[Free-2-Play] Rogue Twink

Unfortunately, the 5/7 ilvl 32 ring version you’re seeing on other characters has been grandfathered since patch 7.3.5. Only those who have ilvl 32 versions were fortunate enough to get it before patch 7.3.5.

Why? It’s because of the scaling system introduced in patch 7.3.5, which changed all quest awards (and dungeon and world drops, but not chest drops) to award gear based on your character’s level. While that has enabled levelers to complete zones without mitigating their leveling or level-gearing progress, it’s rendered many gears of a high ilvl for a given accessible-level to be grandfathered.

Examples one may encounter of such higher ilvl gears from quests and drops that are grandfathered now due to quest/drop award scalings include:

-Argus rings (formerly ilvl 32)
-Emil’s brand (ilvl 32 str 2h sword)
-Faerie’s Mantle (ilvl 32 cloth shoulders)
-ilvl 30 versions of Stockade dungeon quest awards
-ilvl 25 dungeon drops and dungeon sachet drops.
-AGM (quest to get it is no longer accessible until ~level 35 or higher).

That said, there are some potential things to keep an eye on from these scalings:
-ilvl 26 blue drops from battleground crates
-(very, very rare) ilvl 28 blue non-weapon BoE world drops (note: BoEs from chests don’t scale, so chest farming unfortunately won’t help). [Don’t know if this is still the case in pre-BFA patch, though it was in patch 7.3.5.]

Last edited:
32ilvl is gfed. New ring is borderline useless
[doublepost=1532874058,1532873904][/doublepost]
-(very, very rare) ilvl 28 blue non-weapon BoE world drops (note: BoEs from chests don’t scale, so chest farming unfortunately won’t help). [Don’t know if this is still the case in pre-BFA patch, though it was in patch 7.3.5.]

Still the case, yet ilvl 28s arent as rare as you might think I got 2 or 3 pieces I just bought off the auction house lol

Yes, unfortunately the quests that rewarded higher item level equipment were nerfed by the Scaling feature of patch 7.3.5. There was a time, between 7.3.5's initial release, and the most recent BfA pre-patch where every item (whether dropped by a mob, or rewarded from a quest) would scale depending on your level. (This meant no more item level 30 rewards from the Stockade quests, or no item level 32 quest rewards from Ashenvale.)

Every single item in low level range that has been scaled with that feature (from 7.3.5) has been effected by the item level squish that came with BfA pre-patch. So what was UP-scaled to item level 26, has now been DOWN-scaled to item level 23, and the given items' stats were reduced (The difference you are seeing between some people's item level 32 Argus rings, and the newly obtainable item level 20 Argus rings.)

The thing to note now is: item level directly dictates the value of stats on gear. And since all suffixes have been removed, majority of the items have a pretty healthy combination of primary and secondary stats. In short: Your best bet is to search for item level 25 greens. With the most recent patch, not all green BoE drops scale, I would say the percentage of scaled items you get from mobs is roughly 30% - 40% to non-scaled 60% - 70%. And Treasure Chests have 100% chance to drop non-scaled items.

So I direct you to a small guide I put together for hunting Treasure Chests for 10-19s and 20-29s:
https://xpoff.com/threads/fatal-treasure-chest-hunting-guide.78533/
I hope it helps you gear your charaters.

Good luck!

That happens when you try to reroll fotm.

Nah, its my first lvl 20 twink, have a couple of lvl 60s twinks and 70s. I made the rogue just to play something until classic comes out since I dont want to spend 13 Euros/ month.
[doublepost=1532883491,1532883394][/doublepost]
Yes, unfortunately the quests that rewarded higher item level equipment were nerfed by the Scaling feature of patch 7.3.5. There was a time, between 7.3.5's initial release, and the most recent BfA pre-patch where every item (whether dropped by a mob, or rewarded from a quest) would scale depending on your level. (This meant no more item level 30 rewards from the Stockade quests, or no item level 32 quest rewards from Ashenvale.)

Every single item in low level range that has been scaled with that feature (from 7.3.5) has been effected by the item level squish that came with BfA pre-patch. So what was UP-scaled to item level 26, has now been DOWN-scaled to item level 23, and the given items' stats were reduced (The difference you are seeing between some people's item level 32 Argus rings, and the newly obtainable item level 20 Argus rings.)

The thing to note now is: item level directly dictates the value of stats on gear. And since all suffixes have been removed, majority of the items have a pretty healthy combination of primary and secondary stats. In short: Your best bet is to search for item level 25 greens. With the most recent patch, not all green BoE drops scale, I would say the percentage of scaled items you get from mobs is roughly 30% - 40% to non-scaled 60% - 70%. And Treasure Chests have 100% chance to drop non-scaled items.

So I direct you to a small guide I put together for hunting Treasure Chests for 10-19s and 20-29s:
https://xpoff.com/threads/fatal-treasure-chest-hunting-guide.78533/
I hope it helps you gear your charaters.

Good luck!

Thanks for the guide, that will be so tedious since zones are not level specific anymore. The chances to find chests will be significant lower

That happens when you try to reroll fotm.
In my humble opinion, that's a presumptuous (or loaded) statement to make, as it presumed the OP already had a twink in a lower level bracket. But if that was the case, then the OP would already be familiar enough with these scaling mechanics, and thus wouldn't have asked this question.

Thanks for the guide, that will be so tedious since zones are not level specific anymore. The chances to find chests will be significant lower
Fortunately the chances of finding chests won't be any lower than it was finding chests before recently, as their spawn rate and possible spawn locations seem to remain unchanged, and the "player demand" for such chests are no worse than it was since older times.

In my humble opinion, that's a presumptuous (or loaded) statement to make, as it presumed the OP already had a twink in a lower level bracket. But if that was the case, then the OP would already be familiar enough with these scaling mechanics, and thus wouldn't have asked this question.

[Edit]Late post is late.

Hows lvl 10-19 bracket? Is the bracket still separated from the rest of the players? Im thinking making one and dont know if it is worth doing it. Is it more fun?

Hows lvl 10-19 bracket? Is the bracket still separated from the rest of the players? Im thinking making one and dont know if it is worth doing it. Is it more fun?
XP-on and XP-off brackets were merged around at the start of the Legion expansion.
Also, it's not possible to play as a xp-locked 19 with a lapsed subscription, as f2ps/vets (those who let subs lapse) are not able to queue for battlegrounds if they locked their XP, nor can they remove xp-lock from the xp-locking NPCs when sub is down. If one wants to disable xp-lock from those NPCs while subscription is down, he/she will need GM assistance. As a f2p/vet, 10-19s is only playable as a leveler, or while leveling to 20.

Users who are viewing this thread