How to get 29 greens?

Odal

Veteran
So, I’m looking into updating some of my 29s. Apparently arcane mage is one of the more scumbaggy ones so I might as well go with that. I have an old frost mage from Wotlk days I twinked and then they removed everything about mage that I liked in cata, so she’s kind of been gathering dust. (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/dragonmaw/Pikul)

I am kind of curious to see how I’d like it now but I don’t know how people are getting gear.. I was looking at the armory sticky and saw a lot of boe greens. What is the method that people are using to get this new green gear? Best I can figure is hoping the suffix with the secondaries I want shows up at the appropriate level on the AH. But is there an efficient way to farm this myself? Some of the stuff I’ve read here seems either horribly wrong or severely lacking in details. Please lern me the right way.

You have a couple of nice pieces of gear that you can build a very strong twink around. I've not seen a DF wand in nearly 10 years and most people went for Skullbreaker rather than Zealot's Robe, good choice btw.

Most level 29 ilvl 34 BOE green items are world drops, but there are a few dungeons that have a concentration of level 29 gear. Razor Fen Kraul is the best place to get level 29 BOEs. The frog near the end boss will 99% drop a blue BOE at level 29. Maraudon also drops greens that scale to 29. However these dungeons both scale to 59, and the higher level character you farm with, the more chance the greens that drop will be higher than 29. I have ran these dungeons with a 100 and 110 and found I got less 29 greens on my 110 than the 100. Ofcourse that could have just been bad RNG for me, but I obtained just about all my green gear from these dungeons.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/darkmoon-faire/faitherted

Good luck, I've done nearly 100 runs in RFK and have many blue BOEs from the frog and a smaller number of greens from chests and drops. Maraudon is such a pain to farm I could only stomach about 30 runs. My ilvl 34 ring dropped in Maraudon.

I was thinking that about Maraudon runs too... there's no quick way to reset them except by hearthing. Sounds pretty painful. I tried RFK and everything was scaled up. I'll try some more though and see if I get any luck.

Edit - and as for skullbreaker, it was an easy choice as mage can't use maces. Oh also have deadman's hand :)

I run quite a few Razorfen Kraul(s) yesterday and one Maraudon.

RK did drop a lot of unscaled BOEs from the Toad Boss - but a lot of useless ones. It seemed like there are 2 guaranteed-to-spawn chests in the dungeon, that always dropped some unscaled loot as it seemed (sometimes the chests were locked). Maraudon didn't have any of those and seemed way less eficient to run in the shallow experience.

Anyway, wouldn't be better to run those with a lvl30~ish friend by your side? That way I think some of the green and blues BOEs that dropped from mob could scale to lower levels and not the usual 50-60 that max lvl chars seems to get.

(...) However these dungeons both scale to 59, and the higher level character you farm with, the more chance the greens that drop will be higher than 29. (...)

It seems truth, since I farmed with a hunter 101 and a rogue 91 - and the rogue got more ~20ish BOEs. But it needs more looking in to, since I just realized it might have been because the rogue can open the locked chests.

Last edited:
I was thinking of leveling a hybrid level 34 or so character to run tank/dps/heals for rando groups and just get boes that way. Anyone know of an optimum level for this?

In theory RFK should pose no problem to a group of well geard 29s.

In theory also, if you were to run it with a max level but set loot to all and you looted everything on your 29 that it should scale to your level more often.

I've not been able to play wow for a month now due to hardware issues, but from October at the latest, the frog was dropping 29 scaled blue boes. Some were bis like zealot's blade, forest tracker epaulets, combatant claymore and starfaller. Others were trash like burning war axe. I was not farming on a 120 though.

In theory RFK should pose no problem to a group of well geard 29s.

In theory also, if you were to run it with a max level but set loot to all and you looted everything on your 29 that it should scale to your level more often.

I've not been able to play wow for a month now due to hardware issues, but from October at the latest, the frog was dropping 29 scaled blue boes. Some were bis like zealot's blade, forest tracker epaulets, combatant claymore and starfaller. Others were trash like burning war axe. I was not farming on a 120 though.
Those blues are static and don’t scale which makes it useful to farm on a high level. Wowhead has pretty much all the info on what it drops.

I was thinking of leveling a hybrid level 34 or so character to run tank/dps/heals for rando groups and just get boes that way. Anyone know of an optimum level for this?

I think it is levels 35-59 in RFK off the top of my head (I've not checked)
[doublepost=1543755485,1543755435][/doublepost]
Those blues are static and don’t scale which makes it useful to farm on a high level. Wowhead has pretty much all the info on what it drops.

It's one of the few things wowhead gets right :)

Also, RFK's mob density seems higher than Maraudon.
I believe a lowbie shaman or a druid would be a perfect pair for a max level clearing the instances (they have constant speed increases).

Also, RFK's mob density seems higher than Maraudon.
I believe a lowbie shaman or a druid would be a perfect pair for a max level clearing the instances (they have constant speed increases).

Yes that and all the dead ends in Maraudon make it such a horrible farming experience :)

I mentioned Maraudon because more often than not I would farm at least one 29 green BOE in each run. Uldaman is another place I've farmed for 29 gear, but I've had just one piece from there in over 20 runs.

I think it is levels 35-59 in RFK off the top of my head (I've not checked)
[doublepost=1543755485,1543755435][/doublepost]

It's one of the few things wowhead gets right :)
Just checked on a mid-30s toon and it's 30-60 it can be queued for. The main thing I'm wondering is what level would be best? On my 29 I've gotten as low as level 21 boe greens and up to 29 as well. Maybe it's just a random range of -8 through -0 levels? No idea how this works.

I managed to kill https://www.wowhead.com/npc=14492/verifonix 5 times today. In all 5 times he dropped scaled down BOE greens that used to be lvl35-40.

All items' requirement were three levels under me (am 29, they were 26). So it is a clue at least about BOEs dropped by rares in the world.

TLDR; Make a lvl32 to farm 29 green BOEs by killing rares?

They certainly do, there are a few rare elites in Cape of Stranglethorn that drop lvl 29 greens. I had been farming https://www.wowhead.com/npc=2535/maury-club-foot-wilkins and https://www.wowhead.com/npc=43556/dead-eye-drederick-mcgumm for https://www.wowhead.com/item=15935/durable-rod but I gave up, I think the rod is a world drop, it is what I was after in Uldaman with no joy too.

All dungeons between 30-60 should in theory drop 29 scaled gear. I still believe RFK is the best bet for farming though.

Users who are viewing this thread