EU+US Coming back after some years and have some questions.

Odal

Veteran
Hello, in a moment of boredom I started looking into WoW again and saw via this site that twinking is still active and that exp off also participate in exp on bgs now. Granted there is much more equality between geared and ungeared compared to before. As I researched I learned how the item level is the main determining factor in BGs now and what the best equipment is from the sticky on this site titled "29 Legion Gear Prep guide". I also have some grandfathered items which bump my potential ilvl a few points, I'm sure.

When I considered that I wouldn't just roflstomp noobs anymore AND I could still edge out a little bit with some GF gear, I let WoW take at least another $15 from me.

Well I was sad to see not ALL my GF gear would be BIS on my prot paladin. Stuff like Razzeric's gloves and that raptor hunter chest piece having a high Ilvl didn't outweigh the 5% all plate bonus (which is also new to me… plate under 40). It seems the weapons on the previously mentioned guide were nerfed at some point and all 1h weapons have 2.6 speed. Well hey at least my skullcrusher can get some use.

Anyways all that babbling just to say I've updated some of my gear, but I guess I need to pvp for the higher Ilvl stuff. And I'll only be missing the stv fishing trinkets. But I do have some questions.

- Am I just getting these boxes from random bgs and hoping for a blue item I can use instead of the greens?

- Is there significant 29s activity or is the majority of this forum populated with 20s?

- Is there no more pvp trinket effect for non-humans at this level?

- Are there still battlegroups, or could I possibly face anyone in US being on US servers?

- Is there anything else in the guide I mentioned earlier out of date? That was posted nearly a year and a half ago…

That's all the questions I can think of atm. My character is Disgustìpate on Dragonmaw server if you're interested in taking a look (I would post the link but this is my first post on the forum and I don't wanna get accused of spam). I haven't really played this bracket since wotlk days, but I look forward to giving it a fair shot.

Pvp trinket effect is given as a spell when you join your first bg with a 3 min cd

Thanks for the responses.
Is the difference between 20 and 29 not that large? Seems like there would be quite the imbalance between the two.
Hey Odal, in all honesty most classes from 20-29 theres not much difference. Some classes have a bigger advantage than others. (Utility speaking)

But in terms of 20-29 in pugs, means nothing. As long as your a good player you will rape the majority on 20-29's anyways. (Most people are pretty average players and in terms on dps and healing, theres not much difference in the two.

I hope this information helps! :)

Couple comments for you
  • [wrong, removed]
  • You get stat bonuses at certain ilevel tipping points, not for every ilevel you increase. Soo, if you have grandfathered items it is more fun to equip them and show them off and get to play with them instead of having an extra itevel that won't do anything for you. Just switch gear around in a bg to see what makes a difference. [this one seems right from testing]

Last edited:
Couple comments for you
  • You don't have to wear your armor type until you are level 50 to get the 5% bonus. There is no 5% bonus for 29s. So your bis items are the highest item level. Wear Gnomish Mind Control Cap for example.
  • You get stat bonuses at certain ilevel tipping points, not for every ilevel you increase. Soo, if you have grandfathered items it is more fun to equip them and show them off and get to play with them instead of having an extra itevel that won't do anything for you. Just switch gear around in a bg to see what makes a difference.
False.

Well I was sad to see not ALL my GF gear would be BIS on my prot paladin.
the difference is minimal between bis and not bis. Stick to your oldschool gear in bgs.
stillo over stats.

The difference was between having ~9K or ~11K HP in prot spec. Significant enough for me

Couple comments for you
  • You don't have to wear your armor type until you are level 50 to get the 5% bonus. There is no 5% bonus for 29s. So your bis items are the highest item level. Wear Gnomish Mind Control Cap for example.
  • You get stat bonuses at certain ilevel tipping points, not for every ilevel you increase. Soo, if you have grandfathered items it is more fun to equip them and show them off and get to play with them instead of having an extra itevel that won't do anything for you. Just switch gear around in a bg to see what makes a difference.

who are u and y r u giving people incorrect information, pls not do this :d

So I like that I can queue multiple roles, but it's annoying that I'll often get WSG with no tank and I'm not a tank. It sure would be nice to change gear/spec before the BG starts. Also I have to remember to swap PvE/WPvP to my BG gear before I join the queue otherwise I'm screwed.

May try gearing up my shaman who has mongoose enchant (just for the looks and the ilvl 45 weapon, I know). But I am just a bit annoyed at how my pally will get a role that feels completely useless half the time. Either DPS in WSG (and no tank otherwise) or Tank in any other BG. Would it have been too much to allow gear/spec swapping after joining but before BG starts?

This is kinda fun for the time being, but I don't see spending more than 1 month's sub for this.

So I like that I can queue multiple roles, but it's annoying that I'll often get WSG with no tank and I'm not a tank. It sure would be nice to change gear/spec before the BG starts. Also I have to remember to swap PvE/WPvP to my BG gear before I join the queue otherwise I'm screwed.

May try gearing up my shaman who has mongoose enchant (just for the looks and the ilvl 45 weapon, I know). But I am just a bit annoyed at how my pally will get a role that feels completely useless half the time. Either DPS in WSG (and no tank otherwise) or Tank in any other BG. Would it have been too much to allow gear/spec swapping after joining but before BG starts?

This is kinda fun for the time being, but I don't see spending more than 1 month's sub for this.
Hi there and welcome back ;)

There's no reason why u can't change gear inside a bg. I switch sets all the time before the bg starts between my wPvP and iPvP sets. You can also change specs if it's the same role type you queued for.

And, u mentioned the Mongoose illusion. If your not already aware - you can actually transmog enchant illusions on your weapon. You may not have access to all of them if you haven't played in a while. Some are easy to get by farming low level dungeons / raids. You should try and get as many as you can while you have the sub.

Have fun!

Hi there and welcome back ;)

There's no reason why u can't change gear inside a bg. I switch sets all the time before the bg starts between my wPvP and iPvP sets. You can also change specs if it's the same role type you queued for.

And, u mentioned the Mongoose illusion. If your not already aware - you can actually transmog enchant illusions on your weapon. You may not have access to all of them if you haven't played in a while. Some are easy to get by farming low level dungeons / raids. You should try and get as many as you can while you have the sub.

Have fun!
Hey that's neat. I hardly ever go out of my way for fashion's sake though. As for the gear, I can change the gear after joining but the stats don't change is what I meant. Went in with my pve tank set just to be short a couple thousand health in pvp because it wasn't all plate. Oops. Changing gear didn't fix it.

the difference is minimal between bis and not bis. Stick to your oldschool gear in bgs.
stillo over stats.
Strange, earlier I replied that at one point I had 11K health and that was definitely the case in one of my BGs as tank, but doesn't seem that's the case anymore and I'm not sure what I'm missing. This quote may be more right than I thought. Heck, I'm probably wrong about stats not changing in BGs after changing gear too haha.

Heck, I'm probably wrong about stats not changing in BGs after changing gear too haha.

you do get extra stats from using your class type - plate in your case.
Now will it help you against 2k damage in one global from several classes? no.
Sometimes calculation of stats is wrong and you keep same stats even if you switch gear in bg.

Regardless, it does not matter.
Just play bgs the way you enjoy it and eventually you endup with spare set of bg blues.
Nothing says twink like a lucky fishing hat.
Especially since no one beside cloth classes are able to get it anymore.

Thanks for pointing out I was wrong about armor type. I was going off the tool tip. So then I was curious from what you said and tried swapping a plate item for a leather item of the same ilevel and my stats when down.

50stats.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread