General stat priorities mainly PvE?

I know it might be more obvious to some than others, but sometimes it's a struggle trying to decide what the best way to gear/gem all the classes with PvP and PvE having different scaling. I think the quicker way is TBC socket gears and so that's what I'm asking about. Most pieces all have either Crit, Crit/Haste, Crit/Verse and Verse. Can anyone give a quick run down of what is the best way to round out the different specs with the gear STATS(don't need a best in slot list), and gems afterwords? I think it would be helpful for those that play more on the PvE spectrum.

I dont think it really matters tbh… but just to give a few examples: i was able to solo several vanilla and tbc dungeons on resto sham and bm hunter in unenchanted mop i28 greens, and i was able to solo almost all vanilla and tbc dungeons with the same i28 gear with crusader i24 artifact on prot pala. Guard druid is the same i think but i have very limited experience with it.
Problem with tbc gear is that both tank specs i mentioned and resto sham really likes mastery, and tbc gear has none of that.
In Chop’s stickied guide collection, there’s a dungeon solo guide by @Dragynslayer that has all kind of useful info on this aspect of pve, i’d def hit that up if i were you.

I dont think it really matters tbh… but just to give a few examples: i was able to solo several vanilla and tbc dungeons on resto sham and bm hunter in unenchanted mop i28 greens, and i was able to solo almost all vanilla and tbc dungeons with the same i28 gear with crusader i24 artifact on prot pala. Guard druid is the same i think but i have very limited experience with it.
Problem with tbc gear is that both tank specs i mentioned and resto sham really likes mastery, and tbc gear has none of that.
In Chop’s stickied guide collection, there’s a dungeon solo guide by @Dragynslayer that has all kind of useful info on this aspect of pve, i’d def hit that up if i were you.
I've definitely seen his guide as well as the DB Twink and Quick Gearing for 20s.

Which spec?
Well, i have multiple toons in the making so i can have a vet account.

Mage Arcane/Frost
Warlock Aff/Dest
Druid Bear/Cat and possibly a 2nd set for Chicken/Resto
DK Frost
Warrior Furry
Priest Shadow/Holy
Shaman Ele/Resto
Hunter BM/MM
Pally Prot
Monk MW

Now i know some of these are easy, but were i feel some clarity could come in is with what stats are on the available socket drops, when is it safe to go with any Sta over just 2/2 main and secondary. For example, is Bear better off with Agi/Crit gems or is there enough Crit on the gear where Vers or Stam 2/2s are better. I know it's alot, but i just want to find the ideal ways to build. On my Mage, i farmed the Crit gear with Int/Crit gems and than the Vers heavy gears with Vers/Int gems. The Vers set feels better on Arcane.

I can only talk about the classes I play and while I have some idea of what others should build I'd rather not mislead you.

Frost mage I'd go crit haste with big int gems. As arcane I never had any mana issues in dungeons even on bosses so I'd go int gems with a mix of crit haste vers.

BM hunt I run tbc gear with 3 agi gems. Focusing on haste, vers and crit. Versatility is a better dps increase than mastery so I prefer that.

MM hunt gets the most dmg from mastery and crit is pretty good as all of your attacks are big hits that benefit well from crit. Lots of times when I attack a 3 mob pack for example I one shot one of the mobs instantly which makes clearing pretty smooth. I find BM to be better for bosses though.

From what I've seen, main stat is king when it comes to dps.

I've definitely seen his guide as well as the DB Twink and Quick Gearing for 20s.

awesome, i just understood though that you are asking about pve in general, not just soloing, my bad.
for general pve i can only comment on classes i play. For prot pal, i’d still go with str/stam gems, but since the gameplay can feel “slow” sometimes, i think you can get away with a couple of str/haste gems as well.
As for healers (i play resto sham and mw), i use the rough rule of going for enough haste so that my main casted spell (healing surge/vivify) is 1.2-1.3 sec cast time, and i just stack other secondaries from there. Both classes burst healing is enhanced by mastery, but from my experience, tanks like to be topped off most of the time, so in pve settings (and in most pvp settings as well) i like vers over haste (edit: vers over crit), and i wouldn’t really stress about mastery.
And I agree with @Ivo main stat gems would be my bet when it comes to dpsing.

Last edited:
BM hunt I run tbc gear with 3 agi gems. Focusing on haste, vers and crit. Versatility is a better dps increase than mastery so I prefer that.

are there relevant haste-hreakpoints ?
If yes is my math correct with
34,49,66 and 84 for weaponspeed (3/(1+(haste*0,27)100)) rounded to the first decimal place
31,53 and 79 for pet autattack (2/(1+(haste*0,27/100)) rounded to the first decimal place

If anyone of
If anyone of you wants to help me, i will be grateful for any help.

Enzi

What are the numbers you posted related to?

34,49,66 and 84 for weaponspeed (3/(1+(haste*0,27)100)) rounded to the first decimal place
31,53 and 79 for pet autattack (2/(1+(haste*0,27/100)) rounded to the first decimal place

If anyone of

Enzi

If anyone of

Enzi
haste breakpoints dont exist anymore, any leftover from what would have gathered an extra tick instead leave a partial tick at the end.

If anyone of

Enzi
I aim for between 10% & 12% Haste on BM more so u can keep the Barbed Shot Buff refreshed on ur target. U can get it to 3 and keep it there longer with more Haste.
Granted most things die before u even get to 3 stacks, but for them pesky healers, I would buff em up and watch my pet rip faces off.
Agility is also king for BM. +3 gems is the way to go.

What are the numbers you posted related to?

34 haste = 2,7 weaponspeed
49 haste = 2,6 weaponspeed
66 haste = 2,5 weaponspeed
84 haste = 2,4 weaponspeed
31 haste = 1,8 Main Pet - Auto Attack
53 haste = 1,7 Main Pet - Auto Attack
79 haste = 1,6 Main Pet - Auto Attack

I may be wrong with this and my gear is not optimal for the BM-PvE challenge, but i hope if anyone of you wants to help me, i will be grateful for any help.

Enzi

I may be wrong with this and my gear is not optimal for the BM-PvE challenge, but i hope if anyone of you wants to help me, i will be grateful for any help.

Enzi
Its not a breakpoint, casting speed is the same, it just shows the first decimal and the rest are hidden, but theyre still there. Youre not going from 2.6 to 2.5 youre going from 2.57 to 2.54

Enzi
As goesid pointed out, you gain speed with every point but it's hidden. You can test this by using an addon like deja or quartz. Haste breakpoints are only relevant for a few specs(like hunter's vnethyr spell at 60 and fire mage's combustion) and none of them matter at 20 from what I've seen so far. Some people might say more haste means you can have more barbed shot stacks up while bursting but it's not optimal to chase that.

Just keep stacking it until it feels good. Mine is around 27% on BM and around 23% on survival out of BG if I remember correctly.

As goesid pointed out, you gain speed with every point but it's hidden. You can test this by using an addon like deja or quartz. Haste breakpoints are only relevant for a few specs(like hunter's vnethyr spell at 60 and fire mage's combustion) and none of them matter at 20 from what I've seen so far. Some people might say more haste means you can have more barbed shot stacks up while bursting but it's not optimal to chase that.

Just keep stacking it until it feels good. Mine is around 27% on BM and around 23% on survival out of BG if I remember correctly.
Also 20% and 40% haste is breakpoint for arms war to get 1 more gcd during colossus smash. But its not worth it

Reactions: Ivo

Users who are viewing this thread