Fire PvE maximizing

d07.RiV

Legend
I've been trying to maximize my 80 fire mage, I'm down to one last item now I think. What do you think are the best professions atm?

I dropped alchemy for tailoring, because alchemy is just a plain 80 stat boost now (since trinket is no longer BiS). Tailoring is so godly atm with cloak 2k int proc + lvl 90 leg enchant, nothing comes close.

For second prof I kept engineering, though I'm not sure if the tinker is as awesome considering it shares a short cd with trinket. I'm not even sure if 1920 int is better than 2559 spell power. Of course it's good if used sequentially, but since so much of our damage comes from burst + combustion, it devalues sort of. I was wondering if other professions could do better, though. Inscription would look nice due to huge shoulder enchants, but they require level 85. Blacksmithing is nil effectively. So it's down to engineering (burst) and leatherworking (330 int).

I'm pretty amazed at how everything sums up. I've been getting 200k+ dps on ICC bosses, still trying to fish for perfect windsong procs.

Also, working on soloing ulduar, got XT down, on my way to ignis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it's good if used sequentially, but since so much of our damage comes from burst + combustion, it devalues sort of.

Because so much of your damage comes from burst + combustion, wouldn't it make it more valuable to have a big boost to a stat for a short time rather than a small passive bonus all the time?

Edit: Btw, if tailoring is anything like LW then you can drop it and still keep the leg enchants active. Obviously that's a bit extreme, but it's an option if you wanted to trade off the cloak enchant for a different profession's bonus. Also, I'd guess Engineering would be very valuable to a mage interested in soloing since you'll rely on burst (limited mirrors time, killing adds or pushing phases quickly, etc) and the nitro boosts would give you even more mobility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because so much of your damage comes from burst + combustion, wouldn't it make it more valuable to have a big boost to a stat for a short time rather than a small passive bonus all the time?
Synapse springs share a 15 (or 10?) second cooldown with on-use trinkets. I believe 2559 spell power from the talisman is more valuable than 1920 int, especially since I barely use the extra crit from int.

Yeah it is probably possible to drop tailoring and keep the leg enchant, but that is a terrible idea considering how amazing the cloak enchant is.

Btw a simple question - is there something I'm missing about windsong? I did about 10 pulls of ignis and it didn't proc once, and I was relying on it for a big combustion =(

Good to know about engineering, looks like I'm not dropping LW'ing after all.

Does combustion update your SP during it's duration? If it doesn't engineering probably isn't so useful. There is a shared (20sec) I think cd between on-use trinkets and the enchant, so you can't stack them/
Why would it? Combustion is not directly affected by your SP in any way, it only cares about how big your ignite stack was when you used it.
Other than that, I'm fairly sure dots still take a snapshot of your stats once, so haste/crit procs are great for when you pop it.

Users who are viewing this thread