Death Knight...?

Zorch

I haven’t seen any chatter about them whatsoever in this bracket aside from Blood being able to solo dungeons, which apparently is possible and not even impressive with pure DPS classes nowadays...

Anyway, are any of the DK specs “viable” in 20 PvP at the moment? Viable meaning they don’t immediately get their doodoo packed in if a Marks Hunter looks at them. I appreciate the ole “every class/spec is viable” mantra, but quite frankly that’s always been a horseshit copout parroted by “veteran” twinks in an attempt to dissuade even more people from rolling FoTM — so, shoot me straight, ladies! I get it, I just don’t want to spend an entire expansion gearing a class or spec to find out they get their lunch eaten by leveler trash.

Thanks!

Too much really good utility to ignore.
unless DK brain sets in...

tenor.gif

Both specs are viable and perform well. I wouldn't classify them as top-tier. Though I can say in a 1v1 situation - you'd better buckle up.

I recommend not mix stating gems with haste. As runes flow like water. In other words another secondary stat is going to be what you want.

Both specs are viable and perform well. I wouldn't classify them as top-tier. Though I can say in a 1v1 situation - you'd better buckle up.

I recommend not mix stating gems with haste. As runes flow like water. In other words another secondary stat is going to be what you want.

Buckle up as in DKs are good at 1v1 or buckle up as in if you’re a DK and try to solo someone you’re going to get your ass kicked?

Buckle up as in DKs are good at 1v1 or buckle up as in if you’re a DK and try to solo someone you’re going to get your ass kicked?

Dk's are super strong 1v1. Proper gearing/gemming - youll be pleased.

I prefer dk's to be a team-player though. So don't go all hulksmash.

Err.. If that's how you think of mm hunters.. Why not roll a mm and all your concerns will vaporize instantly? :D

Lol, but seriously — the majority of screenshots/scoreboards I see are literally 50+% Hunters... blah.

Now, if there was an anti-Hunter you may have my attention :).
[doublepost=1609379283,1609378884][/doublepost]
Dk's are super strong 1v1. Proper gearing/gemming - youll be pleased.

I prefer dk's to be a team-player though. So don't go all hulksmash.

That’s awesome to hear... Unholy DK is literally one of the only specs in the entire game I’ve never played, so maybe this little inquiry of mine will materialize into a proper toon being created.

Lol, but seriously — the majority of screenshots/scoreboards I see are literally 50+% Hunters... blah.

Now, if there was an anti-Hunter you may have my attention :).
[doublepost=1609379283,1609378884][/doublepost]

That’s awesome to hear... Unholy DK is literally one of the only specs in the entire game I’ve never played, so maybe this little inquiry of mine will materialize into a proper toon being created.
Hunters have limited self healing.. A strong mm hunter aims to kill an enemy preferably with minimum number of shots.. A few classes I think can kill a geared hunter.. A well geared resto shaman, resto druid and a monk who knows how to play a monk.. If a shaman and druid is not killed within 2 shots, it means their overall stats are strong, their heal over time can withstand the hunter's hit, and in this case they can counter attack, even if their damage is not high, they will not die, and they can slowly kill hunters. The problem is most resto think they are healers.. Very few resto I meet in bg thinks like a dps.. And very few I encounter actually runs after their prey in bg to hunt them down like dps.. Shaman and druid can run.. So there is no reason why they cannot catch up with a hunter and kill him.. But 99% of them actually runs away from hunters in bg.. I think maybe these resto are not geared and they think they get 2 shots.. So they play safe.. But in my opinion if I have to say anti hunter class, it's resto shaman and druid.. Melee classes no way.. Mages and locks can't too

Arcane mage is a solid MM hunter counter, alter time the two aimed shots with netherwind armor pvp talent to reduce their crit chance by 15%. 9/10 hunters will unload everything into altertime because they are hunters. Do a split of int gems and steady gems, arcane can do big damage on its own with its damage modifiers. I almost never lose to MM hunters in a 1v1 on my arcane mage, the majority of the time I send them turtling away in terror. Op if you are looking for something that can beat hunters in 1v1's consistently you are going to have a bad time, a good hunter should be beating everything in a 1v1.

