haste will the dots not tick fast enough to make it worth it?

When people play resto shaman/druid do any of them gear haste/master or vers/mastery?

Part of the problem is i can't BG because i am subbed and the brief period where i did i didn't see any twinks surprisingly so i couldn't really get a read on what was good or not.

Being impossible to kill is more important than your main stat. Talasites are the best. If you can stack versatility high enough +20% at least... its not a problem... most healers are only running around with 1700 hp (mainly because everybody got lazy after all the MEGA NERFS that crippled their egos) and you can just smoke them regardless since there are so many interrupts.

I've seen various Mistweavers running around with 3k HP and +25% verse... good luck dealing with that.

Reactions: Zib
It is not as good as 2h, I thought the extra secondaries and double enchants would be a benefit but they are overall weaker in melee than using a 2h. EF is far superior to +3 agility and mana oils are not as effective as weapon damage for melee. I had to try it :)
How would that translate to the Guardian artifact weapon? Would you go for a 2hander instead of it?

Being impossible to kill is more important than your main stat. Talasites are the best. If you can stack versatility high enough +20% at least... its not a problem... most healers are only running around with 1700 hp (mainly because everybody got lazy after all the MEGA NERFS that crippled their egos) and you can just smoke them regardless since there are so many interrupts.

I've seen various Mistweavers running around with 3k HP and +25% verse... good luck dealing with that.
I was thinking that talasite on survival hunter was a good move. For MM, agility + crit gems but some people seem to favour +3 main stat.

Not sure if warrior should be pure talasite or not. Do ret/dk/dh use talasite?

Last edited:
I was thinking that talasite on survival hunter was a good move. For MM, agility + crit gems but some people seem to favour +3 main stat.

It just depends... just like any random game... if you are a hunter that went max main stat and all mastery you will get top dps and look cool if your team is winning... if the game is even or you are at a slight disadvantage you will get farmed because you are just a glass cannon pile.

Stacking Talasites/versatility just let you be "good" all of the time, but you won't ever be awesome or terrible.

But as far as secondary stats, I cant stand playing with out 20% haste at least... just makes things feel more fluid even tho its not the "best".

Gearing now though pretty much depends on your realm... like bleeding hallow is just dead as far as the AH goes now because all of the prepatch i28s have been picked though and nobody is farming... so you can get garbage with out slots or with out +speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zib
Honestly the best possible classes for pure talasite builds are strength classes because crusader pretty much negates the need to gem for str.

You *might* consider pure talasite on other melee classes just given the fact that theyre melee but you gotta consider that most melee classes also have considerable mitigation and outs that they didnt have in BFA. So you can get potentially get away with gearing 2/2 gems and being a little quicker on your Turtle aspect or faster on the self heals and pickier about your fights.

There are no hard and fast rules about gemming. Its an extremely flexible stat allocation that can let you build to fit your circumstances. If Im a warrior with consistent, reliable heals I might consider 2/2 gems. Gonna want a little extra padding on my health but giving up 34-40 strength might not be the wisest choice if I've got heals for days.

But if you're a stupid and reckless warrior (like me) and/or are playing without heals, Talasite makes more sense. Crusader offers enough strength and its more important that I live and spamstring/pummel bot than be a scorecard hero. Being a fat little dwarf just rolling around in mid with 5 bazillion health hitting people for 50 is kinda funny, after all.

Point taken. But another question then specific to warriors: does arms still prefer crit to haste, and does fury still prefer haste to crit? Secondly, even if either spec prefers one secondary to the other, does it really matter when 2 stam 2 str or talasite exists?

Basically, can i (substantively) eliminate conisderation of 2 str 2 secondaries in this context or the general context for pvp as it is now?

And i added my question up at the start but are int classes gemming +3 main stat?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread