God

I've realized that arguing from a evidence based standpoint with someone who professes mere faith is like trying to swat a plane out of thin air with a fly swatter. By stating that they have faith in their position they are openly admitting willful ignorance to all evidence contradicting their beliefs and shutting out all the instances in their lives where their faith will be tested. Almost like closing their eyes or plugging their ears and keep going forward cutting off everything in their peripheral vision that may distract them. To a lot of theists saying that they have faith in their position would feel as though they are conceding something to atheists. Admitting that there are discrepancies in how the world works vs how the Bible tells them it works, it almost always gives the atheist an upper hand in any debate. So a lot of theists throw themselves into the corner of their favorite apologist and make fantastic use of their well evolved confirmation bias to keep them strong in their faith. This is a battle that can only be won with time, and not in this moment. With new generations of children growing up in an ever expanding age of information, it becomes easier for them to question their own beliefs by themselves. Then they can come to their own conclusions and will be raised without the dogma attached to believing in magical sky daddies. In time, theistic numbers will dwindle and eventually be confined to underground clubs or corners of this world currently inhabited by conspiracy theorists.

Another reason of mine for cutting back my engagement with theists is because of the blatant dishonest tactics use to discredit the others position. An atheist will rarely ever mention something or state a fact unless they have a rudimentary understanding of what they are trying to convey. The theists will more often than not argue from complete and utter ignorance and sometimes even resort to conspiracy theory to disprove you. I have a very low tolerance for bullshit and this was the main reason I was so furious toward myself for believing in religious bullshit for as long as I have. I did not have a traumatic experience that happened to me which turned me to atheism. I did not have someone "shake my faith." I questioned myself, looked for the truth, studied the facts the best I could and came to my own conclusions. The best part of the process is that it's never ending, and everything I once denied that kept me strong in my faith I can now openly research and learn about. All without feeling like the wrath of God was about to be unleashed upon my sorry ass.

This is something religious people ever do, and when they do they will turn to religiously based sources to strengthen their current held beliefs. It drives me to the point of wanting to punch a hole in the wall when someone can be thankful for the existence of all of scientific advances, many people toiled over, died for and have been persecuted for over many centuries of investigation, people who were testing sheer hard work only to have that same hard work labeled a conspiracy when it crosses the line of being beneficial to them and pointing out the inconsistencies in their belief system. When I see someone in need and the common response from theists is I will pray for you

I want to shake that person by the neck. Why when faced with adversity is the first response from an atheist is what can I do that can make a tangible difference to that person's suffering of problem? When the theists decides to take two minutes to send an invisible telegram with NO address to an invisible puppet master, do they honestly think they've done something beneficial when they shot off a few words into thin air?

Every apologetic I've came into contact with are rooted in faith and wishful thinking. When someone think like this I don't want to engage them. They already know the answer and are deliberately painting over it with faith, because it makes them a soldier for their god, because the suffering for the position they hold in the face of facts contradicting their position makes them a martyr in the eyes of their god. Because they simply can't wrap their head around the fact that this life may be the only life they'll ever have. Does this make them a bad person? Probably not. Are they allowed to preach to me, tell me what I believe and deny scientific fact because it suits their position? HELL NO. That is where my tolerance for their position ends.

Indoctrination is a powerful thing. I was raised very religious and I started questioning and transitioning away from faith when I was 22 (27 now). I wish people could step back and look at it for what it is and see how ridiculous it is to believe in such an obvious myth. It was very difficult for me to accept though and some people just never open their mind to it.

I believe in God but I don't go to Church or do any religious stuff. You get one life, eat good food and have good sex. - Waves 2k16

I will read this when i'm less tired but judging by the first few sentences I agree =X

in-this-moment-i-am-euphoric-not-because-of-any-phony-gods-blessing-but-because-i-am-enlightened-by-my-intelligence.jpg

Why does it bother people so much if they believe in God or not? If an individual decides to put their hope into something that gives them comfort, why punish them? Yeah there are people who are out there who believe they live and die and that's it. More power to them. And I get that people voice their opinions about religion, but not all are like that. Not everybody crams their beliefs down your throat. There are some people who become passionate about believing in nothing and become very vocal about it. I guess that's why opinions are opinions and people should do or believe what makes them happy.

Never got the impression that Druiddroid was an angry person.
Maybe he should assume the lotus position and try a nice mantra. Aum... Aum....
Might not want punch a hole in a wall or shake someone by the neck.
Listen up half-wit.

Your quite deluded in the aspects of a minor claiming to be an exceptional person.

You're listing 'so called facts' as if you were a prodigy.

Now, i'm going to break these little pillars of your 'tiny' God one by one.

So, you took the lotus position and scored 'higher' than average in temperament. How come you forgot to mention what ivy league college begged you to come, or the international scholarships? This isn't an achievement merely a useless 'fact' that you was the greatest accomplishment in your life.

A nice mantra you say? Oh no, did you forget to mention that you were a member of Mensa? Most likely your mantra was taken from a free survey online, or a fun little quiz that they give in schools to make lousy kids feel great about themselves. I wasted my time reading your post, should have provided 'real' backup to make it more believable.

You understand life better than an atheist, have you even given it an ounce of thought that your mom's bf may not be a good teacher but an excellent student? Difference between your pompous self and his is, he's a college graduate, you're not.

Understanding life better, what topics? Let me guess, you probably read the difference between Jesus and Mohammed and clapped yourself on the back. "good job me". And regenerative philosophy? I designed the framework and axis of existentialism in second grade. A baby could do that.

Wait a minute, did you watch breaking bad and said "gosh jolly i'm gunna read about heisenbergs uncertainty principle and become exactly like my dear ol' pal walter white! har har har!"

I, I , I and your going to write a book. What is it, one fish two fish, a dictionary for babies? Positive reviews? Lemme guess was it from your friends and family? Strangers on the internet? You're in a support group, obviously they're going to give positive reviews. 1 or 2 of em is enough to reinforce your statements.

Saving Jesus? Being raised in a safe and friendly environment, where the highest threat level you received was when the neighbors new puppy barked at you, doesn't give you an opinion on letting go a ducking c'nt of a murderer. Were you raised during that time or have any experience? Got your arm engraved with the sign? No, so shut up you wanna be Buddha.

Being a pacifist doesn't mean getting a broken nose. It means your a weak little runt. A bully dosnt do that stuff out of the blue, only when you act smart like you did know, serves you right too. You should have manned up and beat that guy to a pulp. Like this famous quote,

"If i let dis nig'a go den its gunna be a slippery slope, all of em r gunna want some"

Cite all the examples you want, because none of them make sense, you have no real accomplishment in life, stuff that you said is what you say to your parents for motivation and love. You're not about to get that from me, when you closed your post with calling me being 'angry'

So buckle up and get ready for life kid, what you said amounts to nothing, its shit.

Oh and I'm 16 fyi. Also skipped a grade.

Listen up half-wit.

Your quite deluded in the aspects of a minor claiming to be an exceptional person.

You're listing 'so called facts' as if you were a prodigy.

Now, i'm going to break these little pillars of your 'tiny' God one by one.

So, you took the lotus position and scored 'higher' than average in temperament. How come you forgot to mention what ivy league college begged you to come, or the international scholarships? This isn't an achievement merely a useless 'fact' that you was the greatest accomplishment in your life.

A nice mantra you say? Oh no, did you forget to mention that you were a member of Mensa? Most likely your mantra was taken from a free survey online, or a fun little quiz that they give in schools to make lousy kids feel great about themselves. I wasted my time reading your post, should have provided 'real' backup to make it more believable.

You understand life better than an atheist, have you even given it an ounce of thought that your mom's bf may not be a good teacher but an excellent student? Difference between your pompous self and his is, he's a college graduate, you're not.

Understanding life better, what topics? Let me guess, you probably read the difference between Jesus and Mohammed and clapped yourself on the back. "good job me". And regenerative philosophy? I designed the framework and axis of existentialism in second grade. A baby could do that.

Wait a minute, did you watch breaking bad and said "gosh jolly i'm gunna read about heisenbergs uncertainty principle and become exactly like my dear ol' pal walter white! har har har!"

I, I , I and your going to write a book. What is it, one fish two fish, a dictionary for babies? Positive reviews? Lemme guess was it from your friends and family? Strangers on the internet? You're in a support group, obviously they're going to give positive reviews. 1 or 2 of em is enough to reinforce your statements.

Saving Jesus? Being raised in a safe and friendly environment, where the highest threat level you received was when the neighbors new puppy barked at you, doesn't give you an opinion on letting go a ducking c'nt of a murderer. Were you raised during that time or have any experience? Got your arm engraved with the sign? No, so shut up you wanna be Buddha.

Being a pacifist doesn't mean getting a broken nose. It means your a weak little runt. A bully dosnt do that stuff out of the blue, only when you act smart like you did know, serves you right too. You should have manned up and beat that guy to a pulp. Like this famous quote,

"If i let dis nig'a go den its gunna be a slippery slope, all of em r gunna want some"

Cite all the examples you want, because none of them make sense, you have no real accomplishment in life, stuff that you said is what you say to your parents for motivation and love. You're not about to get that from me, when you closed your post with calling me being 'angry'

So buckle up and get ready for life kid, what you said amounts to nothing, its shit.

Oh and I'm 16 fyi. Also skipped a grade.

lol

I keep thinking there's some inside joke that I miss with these threads.

Reactions: Fry
what the hell is this lmao
From what I can gather, it seems to be trolls trolling trolls...with the occasional smart person making a witty comment.

This creationist woman will make you want to punch a hole in the wall

You have been warned :D

But where's the evidence? Ex Dee. This is why I'm happy to live in one of the least religious countries in the world. I personally have nothing against people who has one faith or another, but as soon as you outright deny scientific facts, common sense, and what goes towards building a future based on knowledge, I just cringe. The way Christian faith came around to me, was in the form of morals, ethics etc., which I highly value, and believe to be a good thing when it comes to coexisting in a society.

In my country, we still do a lot of things that has roots in religion, but is more so a tradition than it is a religious act. Christmas is one example of that. There are more, but Christmas is probably the most common one.

In elementary school, we even had a subject that could be directly translated into "Christianity". We studied the belief, but not to preach, or become religious in any matter. It was more a "historical" lesson that could be used to explain social structure, culture etc.
Later, in college, the subject would expand and be called "Religion", which didn't just have Christianity, but also Islam, Buddhism, Judaism etc. This also gave us an insight in how basically every one of the major religions are related in many ways, and further expanded our cultural knowledge.

I've met a few religious people IRL, most of them immigrants. But because most of them are well integrated, they don't necessarily deny science or facts. Or at least, they don't show it in school (maybe because they want good grades). Those very, very few I have come across that started talking about religion, mostly their own, turned out to have no, if not very little, or skewed knowledge/perception of their own religion. And once you firmly believe something, but you aren't even sure what you actually believe, I become somewhat worrisome. Add this and negative social aspects, and you could get radicalized extremists.
With that said, kudos to those who have faith, keeps it to themselves, or modernize it to fit society. I have also met people that believe in a greater force, not necessarily a god so to speak, but because of how incredible it is that the advanced life we know today actually exist, with all the factors that has to come into play etc. It just seemed too "random" for them. They do not deny science, and are happy to embrace logical explanation and theories, more so facts. To them, there's just a gap until the question about life, the universe and everything has been answered. (I know, it's 42, I mean jeez).

But surely, the younger generation in America is going towards the same progress?

Users who are viewing this thread