Exploit On The Loose! Enchant Your Gear While You Still Can!

iaccidentallytwink

Guild Master
Exploit On The Loose! All kinds of enchantments available on dungeon gear!

We do not endorse exploits here on TI. This article was created for the reason of fixing the exploit and making more people aware of it so that Blizzard looks to provide a fix on an accelerated timetable. In addition, be careful; there is one unconfirmed report of a permanent ban for "continued exploitation", and several 3 day bans going out from player reports. If you plan on using this, be ready to face the consequences.

1ekhn6.png

If you've been around for the last few years, especially pre-3.1 and immediately, you probably recognize the above enchant and know that after leg armor was nerfed it was the best enchant (arguably alongside the 10 Frost and Nature Resistance versions) obtainable for level 19s that still remained active on your legs after the mighty cleft nerf! Thanks to a new exploit, you can now once again enchant your legs with this, and this time, on dungeon BoP gear.

I'd like to explain how enchants work. You can't just slap any enchant on any piece of gear and roll with it (and I mean if you can actually apply the enchant). At least not anymore. Blizzard has had too many problems with this and 3.1 was the final nail in the coffin for "real" exploitable enchantables. Once you actually get the enchant on a piece of armor, you have to remember that:

1) Nearly all enchants now bind the piece of gear to you.
2) Nearly all enchants now have a level requirement.
3) Nearly all profession enchants now have a profession requirement.

Luckily for us, the exploit circumvents 1 above on blue gear (BoE AND BoP) obtained from dungeon bosses and mobs. This leaves us to consider 2 and 3. All things considered, levels below 50 are left with almost no high level enchants. Unfortunately, Blizzard though it would be smart for Socket Bracer and Socket Gloves to only require Blacksmithing (1), so at the moment that's available as low as level 13 when you get Crystalline Cuffs or Cavedweller Bracers.

t4uyw0.png

Checking 2 and 3 is possible in game. The enchantment +40 Intellect to rings is restricted by 3 above (Requires Enchant 475). Because Enchanting 475 requires at the very minimum level 75, it is essentially restricted to level 75 and up enchanters. While there are rarely, if any at all, enchantments that use both methods 2 and 3 of restricting their use, almost all enchantments above skill 300 require either a character level or skill level. If you wish to verify for yourself, you can confirm with the method below.

Verifying with WoWHead and a level 1.
1)
Find the enchantment ID you wish to confirm (ex: Enchant Item: +4 All stats (2931). Taken from this page.)
2) Find a ring or item eligible for the enchant, and grab the in-game link for it. We'll use this as an example.
3) In the link, find the string of zeros separated by colons(:). Replace one of the zeroes with the enchantment ID. (ex: /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("\124cff1eff00\124Hitem:7552:2931:0:0:0:0:0:0:0\124h[Falcon's Hook]\124h\124r");)
4) Enter your modified link in-game, and click the item! For our example, you can see "Enchantment Requires Enchanting (350)".

fw29g1.png

The uses in the 70 bracket should be apparent. Everyone who's BiS gloves are dropped from Sunwell no longer need to relevel engineering for that Tazik Shocker or Synapse Springs! You can use this to get whatever tinker you desire on your gloves, provided they are dropped from a dungeon and not Bind on Equip, or a quest reward, vendor item, etc. Another thing most people don't know about, is that the level 70 leg imbues by Leatherworkers and Tailors (this, this, this, and this) don't actually require leatherworking or tailoring, only level 65. Some people determined to min-max have taken up Leatherworking or Tailoring and dropped it after enchanting just for those extra stats. That's no longer needed with this if your Best in Slot leggings are dropped in Sunwell or another dungeon.​

olrvs.png

Finally, we have the old ring enchants, which require level 62 to obtain due to the rep requirement. Enchanting 350 (the requirement for the ring enchants to be active), however, is obtainable as low as level 50. Thanks to this exploit you can now enchant your rings and have them work below level 62. This also goes for 3 old engineering tinkers (the most useful one, in PvP, being the Mind Control Dish), which require 390 or 400 to learn but 350 to use; now obtainable at level 50! I was afraid that the +240 haste enchant would require 350, but I checked it out and luckily it's 400 (390 is the highest obtainable below level 65, unless you got it grandfathered pre-3.1, when it required level 60.), so we won't see anyone below level 60 running around with that one; though I'd be more worried about the grandfathered Tazik Shocker and Synapse Springs in the level 60 bracket.

ycy0h.png

Use this information well, I doubt the exploit will be around for very long. Happy twinking!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could not use exploits which will invariably be fixed creating more grandfathering BS and making twinking undesirable for future generations

While I'm against exploits, I'm for getting information out there to encourage plugging holes in the game. That said, I fear that while some players will enjoy the extra stats these can bring, this is clearly an exploit and could get some players banned. Be careful with something this blatant, people.

Edit: and thank you for a really good, concise writeup, IAT. You did an exceptional job covering the details.

I would like a "Thanks to Shamatix" Or something since i posted this in the 70 bracket forum:p but well=/ to late i guess:( please show a little love.

I would like a "Thanks to Shamatix" Or something since i posted this in the 70 bracket forum:p but well=/ to late i guess:( please show a little love.

Posted a general thanks as many people made posts about it.

Also added the bit about socket enchantments.

Lol

Always good to see people still poking and digging around in the mechanics. Hope no one catches the banhammer for it. Blizz will ban out of spite if they lose the logical debate. Their policy is just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Good luck with whoever uses it!!

Hopefully this will snowball to the point of getting Blizzard's attention. This issue will adversely affect all of the lower and some of the middle brackets, and the more prevalent this becomes, the greater chance that Blizzard will fix it.

sigh. This just ruined the 20 bracket. Thanks thirk. Now all the 24s have epic gems in their gear.
oh noes p2ps have an advantage over me!!!

if people continue to be stupid enough to log off with the exploited/ glitched gear on, then it will get hotfixed rather quickly

then what are you complaining about?

you won't be a pure f2p toon?

pick your battles, either quit complaining about 24s and p2p's and continue playing your pure f2p toon, or level up so you get the exact same advantage as they do

I have both. I prefer playing the F2P toon because it's a lot more entertaining. There's more of a feeling of accomplishment etc. That being said, if I can't outplay 24s because their advantage is so much higher (which as it is now, while definitely quite an advantage, it's not insurmountable) I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Sigh. This just ruined the 20-24 bracket.

Fixed.

I'm not doing it, simply because I don't like the idea of getting banned because of Blizzard's lack of foresight. I'm not saying they'll do it, but they are petty about things. I'm playing it safe.

The faster this info gets out, the quicker Blizz will find out about it and be in a position to fix it.

I started a thread in the bug forum here: [Exploit] Socket via trade window - Forums - World of Warcraft if players want to use another avenue to to help this issue reach resolution. IAT did a great job helping this issue take its first steps toward resolution, and the sooner we get it resolved, the sooner we can get back to worthwhile games.

Users who are viewing this thread