EU+US Icy Chill Enchant for rogues

I wonder if anyone has been experimenting with Icy Chill enchant for rogues? As of right now, rogues are lacking a slow, or movement speed effect to keep up with targets. I am well aware of druids simply being able to shape shift the slow. But what about other classes?
Does anyone know the proc rate, and the effect of the enchant as of to date? Back in the day, the enchant used to proc A LOT, and the movement slow was suposedly 60%
(+ 20% attack speed decrease). My theory is, that you can use weapon swapping macros, just like warriors do to gain multiple crusader strikes. So you open with icy chill enchant, and as soon as the proc is applied, u swap back to your main weapons. We will have to take the extra global into account to see whether this experiment will prove to be worth or not. You could also mix it up between 2 icy chill enchants, or 1 icy chill enchant + 1 elemental force to tweak the tac tic, and see what works.

In situations where the enemy is forced to fight when you open, it obviously won't be worth. But as soon as the opponent has a kiting opportunity, it might come in handy.

Let me know what you think.

I wonder if anyone has been experimenting with Icy Chill enchant for rogues? As of right now, rogues are lacking a slow, or movement speed effect to keep up with targets. I am well aware of druids simply being able to shape shift the slow. But what about other classes?
Does anyone know the proc rate, and the effect of the enchant as of to date? Back in the day, the enchant used to proc A LOT, and the movement slow was suposedly 60%
(+ 20% attack speed decrease). My theory is, that you can use weapon swapping macros, just like warriors do to gain multiple crusader strikes. So you open with icy chill enchant, and as soon as the proc is applied, u swap back to your main weapons. We will have to take the extra global into account to see whether this experiment will prove to be worth or not. You could also mix it up between 2 icy chill enchants, or 1 icy chill enchant + 1 elemental force to tweak the tac tic, and see what works.

In situations where the enemy is forced to fight when you open, it obviously won't be worth. But as soon as the opponent has a kiting opportunity, it might come in handy.

Let me know what you think.

The only situation icy chill will help you sit on a target is if you're being slowed yourself and you aren't trying to kill a Druid, Hunter, Mage, Monk, Shaman or Paladin, granted they have their movement spells available.

In situations where you're being slowed and it's relevant to the situation would be a 1v1 against a Warrior or a 2v2+ against a Warrior + Lock/Priest/Rogue.

As you can see the situations are extremely rare and limited; hence why people don't care to have it in a gear set.

The only situation icy chill will help you sit on a target is if you're being slowed yourself and you aren't trying to kill a Druid, Hunter, Mage, Monk, Shaman or Paladin, granted they have their movement spells available.

In situations where you're being slowed and it's relevant to the situation would be a 1v1 against a Warrior or a 2v2+ against a Warrior + Lock/Priest/Rogue.

As you can see the situations are extremely rare and limited; hence why people don't care to have it in a gear set.

Even if hunters don't have their post haste disengage ready, they will still outrun you unless someone slows them, or unless you have evasion up for the concussive shot. The slow would help you stick to the target. I definitely think it's worth looking into. Even if the situations are of rare occasions, it's all about min-maxing. If the experiment fails, then that's that. At least we can say we looked into it.

Even if hunters don't have their post haste disengage ready, they will still outrun you unless someone slows them, or unless you have evasion up for the concussive shot. The slow would help you stick to the target. I definitely think it's worth looking into. Even if the situations are of rare occasions, it's all about min-maxing. If the experiment fails, then that's that. At least we can say we looked into it.

Mvq said:

I disagree with testing it. You can simply theory craft it and come up with an answer.

I get what you're saying. I kinda repeated that, which is why you quoted yourself again, I guess. Twonks are all about min-maxing thought, right? Consumables, different gear sets for different situations etc. I don't see this as anything different from that. It would be cool if someone who has tried it out could leave a comment regarding their experiment. If time shows that it hasn't been tinkered with, then I incline to try it myself and see how rewarding/unrewarding it might turn out to be. Again, at least we can say that we looked into it, and bring it to light. I am surely not the first one to have these thoughts on the matter.

I tried a heap of different weapon chants on my Fury before turning Vet. Icy Chill was one of them, and it is a really low proc rate. Off the top of my head it was like a 2 - 3% proc rate.
Hardbass is right, more than likely it won't proc on an opener, or ur next few shots for that matter. I was hoping I could use the slow to help my Fury, but I was so disappointed when I saw how bad the proc rate was :(

The enchant has a dogshit proc rate 9/10 you wont get a proc on an opener.

I tried a heap of different weapon chants on my Fury before turning Vet. Icy Chill was one of them, and it is a really low proc rate. Off the top of my head it was like a 2 - 3% proc rate.
Hardbass is right, more than likely it won't proc on an opener, or ur next few shots for that matter. I was hoping I could use the slow to help my Fury, but I was so disappointed when I saw how bad the proc rate was :(

Thank you guys so much for sharing your experiences. This was exactly what I was looking for, nullifying speculations.

Icy chill is shit I'd rather use fiery weapon

Last time I checked, which was many expansions ago, Icy Chill has one of the worst proc rates in the game and does not proc off special attacks, only normal attacks?

It was tested in Vanilla/BC and has always been considered a terrible option.

Reactions: Mvq
Swapping to Icy Chill is not worth the GCDs and the damage you would lose.

Icy chill is so bad it was bugged all the way until the end of BC (or first patch of Wotlk?) and instead of applying a 25% reduced attack speed coefficient to the target it gave the target the 25 % IAS buff.

___edit ok nvm they fixed it in the end of BC , not wotlk

2.3.2: Icy Chill Enchant: The triggered effect from this enchantment will now cause a melee slow and movement snare as intended.

true story

Even deathfrost is betta

Last edited:
its always been bad. but one thing you could do is get a dagger offhand for the higher chance to proc poisons

Users who are viewing this thread