Hunters - Vers or Mastery?

Is versatility scaling better than mastery for hunters or not? I'm trying to gear a hunter right now and I'm not sure which one to focus on.

For MM, prefer mastery here.

And mastery is A LOT harder to gear.

C'mon, Warglaive, it's not that hard to gear mastery. Challenge accepted, looked at my bank's ilvl 28 greens. :) From farming average 1-2 hours a day for past 30 days. Looking at mail armor that has highest mastery (and preferably with socket) below.

Will concede that it would take many months of farming to get everything with socket and the stats one wants. But the below would make a very competitive mastery hunter after some effort (equivalent to running Old Hillsbrad 60 times haw haw).

helm
9 mastery / 6 crit
socket

shoulder
7 mastery / 4 crit
no socket

chest
4 mastery / 10 crit
socket

wrist
9 mastery
no socket

gloves
7 mastery / 3 versa
socket

waist
6 mastery / 4 haste
socket

legs
9 mastery / 6 haste
socket

boots
6 mastery / 4 versa
socket

neck
18 mastery / 7 versa
no socket

cloak
4 mastery / 3 crit
socket

trinket 1
10 mastery
socket

trinket 2
10 mastery
socket or from dragonling

ring 1
15 mastery / 11 haste
socket

ring 2
18 mastery / 7 haste
no socket

If he's just starting and none of that is on his AH, how long should expect to grind to get that?

How long have you been acquiring it?

If he hasnt been doing it (guessing not since hes asking what to get) he doesnt have a bank full of greens like you do.

edit- I see you answered it, the questions are rhetorical. "Hard" is easily equated to time invested, especially on a deadline.

(equivalent to running Old Hillsbrad 60 times haw haw).

Well... i deserve that. LOL. But that's not necessary... there's other options. finding socket BoE is kinda necessary.
(and it still didnt take me months ;))

I agree on mastery, just not the ease of acquisition. I personally got the vers first and i can grind BoE as a vet and still BG.

Last edited:
For mm/bm go for harmonious gear that leans more towards mastery

For surv get harmonious that leans more towards versatility
Or you can get 6/6 items and then try and balance it out so you can play both :)

go vers and mast (both good for mm aswell).
Vers is good if you fight with melee and it gives nice boost for vulpera trick too.
I think haste is good when you dotting enemies grp at range + ele force enchant.
More haste = quicker focus generation + quicker dots + more eleforce proc, etc
[doublepost=1611497994,1611497807][/doublepost]
go vers and mast (both good for mm aswell).
Vers is good if you fight with melee and it gives nice boost for vulpera trick too.
I think haste is good when you dotting enemies grp at range + ele force enchant.
More haste = quicker focus generation + quicker dots + more eleforce proc, etc
Just working on surv
Why versa, and why agi/crit gems over 3agi? and why no haste at all? I'm just curious.

Just working on surv with vers+mast stats + agi gems. Need to test that build :)

Why versa, and why agi/crit gems over 3agi? and why no haste at all? I'm just curious.
when in mm, you want max range .. thats mast .. this is an edge between you and other range class .. you hit them, they cant hit you .. mast dont just increase your range, it increases your dmg too .. the primary goal of a mm is you consistently hit outside the range of other range class .. the 3 agil increases your dmg .. i tested agil/crit, there is literally no diff in my total dmg output with crit !!! ended up i am always mastery, and next in line is agil .. versa if its there and you cant remove it, then let it be, but opt for the highest mast, versa increase your dmg, but compare to agil and mastery its not worth it, as for the dmg reduction, try to hit enemy outside their range, if they cant hit you, versa dmg reduction is useless. haste you will need some, enough to lower your aim shot, when you have zero haste, your aim shot is a miserable 2.4 sec cast .. so try to reduce that, when throwing out aim shot with a long cast time, that amount of time must not be enough for the enemy to close in on you and make you within their hitting range, take note with shaman and druids, they can shapeshift and have a speed burst to get to you

when in mm, you want max range .. thats mast .. this is an edge between you and other range class .. you hit them, they cant hit you .. mast dont just increase your range, it increases your dmg too .. the primary goal of a mm is you consistently hit outside the range of other range class .. the 3 agil increases your dmg .. i tested agil/crit, there is literally no diff in my total dmg output with crit !!! ended up i am always mastery, and next in line is agil .. versa if its there and you cant remove it, then let it be, but opt for the highest mast, versa increase your dmg, but compare to agil and mastery its not worth it, as for the dmg reduction, try to hit enemy outside their range, if they cant hit you, versa dmg reduction is useless. haste you will need some, enough to lower your aim shot, when you have zero haste, your aim shot is a miserable 2.4 sec cast .. so try to reduce that, when throwing out aim shot with a long cast time, that amount of time must not be enough for the enemy to close in on you and make you within their hitting range, take note with shaman and druids, they can shapeshift and have a speed burst to get to you

I was asking Goohd about his stat prio on Surv. MM is not interesting.

If I were making an MM Hunter, I’d go full Harmonious i28s weighted towards Mastery as much as possible and socketed with 2/2 Agi/Crit gems.

If you’re playing MM and ever run into a situation where you wish you had more stam and armor, the problem is likely with your positioning...with high Mastery your range is silly and you have plenty of kiting tools at your disposal.

As a melee main, MM Hunters that stack Stam are easy pickings for me because they can’t output enough damage, and when they get CC’d in this bracket they’re dead anyway so all the Stam in the world doesn’t matter. The only MM Hunters that give me a hard time are the glass cannon ones who can shoot me from a mile away, chunk 3/4 my hp with an Aimed Shot Crit, and keep me healing while they reposition and build focus.

If you’re wanting to run Surv (melee) or BM (less range than MM), you’ll need to think about Stam, but imo as MM go big glass cannon or go home.

I don’t believe any +2agil +2mast gems are available for level 20s
Oh, I should have looked first. That makes sense. Agility it is lol.
[doublepost=1611601242,1611601159][/doublepost]
If I were making an MM Hunter, I’d go full Harmonious i28s weighted towards Mastery as much as possible and socketed with 2/2 Agi/Crit gems.

If you’re playing MM and ever run into a situation where you wish you had more stam and armor, the problem is likely with your positioning...with high Mastery your range is silly and you have plenty of kiting tools at your disposal.

As a melee main, MM Hunters that stack Stam are easy pickings for me because they can’t output enough damage, and when they get CC’d in this bracket they’re dead anyway so all the Stam in the world doesn’t matter. The only MM Hunters that give me a hard time are the glass cannon ones who can shoot me from a mile away, chunk 3/4 my hp with an Aimed Shot Crit, and keep me healing while they reposition and build focus.

If you’re wanting to run Surv (melee) or BM (less range than MM), you’ll need to think about Stam, but imo as MM go big glass cannon or go home.
Yeah, you bring up a good point about the range. If you're not in range to get hit and you pump major damage no real need for Stam.

Thank you guys very much for the input. I honestly didn't expect so many people to jump in on the conversation.

I think I am gonna stick with vers, as I'm probably gonna play arenas with survival.
But I might switch to mastery gear If I feel like I can't do enough damage.
I'll just see how it goes.
Again, thank you guys!

As a melee main, MM Hunters that stack Stam are easy pickings for me because they can’t output enough damage.

This is very true.. Talking about stacking stam, I have encountered several surv hunt who goes stam/armor too and their agil is so low ie. their dmg is bad.. Get as much mastery as you possibly can as a mm, then agility, and "some" haste.. You don't need crit as a mm hunter, the crit given to mm hunter is enough and having more makes no significant dmg output.

Users who are viewing this thread