F2P Comprehensive Guide to Farming Chests for 19-24 BoEs

Shft

Legend
Preface

Hello,
my name is Neil and I have been going by Shft in the Free to Play (F2P, 20-24) bracket since almost the very beginning of unlimited F2P. While I have since moved on from playing my 20s, I spent a lot of time searching for BiS BoE blues. Since F2P accounts cannot trade or use mail and the auction house, the only real way to acquire these world drop BoEs is from chests that spawn in appropriate level zones.

This thread is inspired by Kale's and Trialcasual's previous threads about chest farming. (Kale seems to have deleted all of the original posts out of his started threads for some unknown reason, you can find a screenshot of the OP on page 17) While I took the majority of the screenshots provided here were taken by myself many of the screenshots were taken by Harleybow, without whom this thread would not be possible. Using Harley's info I myself often found the locations of the chests and took my own screenshots for consistency. I'd also like to thank Bieberfeverrr, Rhaellia, Decem, and Sabekith for their contributions to the guide in one way or another.

The point of this guide is to provide direction to any F2P, 19, or even 24 looking to find BoE blue items that they could not otherwise obtain due to a trial account or possibly gold constraints. If you've just finished leveling your 20 Priest, 19 Warrior, or 24 Druid and are looking for items such as a Magician's Mantle, Thorbia's Gauntlets, or a Silver-Lined Belt this is the guide for you.

There are basically 7 viable zones to farm chests in for BoEs. The level of the zone is directly related to the level of the BoEs the chests contain. A 20-25 zone will contain the lowest level BoEs. If you look for chests in lower level zones you will find that there are no blues in the chests, only greens. Of course, the greens aren't really worth anything. If you search for chests in higher level zones such a 25-30 zones you will find higher level BoEs such as Silver-Lined Belt (you can also find this particular item in the 20-25 zones) as well as a smaller amount of lower level BoEs.

With that said, the 7 zones are Stonetalon Mountains, Ashenvale, Hillsbrad Foothills, Wetlands, Arathi Highlands, and Stranglethorn Vale. Stonetalon, Ashenvale, Hillsbrad, and Wetlands are of the appropriate level for the BoEs F2Ps will want most. Arathi Highlands and Stranglethorn vale are higher level zones and are generally a waste of time for F2Ps to search for chests in. That being said, Arathi Highlands has a few chest spawns which are barely out of the way when moving from Hillsbrad Foothills to Wetlands and thus I think it is worth it for F2Ps and especially higher level P2Ps to check some if not all of the locations. Bear in mind that since it is a higher level zone F2Ps might very well have trouble with some of the mobs and thus some classes might need help or might just have to skip Arathi and even some locations in other zones.

My personal experience has been that Stonetalon Mountains is the best location to farm because of the low amount of players who quest in that zone. I have also found that Duskwood is by far the worst zone search for chests in because of the extremely high amount of players. This is because of the extreme popularity of humans at this point in the game an also because the human starting zone is one of the quickest zones to quest in. Another thing to mention, most if not all of the chests in Duskwood are very near to quest objectives, causing them to be easily found by questers and thus found less by those of us searching for BoEs. Since for me Duskwood has given very poor turnouts for chests I have chosen to not visit Duskwood at all and thus Stranglethorn Vale has been excluded from the guide because it is both out of the way from my normal route and also higher level.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though I have had the most success in Stonetalon and the least in Duskwood doesn't mean that your experience will be the same. I suggest to make a route of all the zones if you are seriously dedicating yourself to finding that precious BoE.

The last thing I have to say to preface the guide is something obvious but most likely overlooked: what times to search for chests? If you're a P2P you can check chests really fast with 280+ flying and even 150% flying but if you're a F2P checking chests is going to take you a lot longer, You aren't one-shotting the mobs around, you aren't shooting across the continent very fast, so what is the best way to spend your time? Well, as indicated in one of the original chest threads, chests seem to have a spawn time of somewhere around 8 hours. Blizzard doesn't give out data like this so we can really only guess. I wouldn't expect a chest to respawn exactly 8 hours from when you last looted it. With this 8 hour time frame in mind though we can pick apart times and find a good time to farm chests. Obviously not everyone will be able to farm at the optimal time due to school or work or because they are from the EU. My best luck with chests has been anywhere from ~8 hours after the start of prime time on your server until the morning. From morning to mid-day when lots of players get off work, get out of school, or finish classes is also a solid time to search for chests.

Last edited by a moderator:
8C8okDP.png

Basic Info

These are what you're going to be looking for, now might be a good time to familiarize yourself. While you might think that they are easy to spot, these are not your average vanilla chest and often they blend into the environment, becoming hard to distinguish from any other doodad ingame.

