Farming The Essence Focuser from Chests

Taking inspiration from @Wildream 's post in another thread, I've been farming Silverbound Treasure Chests in Outland, and wanted to share my findings. The first time I got an Essence Focuser, it took 50-someodd chests, so I got excited that this may make for an easy farm. Another 310-someodd chests later, I finally got a second Essence Focuser.

Looking at WoWhead's sources for the weapon, note that there are two (out of several) Silverbound Treasure Chests within which the weapon may reside. Even though they share the same name, it seems they have different loot tables as pointed out by a WoWhead commenter. I had nearly given up hope on a second Focuser, so I decided to confine my search to Netherstorm, where I found the first one. Literally two days later, I scored the second one from the exact same chest as the first one, at 56.1 19.9, the northeasternmost chest.

Zangarmarsh has by far the highest prevalence of chests. On a good run, I'll score 4 and have gotten as high as 6. I've only gotten 2 or 3 from any other zone, with a maximum of 2 from Netherstorm.

I compiled the loots below if they're useful for someone's further research. See how some loots appear much more often than others? Some of that is a function of drop rate, but the especially low ones with only 1 or 2 entries tended (but not always) to appear in Netherstorm, further lending credence to the idea that there are different Silverbound Treasure Chest loot tables.

It's entirely possible I just got lucky/unlucky with drop rates and locations and that looting from the same chest location was purely a coincidence. But at least this provides a start for more research if someone feels so inspired. While 360+ treasure chests is a lot, the vast majority of those came from Zangarmarsh, and I'd estimate I looted maybe 50 chests in Netherstorm to get both Essence Focusers.

Full disclosure, about 40% of these loots came from my 39, which I used to fly my 20 around to get the chests (it took my addled brain awhile to realize I could loot the same chest). I don't think that influences the data much, other than being able to get inside the chests that require level 25+.
5x Abyss Walker's Boots
12x Amulet of Unstable Power
6x Amulet of Sanctification
7x Axe of the Legion
2x Band of Dominion
3x Band of Sorrow
7x Blade Dancer's Wristguards
8x Blade of Unquenched Thirst
3x Blade of Trapped Knowledge
4x Bludstone Hammer
6x Boots of the Pathfinder
7x Boots of Savagery
2x Boots of Zealotry
1x Bracers of Unmitigated Larceny
10x Braxxis' Staff of Slumber
6x Breastplate of Blade Turning
9x Chestguard of Illumination
1x Chestguard of the Talon
1x Captain Carver's Persuader
2x Ced's Carver
7x Cloak of Entropy
3x Cloak of the Craft
1x Corehound Fang Shoulderpads
2x Crown of Endless Knowledge
1x Crystalblade of the Draenei
2x Crystal Pulse Shield
1x Crystalforged War Axe
1x Direwing Legguards
7x Demon Hide Spaulders
1x Doombringer
1x Drakesfire Epaulets
3x Dreamwalker Armor
2x Eaglehorn Long Bow
1x Earthborn Kilt
1x Elekk Hide Leggings
3x Feathermoon Headdress
15x Fist of Reckoning
3x Garrett Family Crest
6x Gauntlets of Purification
4x Gauntlets of the Skullsplitter
7x Girdle of Divine Blessing
2x Girdle of Gale Force
11x Girdle of Siege
1x Girdle of the Howling Berzerker
11x Gloves of Pandemonium
7x Gloves of Piety
3x Headdress of Inner Rage
10x Headdress of the Sleeper
2x Lady Alizabeth's Pendant
1x Leggings of the Shattered Hand
9x Leggings of the Sly
1x Lola's Lifegiving Branch
1x Lord Alexander's Battle Axe
3x Magiskull Cuffs
3x Maiden's Circle
3x Mask of Veiled Death
1x Mass of McGowan
1x Medallian of Grand Marshall Morris
1x Milan's Mastercraft Band
1x Necklace of Trophies
1x Orb of Deception
2x Pathfinder's Band
13x Pendant of Cunning
1x Sandals of Broken Dreams
1x Sapphiron's Scale Boots
2x Scales of the Beast
6x Scarlet Kris
3x Serathil
10x Shield of the Wayward footman
10x Shroud of Frenzy
2x Shroud of Spiritual Purity
2x Spaulders of the Unseen
1x Staff of Divine Infusion
2x Staff of Hale Magefire
2x Stonegrip Gauntlets
12x Storm Lord's Girdle
1x Sword of Zeal
11x The Dreamer's Shoulderpads
2x The Essence Focuser
8x The Gunblade
1x The Master's Treads
1x The Needler
1x The Oathkeeper
1x Torch of Austen
4x Valanos' Longbow
2x Worgen's Ring of Revitalization
2x Windrunner Legguards
2x Wolfrunner Shoes
10x "requires level 25"

Here's the write-up I did for our guild
A couple of people have asked me how I farmed https://www.wowhead.com/item=31304/the-essence-focuser so I thought I would write it down here. TLDR; Chest farm in Blade’s Edge. To mark chests on your map, you need to download GatherMate2 and GatherMate2 Data. Launch the game, go into the GatherMate2 addon settings and import the BC data from GatherMate2 Data. You can select chests only. It’s about 95% correct from what I’ve seen, a few nodes are missing but it’s not much. How long? Chest is 100% chance at blue. There’s about 46 different BC blues so the odds are ok. Expect about 1-3 chests per clear. You can do this with warmode on and off, the phases are different. It took me about 3 weeks, around ~60 chests. I think chest respawn is around 6 hrs. Why Blade’s Edge? There are actually 2 different Silverbound Treasure Chest. They have the same name but different loot tables and item IDs. The one we want is https://www.wowhead.com/object=207480/silverbound-treasure-chest and it spawns in 3 zones (2 of which we can’t loot) Blade’s Edge is the only option. https://www.wowhead.com/object=207472/silverbound-treasure-chest is the lesser one, it says the mace can drop here but I’m not sure. I really think it has to be these higher zones and this is in line with it dropping from the higher-level dungeons. Loot: You have to loot this on a 20 for it to scale to req 20, ilvl 27. Double Loot? If you don’t have autoloot on you can loot it again on a different character and get a different blue. I think once a chest is opened there’s a 2-3 min timer before it despawns but theoretically you can check across your 20s, if you have them all lined up. This zone isn’t great without a flyer, it would not be a fun experience. I don’t have a flyer: I don’t know if you can access all chest locations to be honest. I would stick to the middle, brownish/red zone then and just work north and south. That’s where most of the spawns are anyways.
Can you confirm you got a mace from a non Blade's Edge/Netherstorm/SMV zone?
Interesting you are reporting the exact same chest location, we had a guildie say the same. I just farmed the one, about 50 chests but I had bad RNG from what others are reporting.

Can you confirm you got a mace from a non Blade's Edge/Netherstorm/SMV zone?
Interesting you are reporting the exact same chest location, we had a guildie say the same.

I can only confirm the two Focusers from that one Netherstorm chest location. I haven't seen the weapon drop from other chests.

I can only confirm the two Focusers from that one Netherstorm chest location. I haven't seen the weapon drop from other chests.
Interesting yea, I really think it has to be the 3 higher zones. Although someone looted one in the Terokkar Forest dungeons but that's sort of "higher" instanced content, idk

I did a bit of chest farming several months ago. Never saw Essence Focuser in Zangar/HFP & Terokkar. My focus was primarily on obtaining a Feathermoon Headdress req 20.

Edit: I only bothered to record the Classic items I looted.
[doublepost=1644309465,1644309113][/doublepost]
Interesting yea, I really think it has to be the 3 higher zones. Although someone looted one in the Terokkar Forest dungeons but that's sort of "higher" instanced content, idk

I looted an Essence Focuser on my level 17 looters in Mana Tombs during my 470~ runs.

Agree, I've farmed these chests for days (legit flying thru them with 2 seater rocket mount and "Gathermate" + "wowhead data import" addon) along with Orb of Mistmantle vanilla chests, and the wowhead split loot tables seem to be correct, actually most of the lowbie chests period have split loot pools based on zone level.
Zangarmarsh and lower zones def seem to only give you items from the lower pool from what I've seen. In nether/blades edge/smv I got a ced's carver and other items that lined up with the higher lvl loot pool.

Last edited:
I had more then 5 drop for me and then another 5 or so on my high-lvl alt running me through Shadowlabs. Third boss* only was dropping them. I saved them thinking they were boe until i noticed they were all soulbound, oof. I did probably 20-25 runs total farming cloth items (shoulders/chest) for my Warlock. This was 2 days ago so if you're looking for another alternative source, good luck!

*Was odd how frequently they were dropping...

I had more then 5 drop for me and then another 5 or so on my high-lvl alt running me through Shadowlabs. Third boss* only was dropping them. I saved them thinking they were boe until i noticed they were all soulbound, oof. I did probably 20-25 runs total farming cloth items (shoulders/chest) for my Warlock. This was 2 days ago so if you're looking for another alternative source, good luck!

Pretty sure what you were getting was https://www.wowhead.com/item=27901/blackout-truncheon?bonus=6710 instead of https://www.wowhead.com/item=31304/the-essence-focuser. The icon looks similar but Truncheon is BoP while Focuser is BoE. Plus, that drop rate is more in line with legacy loot on that boss than you super high-rolled 10 of a BoE in 25 runs on a single boss.

Taking inspiration from @Wildream 's post in another thread, I've been farming Silverbound Treasure Chests in Outland, and wanted to share my findings. The first time I got an Essence Focuser, it took 50-someodd chests, so I got excited that this may make for an easy farm. Another 310-someodd chests later, I finally got a second Essence Focuser.

Looking at WoWhead's sources for the weapon, note that there are two (out of several) Silverbound Treasure Chests within which the weapon may reside. Even though they share the same name, it seems they have different loot tables as pointed out by a WoWhead commenter. I had nearly given up hope on a second Focuser, so I decided to confine my search to Netherstorm, where I found the first one. Literally two days later, I scored the second one from the exact same chest as the first one, at 56.1 19.9, the northeasternmost chest.

