How the heck do you solo elite packs and dungeon bosses?

Zorch

Even the litmus test for dungeon soloing specs, Stockades, the groups of three elite mobs have around 5k health each and the bosses have between 25-30k health each.

How in the world do you put out enough damage to kill them before they kill you? Or are you fully pimped out before you even attempt?

I messed around on a fresh’ish 20 Paladin a month or so ago in Ramparts and don’t even think I could clear the first two mobs at the bridge near the entrance (maybe I did? Either way, it was an absolute mess and I stopped there).

Is everyone on this board just sexy champions or is there something major I’m missing, lol.

Is everyone on this board just sexy champions?
DUY1BQBF_o.gif

Are you just trying to solo for solo sake? You can make a 10-15 to get a better feel for it, they have a lot easier go.

Can still play em on unsubbed accounts too, or use them on a main account to keep the party in personal loot mode.

edit- you lose a bunch of dungeons tho that they cant enter at that level.

Even the litmus test for dungeon soloing specs, Stockades, the groups of three elite mobs have around 5k health each and the bosses have between 25-30k health each.

How in the world do you put out enough damage to kill them before they kill you? Or are you fully pimped out before you even attempt?

I messed around on a fresh’ish 20 Paladin a month or so ago in Ramparts and don’t even think I could clear the first two mobs at the bridge near the entrance (maybe I did? Either way, it was an absolute mess and I stopped there).

Is everyone on this board just sexy champions or is there something major I’m missing, lol.
Soloing is a skill.
But it's a skill that takes really good gear.
"Really good gear" means min-maxing EVERYTHING, and having all your bags full of alternate sets.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Are you just trying to solo for solo sake? You can make a 10-15 to get a better feel for it, they have a lot easier go.

Can still play em on unsubbed accounts too, or use them on a main account to keep the party in personal loot mode.

Edit - you lose a bunch of dungeons tho that they cant enter at that level.
I was just screwing around, but realized it’s not nearly as simple or easy as dinging 20, getting some gear, and giving it a go (not that anyone particularly said this was the way to approach it).

I literally just don’t see how a tank spec can put out enough damage or a DPS spec could stay alive even remotely long enough to down groups of elites or bosses... doesn’t seem possible, haha.

10 could be fun actually — I like to try weird experiments though, like seeing if I could do it alone with 5 Rogues playing in windowed mode by adjusting mouse settings so you don’t have to click in the separate windows or Alt-Tab, using a main and then 4 on /follow using /assist commands and one-shotting bosses and stealthing past all trash, etc.

been playing this game too long, lol.

10 could be fun actually

I made an 11 DK last week, 10 just doesnt have enough abilities for me usually, hoping 2x crusader would be really strong enough to breeze thru solo... it was OK, not nearly as good as i hoped tho. Probably gonna delete it for space.

Made a 15 druid and that is waaay better, even just the stealthing past trash. The level 15 talent is pretty strong too.

It's all personal preference, and I tip my hat to the 20 solo guys. More patience than me. ;)

I made an 11 DK last week, 10 just doesnt have enough abilities for me usually, hoping 2x crusader would be really strong enough to breeze thru solo... it was OK, not nearly as good as i hoped tho. Probably gonna delete it for space.

Made a 15 druid and that is waaay better, even just the stealthing past trash. The level 15 talent is pretty strong too.

It's all personal preference, and I tip my hat to the 20 solo guys. More patience than me. ;)
Is there a sweetspot or way to determine how scaling goes level by level (like 10 would be easiest, 11–12 same difficulty but more skills available, 13-15 jump in difficulty, 20 obviously much harder, etc.? Most specs have the ability I want by level 12 or so, but I don’t want to waste time if the dungeons are fricking hard by that point.)

I agree at level 10 most specs don’t have the ability or abilities you want. 12 usually has a couple more good ones and 15 obviously opens up a talent you can choose from.

It's just a factor of how much the enemy health increases per level. I havent looked at it close yet, but if you just take note how much a particular mob's health goes up at each level increase you can figure it out pretty easy from that if you need.

Back in 98-99 I think the first boss of Nelth's Lair health increase was something like 40% from level 98 to 99.

99 was more popular due to top of bracket, but 98 was much easier to solo same-level PvE. It was WoD /legion gearing, whereas 101 got to use end-game ilevel legion BoE gear and that was where the crazy OP stuff really started... fun times.

At our level here, it's all gonna be pretty easy until you get closer to 20. 15 not only gets you a talent, but i think a few more dungeons and socket options too. I think the stronger BoE with socket/tert chances are certain levels too... I see a lot more 11 and 14 BoE with socket and overly-high ilvl, it gaps funny at lower levels. @DeLindsay knows all about that.

edit- oddly enough 49 sucks hard this xpac even with SL gear... not sure why that is.