You can find more screenshots and Wowhead maps at their respective Wowhead pages:
Maplewood Treasure Chest
Runestone Treasure Chest
Dark Iron Treasure Chest
Sturdy Treasure Chest
Silverbound Treasure Chest

Another thing to keep in mind is that some zones have multiple kinds of chests. For example, the coast of Ashenvale has Runestone Treasure Chests while the rest of the zone has Sturdy Treasure Chests. Using Wowhead maps you can find all the chest locations of a certain type of chest in a zone, but looking for two types of chests in a single zone can be a pain if you don't know the locations, perhaps even causing you to page hop squinting at the little Wowhead pings. Using the Wowhead maps and also undocumented locations I have created maps of all the known chest locations allowing you to easily look through the zones without having to constantly swap between pages on Wowhead.

The maps I created are combined with Imgur albums full of pictures of each and every chest spawn in a given zone. What does this mean? No more questions about where the ping is on the map, no trying to get to the spot of the ping and then not being sure if there is no chest or if you can't find it.

Screenshot Albums

Below you can find links to the Imgur albums of chest locations as well as basic routes that I use while on my P2P while farming chests. Different routes may be obviously more efficient on a character who cannot fly, like a F2P.

The way I would suggest using these is with 2 browser tabs open for a single zone, one tab with the map and the other with the whole album so you can continue scrolling down without having to go back to the top every time you forget where the next location is. In time you will most likely learn all of the spawns by heart like I have myself. Happy Hunting!

Ashenvale
Stonetalon Mountains
Hillsbrad Foothills
Arathi Highlands
Wetlands
Duskwood
Basic Routes

Final Tips

Last but not least I’d like to share a few tips before I close.

-In areas such as Demon Fall Canyon and the Furbolg Cave in Ashenvale it is very possible that there are some chest locations I missed as well as locations that have gone undocumented by Wowhead and I. In locations such as these I suggest you check, for example, all of the furbolg camps outside the cave and every alcove inside the cave at Demon Fall Canyon and similar areas.
-Pertaining to the previous tip, only one chest can spawn in a certain area at a time. So if you find a chest at the first naga location on the coast of Ashenvale, there is no point checking the other 3 locations. I cannot be sure which sets of locations are linked, but I do know that I have never found a second chest at any one location.
-If you open a chest, you start a roughly 5 minute timer before the chest despawns regardless of whether you hold it open, very similar to the chest at the Gurubashi Arena. However, if you continually open a chest over and over again, you can basically hold it open indefinitely without it despawning. Thankfully we discovered this, as in Cataclysm we only had one summon every 2 hours, and 0 summons now. With this info you can hold open a chest for a fellow F2P or use your P2P to search for chests while you come to pick up the things you find on your F2P.
-As F2Ps it can be very useful to search for chests in a small group. With this method you can bring a few people who are all looking for a different item around and search for chests. Doing this, a lot less chests will go to waste and your chest farming can be sped up quite a bit, as long as you bring people looking for different items of course.
-Wear a hit rating set while farming chests, almost all of the mobs you will encounter will be higher than you. You probably want to wear as much hit as you can to make killing mobs easier.
-If you are priest bubbled you cannot be dazed by npcs. In cataclysm a priest could check chests in zones with higher level mobs incredibly efficiently because you only have to kill the npcs if you find a chest. So if you can just run through them with a priest bubble things become a lot easier.

Closing

In closing, I would just like to wish all users best of luck in finding their desired item, whether it be a Magician’s Mantle, Drakewing Bands, Silver-Lined Belt, or anything else. Please feel free to critique or let me know on things I’ve missed. °,…..,° *luck bite*

<This guide is complete except for chest locations yet undiscovered. Screenshots are much appreciated and credit will of course be given.> .

Amazing! :eek:

As expected! :)

I will be sure to say on the lookout for missing screenshots. ^^

Edit: I'm still like capped. D:

This is more of a question then critique. Don't some chests have different spawn timers thus making some easier to find and some harder? If they do then once we get more data it would be helpful to point out those trouble spawns but if it's all completely random then nevermind.

This is more of a question then critique. Don't some chests have different spawn timers thus making some easier to find and some harder? If they do then once we get more data it would be helpful to point out those trouble spawns but if it's all completely random then nevermind.
Blizzard doesn't give out that information, we can only really assume spawn timers from player accounts

I have one question. Can you simply die, and then use ghost as a scout to check for all those places where chest spawns?

And another one. Are there more than one chest per area at the time?.Let's say I opet one chest in Ogre mound in Duskwood, and then go to Rotten Ochard and get another one just minutes later also from the same area (Duskwood). Is it possible? or even three chests spawned at the same time per area?

[MENTION=18757]Chiesa[/MENTION]

1. no, your ghost can "see" thing(chest, mobs) if your corpse is nearby

2. yes, in wetlands there are more that 2 chest at the same time diffrent area within the same map map, how many per map idk.
if you can't find any in its suppose spawn spot then maybe another player was one step ahead of you.

Users who are viewing this thread