@Chops said something yesterday that resonated and I think is really important:

Your twink doesn’t exist in a silo.

MM Hunters are great at steamrolling levelers, but when you actually get a “competitive” matchup with Twinks on both sides, they’re rarely the difference makers because they don’t offer much in the way of team utility. They can kite and put out damage, sure, but when you get a few vets in Talasite sets with off-heals, it really doesn’t matter.

This is why I think classes like DKs, Pallies, Wars, Locks, Shamans, Monks, Druids, etc. etc. are really under-appreciated; in a silo, they may not appear to be the “best”...but in an actual BG setting where you have 10-14 other teammates the utility you bring is what moves the needle...getting a grip on a Mage who just blinked, or getting a HoJ on a rogue that just opened on your healer, or leg-sweeping a warrior that just charged your frontline, etc. is so much more impactful.

I’d rather have a competent, geared DK than an MM Hunter 10 times out of 10 in a “competitive” BG. And the matches where you’re facing levelers and an MM Hunter shines and tops leaderboards, you’d most likely win anyway, regardless of what class you’re twinking.

So I’d say, go for it! Find a guild or group that you like to play with, and I’m sure that they’ll appreciate having your DK utility on the squad.
[doublepost=1609433000,1609432638][/doublepost]

Also, FWIW, scoreboards/dmg meters are more of a distraction/misleading than a true representation of the impact you had on the outcome of a match...Rather than looking at scoreboards and determining which spec you want to play based on who has the biggest DMG numbers, go pull up some armories and compare BG Win Rates; I guarantee the MM Hunters are going to win fewer games than healers or hybrids that bring utility to the table.

Blood is just nuts, Haven't stepped into BG yet but I expect the tank debuff will make it pretty subpar. I get 1200 https://www.wowhead.com/spell=206931/blooddrinker in dungeons.

Frost is good. About 40% of my damage is melee swing so don't skimp on Strength. Mastery buffs your next 2 highest abilities, Frost Fever and Frost Strike so you'll want that. https://www.wowhead.com/spell=49020/obliterate is 4th on my charts but you'll still use it all the time. 2her yellows hit harder than double 1hers. Not a big fan of the OH miss/glancing damage either. If you want double sader just wep swap. I've seen double sader probably 1-2 times, it's rare for whatever reason. Swapping to +wep damage while sader is up seems more reliable.

Unholy ramp-up is slow but high haste zombies are good.

Overall if you want a Hunter counter, DK is probably one of the best options. That said, winning 1v1 vs a good hunter probably won't happen. But a strong support class for BGs, very much so.

Last edited:
never talent on chains.
It's a 70% reduction in PvP but honestly it still hits really hard lol
I think 20 stacks is 650-700 damage for me outside BG, so a 200 damage opener inside... I'm still messing around with talents, the Obliterate buff is my go to for now.

Not to be a goofball and hijack my own thread — buuut how’s Rogue doing? I don’t know why, but Sub intrigues me... no clue if it (or Outlaw or Assassination) pumps out legitimate damage, but I don’t have a million friends I play with, so I often find myself the sole person working toward objectives in BGs if it falls apart or no one else cares... at least Rogue is somewhat better equipped to do that when your team is getting whomped!

Not to be a goofball and hijack my own thread — buuut how’s Rogue doing? I don’t know why, but Sub intrigues me... no clue if it (or Outlaw or Assassination) pumps out legitimate damage, but I don’t have a million friends I play with, so I often find myself the sole person working toward objectives in BGs if it falls apart or no one else cares... at least Rogue is somewhat better equipped to do that when your team is getting whomped!

seen some people have success with it, but I think feral druid is the stronger stealth class.

I was playing around with a mastery/vers mut rogue and I have gotten 1k+ envenoms in pvp. But in order to get envenom you need to take dfa pvp talent and it has a 30 sec cd.

Users who are viewing this thread