Is there a sweetspot or way to determine how scaling goes level by level (like 10 would be easiest, 11–12 same difficulty but more skills available, 13-15 jump in difficulty, 20 obviously much harder, etc.? Most specs have the ability I want by level 12 or so, but I don’t want to waste time if the dungeons are fricking hard by that point.)

I agree at level 10 most specs don’t have the ability or abilities you want. 12 usually has a couple more good ones and 15 obviously opens up a talent you can choose from.
Every 5 levels there's a noticble spike in mob health/damage, making 14/19 better for soloing pve stuff than 15/20

Soloing dungeons is mainly about patience, as well as having enough durability and damage [self-heals or access to self-heals also counts as durability].

That said, a "fresh" level 20 prot paladin can definitely solo many/most dungeons with some relative ease [though getting crusader enchant before doing that greatly helps, as it also boosts your healing and durability]. Especially if that prot paladin doesn't try to pull more than it can chew [which is easily 1 or more trash pack, usually].

IMHO, as someone who has and plays a non-BiS prot paladin [with only one BC gem helm with 3 +1 str gems], and soloed a few different dungeons, a "fresh 20" protadin with ilvl 28 greens from a MoP vendor, as well as a ilvl 30-33 artifact weapon, and maybe Crusader enchant as well [not sure yet if Crusader is required, but it definitely helps], is durable enough [and deals decent ST and AoE damage] to solo a fair amount of vanilla/BC dungeons [with the exception of a few with trickier-than-normal bosses]. And if a fight gets a little too close, the protadin can use their holy power on WG self-heals instead of the shield skill. WG-healing is especially relevant if fighting foes which drain mana and keeps one OOM.

Last edited:
with style and grace.

it's not too hard on non gimmick fights as a geared healer. just... heal.
geared tanks can prolly do all trash n many bosses w selfhealing.
dps classes is where you generally have to be trickier often.

a fresh ding w ordinary 28s slapped on it to start will probably have a rough time.
chant em all up and it'll probably do alright.
more economically, go for the easier bosses with the more socket drop loots first.

Patience ("It will probably take about 3min to kill this boss without the trash, but it will safer");
Best in Slot gear ("Crusader gives me 100 Strength when I have less than 200 by default");
Criativity ("I don't have to eat those long Fireball casts, just gonna LoS 'em before the cast finishes");
Dungeon Muscle Memory™ ("If I use a speed pot, I can pull this entire room and LoS 'em on the next wall. Also, I can pop all my cooldowns here, because I should get by the next boss in exact 176,7777 - repeating of course - seconds, so they will be up by then").
[doublepost=1612663142,1612662820][/doublepost]As an extra bit of info, I found the gf'ed https://www.wowhead.com/item=133595/gronntooth-war-horn?bonus=0 trinket to be very useful in massive pulls, especially in TBC dungeons.

You should be killing enough mobs to give the trinket 100% uptime in those pulls, plus the extra damage against demons.

Patience ("It will probably take about 3min to kill this boss without the trash, but it will safer");
Best in Slot gear ("Crusader gives me 100 Strength when I have less than 200 by default");
Criativity ("I don't have to eat those long Fireball casts, just gonna LoS 'em before the cast finishes");
Dungeon Muscle Memory™ ("If I use a speed pot, I can pull this entire room and LoS 'em on the next wall. Also, I can pop all my cooldowns here, because I should get by the next boss in exact 176,7777 - repeating of course - seconds, so they will be up by then").
[doublepost=1612663142,1612662820][/doublepost]As an extra bit of info, I found the gf'ed https://www.wowhead.com/item=133595/gronntooth-war-horn?bonus=0 trinket to be very useful in massive pulls, especially in TBC dungeons.

You should be killing enough mobs to give the trinket 100% uptime in those pulls, plus the extra damage against demons.
Literally the most awkward reply I’ve ever received on this board.

Thanks?

Well This is the way :D

IDk which class is the best for solo (like palas just heal themself forever and has bubble even god can't hit you) but yes get the good gear, put enchants to them to be even better, get some decent buffs (like darkmoon fortune teller stuff). Also I'm a hunter and I think hunters very good class for solo. You have a personal tank, now you have a very useful ice trap. Before I start searching prismatic stuff I had 140 agility, now I have 190, (and I don'"t have enchanted because I want maxing out my skinning, and I can't find a place where I can level it, I start to think not possible anymore) yesterday just killed a boos in Blackrock Depths which was impossible one or two month before. Also I noticed the mobs now respawn either in the old days where u need to personally "reset the instance" so if you spent 1-2 hour in an instance mobs keep coming back which can be a nasty suprise.

Users who are viewing this thread