how is level 85 twinking?

christred

Veteran
been playing 99 and 70 a lot and really enjoy them, i wanna make something in the 80 range now, i saw a group of level 85s, they were saying its a lot of fun, but would it be better to play 89 or 80? just curious about what the 80-89 community's opinion is on 85

It's really personal preference. I've always played 85 until this week where i've made 4x 80s that I intent to use for Heralds boosting.
89's obviously have higher main stats, but 80s have the most offstats. It also depends on what class you wish to play. Does your class benefit alot from mastery? If it is the case, then you should consider going 85/89, as 80s don't really have access to great gear with mastery whereas 85s can use DS gear, which provides a ton of mastery.

Is there really anything used at 89 that isn't the same at 85? Gear wise? I just assumed it was all Cata epics...

There should be almost no difference between 85 and 89 in BG, right? And also no reason to choose one over the other?

edit- oh, and while we're at it... has anyone tested gurthalak on the PTR to see if it got nerfed? Going around lately.

Is there really anything used at 89 that isn't the same at 85? Gear wise? I just assumed it was all Cata epics...

There should be almost no difference between 85 and 89 in BG, right? And also no reason to choose one over the other?

edit- oh, and while we're at it... has anyone tested gurthalak on the PTR to see if it got nerfed? Going around lately.

The higher level you are, the higher passive main stat you have. I don't know what the difference is, but i'm sure it's minor. Also 89's get access to some engi goggles that 85s can't get.
It's really minor differences, and in bg's it's hardly not noticeable.

So you don't get that passive main stat too when you're leveled up to 89 in BG? The goggles I didn't think about tho.

but would it be better to play 89 or 80? just curious about what the 80-89 community's opinion is on 85

89's obviously have higher main stats, but 80s have the most offstats. It also depends on what class you wish to play.

Its all honestly personal preference. Different levels have different stat-sheets, and that's about the only thing you truly need to consider. I play 85 for no reason other than it was the level cap during cataclysm, and I think its just really cool to replicate those memories/experiences.

You should be successful no matter which level you play at. I've even seen a few 87s out there.

@Tzvetan US, correct? I may be able to help you out with herald on Alliance.

Bummer, my 80 is Horde :/ Thanks for the offer, though.

I have a herald set on my Horde DK from 7.3.5, may or may not be outdated, but should work, nonetheless. If you ever find a group I'd gladly help out. I know the mechanics & can tank the fight

just want to say thanks everyone for your inputs, really put it all into perspective for me!

I play 85 for no reason other than it was the level cap during cataclysm, and I think its just really cool to replicate those memories/experiences.
i would probably go 85 for this reason too, i wanna get the gear sets from cata to use in pvp and raiding

89's obviously have higher main stats, but 80s have the most offstats. It also depends on what class you wish to play. Does your class benefit alot from mastery? If it is the case, then you should consider going 85/89, as 80s don't really have access to great gear with mastery whereas 85s can use DS gear, which provides a ton of mastery.

this was very helpful thanks!

talking about mastery, there are some items available only at lvl87 .. eg. Fizzlebang's Folly lvl87 version 14 int and proc 222 mastery for 10 sec (0.92 proc/min)

for a hunter, a DS heroic lvl85 ilvl112 Wyrmstalker's Legguards gives 20 agil/ 39 stam/ 15 crit/ 10 mast + 3 sockets which imo is inferior to a lvl86 ilvl116 Arrowsinger Legguards which gives 21 agil/ 40 stam/ 10 has/ 22 mast + 2 sockets, if you consider gemming all sockets with mastery gems

these are just some examples

It's wasn't nurfed on ptr when I tried gurt there a few days ago.

been playing 99 and 70 a lot and really enjoy them, i wanna make something in the 80 range now, i saw a group of level 85s, they were saying its a lot of fun, but would it be better to play 89 or 80? just curious about what the 80-89 community's opinion is on 85

Sorry. I'm returning after a long while. And I suppose I'm not entirely sure why non x9 twinking is a thing. I assume it's because of gear scaling. But, I'm not certain. Could anyone please explain? how does it work? Is it at all similar to level 10 twinking, back in the day?

It's really personal preference. I've always played 85 until this week where i've made 4x 80s that I intent to use for Heralds boosting.

What faction and what region are you doing this on? I’d like to be part of the team if US Alli and open spots. Assuming the boost gold is shared ;)

Users who are viewing this thread