Currently Learning Japanese

Discussion in 'Localized Forum' started by Tom Ganks, Aug 21, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Tom Ganks

Tom Ganks Formerly Robo

Over the past couple months I’ve slowly but surely started re-evaluating myself and where I want to be in the future. Now whether or not I will move there for permanent residence or simply live there for a short period to teach or whatever, that’s TBD. I recently just struck a job at a Surveying company and the pay is good. I want to stay in the states for a good 3-4 years and possibly save money. I’m single and have relatively little expense, so money won’t be too big of an issue.

Texas has been good to me, but I feel like Im not meant to stay forever. The world is large, and learning a different language and culture seems like it would provide perspective and a fresh start. Also not to undermine the challenge.

Why I choose Japan is that the land is beautiful and the people are highly respectful. My thoughts are that I might live in a small town and away from the city so I can start small and not overwhelm myself. English teachers are of high demand and the JET program provides government housing for those who wish to teach it in JP.

These are currently my two favorite channels for getting to know the language and the land. Abroad in Japan can certainly set a better explanation through his videos than I can so I’d recommend you check out some of his stuff.

Japanese From Zero
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxuZNRnlprC70l1bnI0n-XQ

Abroad in Japan
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCHL9bfHTxCMi-7vfxQ-AYtg

Also using a few apps like “Japanese!” and “Tinycards” help imbetween with the Hiragana, Kanji and Katakana (Kanji will be a bitch, but fun to learn). I’ll prob use italki when I can form basic sentence structure so I’m not wasting my time and money going 1m/h.

What are your thoughts? Any particular routes I should take, savings/career advice, or learning programs for the language?

2. Bestworld

Bestworld MBA

Look up the app 'Instant Translator' for your phone.

This is also pretty fucking awesome, i l i. If you don't know what "i l i" is, it's basically a portable instant speak-to-speak translator.

As for learning the actual language, it really depends. Would you consider yourself a linguist? What I try to do when learning a new language is basically to surround myself with that language as much as possible. Music, TV, anything that will continuously connect me with the language. I personally never resolve to online learning programs. I need first-hand experiences when it comes to languages. TV is really helpful, because you can have subtitles and then turn them off after a while, then back on etc. to force yourself to learn the language. You also get context to what is said etc.

Also, Japanese is one of the "harder" languages to pick up if you're doing it from scratch. And no, weeb japanese doesn't count. Kono baka PunOko.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kageroo

Kageroo Grandfathered

I think I am gonna commit sudoku.

• Surprised Surprised x 1
  4. OP
    Tom Ganks

Tom Ganks Formerly Robo

I'll have to order one some time. Not sure when I plan on traveling (like for vacation).

Nope. English is my only current language atm. Nothing compared to this guy.

I would love the idea of decorating my room with random Japanese stuff to help catch-on and keep my mind on it, but being in a southern household, that probably wouldn't bold well and wouldn't be worth the weird looks from people lol. I do watch Japanese game shows and comedy from time to time, as well as the obvious (manga/anime here and there). Can't say manga was my influence, but it definitely opened my eyes to Japanese aesthetics and some terms here and there. I think if anyone is wanting to live in Japan just because they like anime and for some reason everyone there will give a shit, they're an idiot. But my reasons are separate.

Personally I don't mind learning programs as long as they teach you the foundation of the language and aren't just trying to make you sound like a polite (yet oblivious) foreigner. This guy explains it pretty well I would assume. I find it great to do both learning programs (if you can stomach it) as well as just watching Japanese TV or looking at Japanese shopping catalogs (to learn characters for everyday items). Learning the foundation seems important to me, so that I'm able to piece-together words and phrases. Also know the writing despite the fact that I'll probably never learn much more than 800-1000 kanji characters in my life-time (about 2100 is what's used every-day). But who knows maybe I'll become entranced.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  5. Bestworld

Bestworld MBA

You don't have to decorate your room for it, but you got the gist of it.

Again, it all comes down to the individual and how they feel like they learn the best. Maybe online programs are fine for you.

I've picked up quite a few languages, but 2 of them is basically near the same as my own language (Swedish and Norwegian - being a Dane is incredibly easy to pick up). Living near the border to Germany also helped me pick up German quite easily as you see German tourists quite often during the different holidays etc. as well as picking up German radio signals and tv, and it being a mandatory subject back in elementary school. Again, surrounding yourself with the language. Took Russian for 3 years in highschool (for absolutely no reason, I shoulda stuck with French or Spanish, would learn Mandarin but wasn't an option at the time). Always been told that I have "a good ear" for languages, so I'm just giving the pointers that helped me improve a lot on that front.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jealousy89741

jealousy89741 Member

i can speak Chinese and Japanese,talk with me?
    日本語と中国語喋れますよ~

7. YoungWalrus

YoungWalrus Grandfathered

I live in Japan if you need some help let me know. Which are you learning first? Hiragana, katakana, romajii, or kanji?

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    Tom Ganks

Tom Ganks Formerly Robo

Hiragana of course :)

9. Kirise

Kirise Member

Of all of the places I visited so far, I loved Tokyo the most. It's the only city I visited where what I saw and read beforehand actually undersold the true experience. And I only got to see a small fraction of the city. Kyoto and Osaka impressed as well.

I don't do well learning languages by studying. If I were to pursue another language, I would follow Idahosa Ness' Mimic Method (google that). I couldn't help but notice a lot of phonetic similarities between Japanese and Spanish (of which I know some), and now that I'm starting to pick up the sonic differences between "su" and "tsu", I think Idahosa is on to something.

Good luck, @Roboartist !

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)