Dragon's call - lvl 50 sword - crazy whelp scaling

raziel83

Legend
Dragon's Call - Item - World of Warcraft

So I grabbed 2 of these just to test it out on my lvl 50 monk while levelling to 60. Firstly the proc rate is terrible (at least for BM monk) but something strange happened in the lvl 50-59 battleground. The whelps scaled to lvl 87. Yes, 87 in the 50-59 pvp bracket. Their acid bolt was doing 1700 damage per shot. Most people have 9 k hp in this bracket.

Each whelp will do 3 x acid bolts before despawning if something is attacking you. If no one is attacking you the whelp does nothing. In a entire AB the whelps did 4% of my damage (like I said, low proc rate) which included 13 acid bolts and 3 melee hits (900 each). I did get some procs when no one was attacking me so they were wasted.

Apparently it's possible to have 3 whelps out per sword, so 6 total. Although I can't see that happening unless you were a combat rogue with full haste enchants / procs.

edit; Confirmed to also be lvl 87 in arena skirmish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did a 2v2. Destroyed a pally / warrior.

Emerald whelp did 24% of my total damage. It only proc'd once but it did 4 acid spits. Wowhead says it only does 3 but whatever. Average dmg 1714. And one melee hit for 717. All 4 hits were against the same player, the warrior (I was attacking the paladin).

These swords seem really powerful in 2v2. As long as your opponents attack you and hopefully they don't have any pets because the whelp will acid spit pets.

Just had 2 acid spits multistrike lol. Apparently my rogue partner's 'swiftblades cunning' multistrike buff works on emerald whelps.

really interesting, keep updating if you get more info please :) would like to test this myself

also, what's their healthpool when scaled in skirms?

also, what's their healthpool when scaled in skirms?

Just under 10 k hp. But I'm pretty sure they are invincible in this bracket and many others because no one can hit lvl 87 mobs. They 'die' after 15 seconds anyway.

Off topic.
What about Vibroblade? In 40-49 bracket it removes like all armor on leather armor users, so it is like 20% dmg boost. And it helps meele team-mates aswell. And cos of that, it should be better than Dragons call.

Off topic.
What about Vibroblade? In 40-49 bracket it removes like all armor on leather armor users, so it is like 20% dmg boost. And it helps meele team-mates aswell. And cos of that, it should be better than Dragons call.

I used vibro blade on my 29 BM monk twink. It's easily BIS (as long as it is mainhand) as it can increase your dmg by up to 20-25% as you said. It also procs off aoe hits from kegsmash.

But in the 50-59 or 60-69 bracket bashguuder is better. Bashguuder - Item - World of Warcraft

It will make anyone's armor zero, even prots and it's proc rate is much better than rivenspike (which can go whole skirmish fights and not proc once) Rivenspike - Item - World of Warcraft

edit; In 2v2 skirmish armor ignore is probably only better if your team mate is a physical dmg dealer. Otherwise emerald whelps ignore armor anyway (nature dmg acid spits). Especially if you are able to get several of them to proc during the fight, should be more total dmg.

How is Annihilator compared to Bashguuder and Rivenspike?

To my understanding, Bashguuder and Rivenspike share their armor debuff - but if you use one of them and combine with Annihilator it's two sepperate armor-debuffs. Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

How is Annihilator compared to Bashguuder and Rivenspike?

To my understanding, Bashguuder and Rivenspike share their armor debuff - but if you use one of them and combine with Annihilator it's two sepperate armor-debuffs. Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

Yeah bash & riven share the same proc but bash will proc more often. It's very noticeable, I tested it over 100's of 2v2 in the 90-99 bracket.

Why would you need 2 armor ignore weaps? 1 stack from 1 weapon is enough to put most people on zero. 3 stacks from 1 weapon will put even bonus armor stacking tanks on zero. 2 weapons is just a waste,

Dragon's Call - Item - World of Warcraft

So I grabbed 2 of these just to test it out on my lvl 50 monk while levelling to 60. Firstly the proc rate is terrible (at least for BM monk) but something strange happened in the lvl 50-59 battleground. The whelps scaled to lvl 87. Yes, 87 in the 50-59 pvp bracket. Their acid bolt was doing 1700 damage per shot. Most people have 9 k hp in this bracket.

Each whelp will do 3 x acid bolts before despawning if something is attacking you. If no one is attacking you the whelp does nothing. In a entire AB the whelps did 4% of my damage (like I said, low proc rate) which included 13 acid bolts and 3 melee hits (900 each). I did get some procs when no one was attacking me so they were wasted.

Apparently it's possible to have 3 whelps out per sword, so 6 total. Although I can't see that happening unless you were a combat rogue with full haste enchants / procs.

edit; Confirmed to also be lvl 87 in arena skirmish.

You say that it is possible to have 6 whelps out at the same time.. But are you sure that they don't have an internal cooldown?

According to wowhead they have 1 minute Dragon's Call - Spell - World of Warcraft ?

Also do you play on EU?

You say that it is possible to have 6 whelps out at the same time.. But are you sure that they don't have an internal cooldown?

According to wowhead they have 1 minute Dragon's Call - Spell - World of Warcraft ?

Also do you play on EU?

Unfortunately I got that 3 whelps per sword from wowhead comments. After a bunch of bgs / 2v2s as a BM monk I've never seen more than one whelp at a time. Not sure about the 1 min cd....unless it's per sword. Needs more testing I guess.

And no US.

That's insane! I'm really interested in trying that out on my hunter which has summoning trinkets, he has a wolf pet, can summon a dog and a dragon also from his trinkets too. Should be a pretty overpowered combination :)

Snipester @ Alleria - Community - World of Warcraft

Jus tested it in arena with my 50 rouge twink friend, and the whelp indeed is lvl ?? and impossible to hit. The hits are not deadly and my wind shear interupted it on first try, the acid bolts it hits with has a relatively slow casting time also. And before it managed to do much harm it already died by itself. So not game breaking OP maybe, but relatively OP, one of the pets you actually might want to care about, just interupt if u can at least you will never be able to hit it, or actually kite away from it if possible since it disappears so relatively quickly. only 15 seconds.

The sword has an internal CD, I tested this many times. You only have a chance to summon 1 whelp every minute or so.
Unfortunately I got that 3 whelps per sword from wowhead comments. After a bunch of bgs / 2v2s as a BM monk I've never seen more than one whelp at a time. Not sure about the 1 min cd....unless it's per sword. Needs more testing I guess.

And no US.

"testing" is a bit of a big word :p

If you used it for more than an hour you would notice that only one whelp ever spawns.

Users who are viewing this thread