Zangarmarsh has by far the highest prevalence of chests. On a good run, I'll score 4 and have gotten as high as 6. I've only gotten 2 or 3 from any other zone, with a maximum of 2 from Netherstorm.

I compiled the loots below if they're useful for someone's further research. See how some loots appear much more often than others? Some of that is a function of drop rate, but the especially low ones with only 1 or 2 entries tended (but not always) to appear in Netherstorm, further lending credence to the idea that there are different Silverbound Treasure Chest loot tables.

It's entirely possible I just got lucky/unlucky with drop rates and locations and that looting from the same chest location was purely a coincidence. But at least this provides a start for more research if someone feels so inspired. While 360+ treasure chests is a lot, the vast majority of those came from Zangarmarsh, and I'd estimate I looted maybe 50 chests in Netherstorm to get both Essence Focusers.

Full disclosure, about 40% of these loots came from my 39, which I used to fly my 20 around to get the chests (it took my addled brain awhile to realize I could loot the same chest). I don't think that influences the data much, other than being able to get inside the chests that require level 25+.
5x Abyss Walker's Boots
12x Amulet of Unstable Power
6x Amulet of Sanctification
7x Axe of the Legion
2x Band of Dominion
3x Band of Sorrow
7x Blade Dancer's Wristguards
8x Blade of Unquenched Thirst
3x Blade of Trapped Knowledge
4x Bludstone Hammer
6x Boots of the Pathfinder
7x Boots of Savagery
2x Boots of Zealotry
1x Bracers of Unmitigated Larceny
10x Braxxis' Staff of Slumber
6x Breastplate of Blade Turning
9x Chestguard of Illumination
1x Captain Carver's Persuader
2x Ced's Carver
7x Cloak of Entropy
3x Cloak of the Craft
1x Corehound Fang Shoulderpads
2x Crown of Endless Knowledge
1x Crystalblade of the Draenei
2x Crystal Pulse Shield
1x Crystalforged War Axe
1x Direwing Legguards
7x Demon Hide Spaulders
1x Doombringer
1x Drakesfire Epaulets
3x Dreamwalker Armor
2x Eaglehorn Long Bow
1x Earthborn Kilt
1x Elekk Hide Leggings
3x Feathermoon Headdress
15x Fist of Reckoning
3x Garrett Family Crest
6x Gauntlets of Purification
4x Gauntlets of the Skullsplitter
7x Girdle of Divine Blessing
2x Girdle of Gale Force
11x Girdle of Siege
1x Girdle of the Howling Berzerker
11x Gloves of Pandemonium
7x Gloves of Piety
3x Headdress of Inner Rage
10x Headdress of the Sleeper
2x Lady Alizabeth's Pendant
1x Leggings of the Shattered Hand
9x Leggings of the Sly
1x Lola's Lifegiving Branch
1x Lord Alexander's Battle Axe
3x Magiskull Cuffs
3x Maiden's Circle
3x Mask of Veiled Death
1x Mass of McGowan
1x Medallian of Grand Marshall Morris
1x Milan's Mastercraft Band
1x Necklace of Trophies
1x Orb of Deception
2x Pathfinder's Band
13x Pendant of Cunning
1x Sandals of Broken Dreams
1x Sapphiron's Scale Boots
2x Scales of the Beast
6x Scarlet Kris
3x Serathil
10x Shield of the Wayward footman
10x Shroud of Frenzy
2x Shroud of Spiritual Purity
2x Spaulders of the Unseen
1x Staff of Divine Infusion
2x Staff of Hale Magefire
2x Stonegrip Gauntlets
12x Storm Lord's Girdle
1x Sword of Zeal
11x The Dreamer's Shoulderpads
2x The Essence Focuser
8x The Gunblade
1x The Master's Treads
1x The Needler
1x The Oathkeeper
1x Torch of Austen
4x Valanos' Longbow
2x Worgen's Ring of Revitalization
2x Windrunner Legguards
2x Wolfrunner Shoes
10x "requires level 25"

When I first read this thread I assumed the gear looted in Netherstorm scaled to 25. Is that not the case…?

When I first read this thread I assumed the gear looted in Netherstorm scaled to 25. Is that not the case…?

I can't speak for mob drops, but certainly some chests drop items usable at 20 (including the titular item of this thread). Other chests in Netherstorm do indeed require level 25 to open. It's possible the drops are area-specific within a zone for mobs and/or chests.

Just had it drop from the trash right at the second boss for my 60... found it funny. Never doubted you! ;)

CCUh7e0.png

Just had it drop from the trash right at the second boss for my 60... found it funny. Never doubted you! ;)

CCUh7e0.png

Awesome! I looted 3 BoE and the rest the BoP one… slept on method to farm them for certain. I looked at my items vendord cache and restored them lol.

I literally thought they were trash lol not kidding. Need to lay off the beers when I’m farming lol

Users who are viewing this thread