Complete noob

Kogs

Veteran
Hey Guys I'm new to the forum and new to veteran account as my subscription has recently ended.
I'm a bit confused on what is the better gear to equip for pvp at level 20 and need advice.

Is it better to equip highest ilevel gear or gear with the best stats for the spec?
I mainly play Horde side if that makes a difference.
The heirlooms I have access to are ilevel 24
Dungeon drop ilevel 23, and there are of course the Stonetalon Mountain vendor gear. (which has higher ilevel but typically lower or no secondary stats).

I really don't have a clue what is best to equip any general advice?
Thanks

Hey Guys I'm new to the forum and new to veteran account as my subscription has recently ended.
I'm a bit confused on what is the better gear to equip for pvp at level 20 and need advice.

Is it better to equip highest ilevel gear or gear with the best stats for the spec?
I mainly play Horde side if that makes a difference.
The heirlooms I have access to are ilevel 24
Dungeon drop ilevel 23, and there are of course the Stonetalon Mountain vendor gear. (which has higher ilevel but typically lower or no secondary stats).

I really don't have a clue what is best to equip any general advice?
Thanks

You want to look for the better stats on equipment. The item level of a particular piece of gear matters in the way that the higher level it is, the better the actual stats on them will be. Not all the Stonetalon Vendor gear is missing secondary stats, they just usually have only a single one, as opposed to the two you are used to seeing in most Boss Drops, Dungeon Satchel equipment, and BG Crate equipment.

Hey Tollo
My preference is for melee DPS class/spec. My main on my full account was a DK. I still trying to decide between survival hunter and outlaw rogue. I have given enhancement shaman, warrior and feral Druid a go but I just can’t seem to gel with those specs and Ret Pally is just painful to level up.

Leaning more towards Survival Hunter though as it has some ranged and melee ability.

iLvl doesn't matter anymore the template for that is gone. Gear for what provides the most stats/secondaries for your character. (Dont use the damn white gear with no stats)

Hey Tollo
My preference is for melee DPS class/spec. My main on my full account was a DK. I still trying to decide between survival hunter and outlaw rogue. I have given enhancement shaman, warrior and feral Druid a go but I just can’t seem to gel with those specs and Ret Pally is just painful to level up.

Leaning more towards Survival Hunter though as it has some ranged and melee ability.

If I could provide you with my 2 cents: Don't roll Survival Hunter. We are fresh out of Legion, where Survival Hunters were the scourge of the bracket. I understand if that is what you want to play, but Warrior is doing insanely well and will still kick ass for ya.

Let me know your class decision and I will suggest certain pieces.

As @Girl said, iLvl is no longer relevant, since gear provides stats in Instanced PvP.

Stats matter now.
Sooner or later BiS lists will start to flow.

Gear/enchants choice will be very dependent on your ‘style’. Some people like to stack one or two stats and some people prefer balance sets. Some people keep a large variety and experiment. That is half of the fun. I am glad it is finally back.

/cheers

Thanks for all the input guys and for the kind welcome.

I guess the good thing about f2p/veteran accounts been locked at level 20 is that rerolling is really not an issue,
at least for me I love alts and questing.

I'll give the warrior another look see if I can get into Arms or Fury.
Dominating in PVP is not going to happen as I was mainly PVE on paid account.
I think they are very different styles of play ...but I'll give it a go see where it takes me.

Thanks Tollo, Fat AL, Girl and Allybeoba I'll priortise stats over Ilevel when getting my gear together.

Unfortunately the dominant melee spec atm would probably be Outlaw Rogue with dual Elemental Force enchants. Arms/Fury warriors can top DPS charts, but will get kited by the current meta (MM hunt/Arcane Mage/Balance Druid + Disc Priests), and without endgame abilities, you have nothing to stop them from kiting you. Outlaw Rogues are alright without dual Elemental Force enchants, but still fairly weak.

Ok so melee dps may not be be optimal for PvP but it's where I've always felt most comfortable playstyle wise so i'm going to stick with it.

I'll level up my Fury Warrior and Outlaw Rogue to 20.
Any recommendations for gear for those 2 specs would be really useful thanks guys/gals :cool:

Ok so melee dps may not be be optimal for PvP but it's where I've always felt most comfortable playstyle wise so i'm going to stick with it.

I'll level up my Fury Warrior and Outlaw Rogue to 20.
Any recommendations for gear for those 2 specs would be really useful thanks guys/gals :cool:

Outlaw rogues like versa from what I've heard. Not sure about fury but there are probably some lists going in the 19 bracket, your stat prio is gonna be similar and some gear pieces aswell so dont be afraid to steal their stuff.

I have finished levelling my outlaw rogue and fury warrior to 20. Done a few dungeons on both to get a feel of them. I enjoy elements of both but had the most fun on the rogue so that’s what I’m going to focus on. Now just got to do my research on stats from what I can work out it’s a split between Versatility and haste.

Users who are viewing this thread