Clarification of Private Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLindsay

10s4Lyf
  1. This is a Privately owned Website, your "Rights" do not exist in this place.
  2. Being a Privately owned Entity, the Founders/Owners and any person they give Mod status too have the ability to do whatever is within the scope of what the Founding Members have envisioned for this Website.
  3. There's already a Thread posted about how Mods are no longer going to tolerate shenanigans from a very small portion of this Community since we're receiving a large influx of new Players curious about Twinking.
  4. "Free Speech" may enable you to say whatever is on your mind, no matter how horrible it is, but it also gives others the ability to call you out for being a Bully. And being a Privately owned Entity, this Website may freely sensor any post at any time with or without notification and there's nothing any of us can do about it.
  5. Don't say horrible things and your posts won't get deleted, common sense.

Some people think being on a forum for a while gives them the right to do whatever they want, despite it being negative for the overall feel of the forum.

Special snowflakes, and the like.

Can we please institute some guidelines/rules publicly available, IF you want to moderate everyone and their mom that is on you but
I think the majority of users would benefit from having something publicly available regarding this.

This website used to be about the community, now that you have explained that this is truely not the case anymore do you have any particular plans for the private entity known as XP OFF? Instituting robots to post perhaps?

Can we please institute some guidelines/rules publicly available, IF you want to moderate everyone and their mom that is on you but
I think the majority of users would benefit from having something publicly available regarding this.
I'm certainly not against having a CoC of sorts, but the point of my post is that this Website doesn't have to do that because they are Privately owned.

I can see that being a decent idea, but I'm pretty sure general forum etiquette should be a given.

Acting like this is some sort of totalitarian regime stripping you of your rights you fought for is kind of silly.

I've not seen anything in poor taste or judgement by them, but yeah.

People threw a fit on TI about Kincaide, because he was actually moderating. For a long period that site had pretty much a "Whatever goes" in many of the sub forums, and it does nothing but drive people away and lead to a toxic community.

That's not to imply that the members there were toxic, or even meaning any harm. It just tends to be how it is.

And you would think general moderating etiquette would be there as well.... It goes both ways you know.
Yes to a point, again we have no "Rights" here and having any detailed 'Rules' as to how Mods are to behave grants, in some part, Rights to posters on this Website. This could then become a bothersome chore on the Mods part and may end up resulting in dissolving this Website that quite frankly MANY people rely on. I think it's best that we (the People if you will) just behave in a manner that we'd expect from others so that we don't scare away new Twinks from sticking around. I don't really see why that's too much to ask of us all.

EDIT: Make no mistake, I too have had comments deleted and I too have made brash comments directed specifically at others, I'm human and am in no part immune to getting butt hurt.

Right I mean I just want to set the record straight for people that don't know... we are enforcing a rule that has been around since the TI days and was part of the launch of XPOFF.

"Extreme hostile behavior toward another member won't be tolerated"
Which is covered here https://xpoff.com/threads/a-vision-of-moderation.165/ under "family friendly" or "trolley post over content" which is dated Jan 27th 2016.

That's all that's being done.

Yes to a point, again we have no "Rights" here and having any detailed 'Rules' as to how Mods are to behave grants, in some part, Rights to posters on this Website. This could then become a bothersome chore on the Mods part and may end up resulting in dissolving this Website that quite frankly MANY people rely on. I think it's best that we (the People if you will) just behave in a manner that we'd expect from others so that we don't scare away new Twinks from sticking around. I don't really see why that's too much to ask of us all.

I have behaved extremly well on this PRIVATE NEW ENTITY known as XP OFF. It is hard to understand because during the old site, where our old posts got taken from, posting satire was a common thing and very appreciated. It gave me many of the likes I have on my account for example =)

Was just a shock to me that my satire thread got not only removed after a few minutes but also that there was 0 notifications/reasons given. And then my personal status updates got removed.

Would be appreciated if the people in charge would make some public posts regarding rules but also stance jokeing/swearing/criticism, things that I would consider being key things on the previous site.

I was away from the site for a few weeks so if I missed the memo on some big new change in forum policy then I appologize, if anything like that has happened please link the thread to me.

Thanks

Right I mean I just want to set the record straight for people that don't know... we are enforcing a rule that has been around since the TI days and was part of the launch of XPOFF.

"Extreme hostile behavior toward another member won't be tolerated"
Which is covered here https://xpoff.com/threads/a-vision-of-moderation.165/ under "family friendly" or "trolley post over content" which is dated Jan 27th 2016.

That's all that's being done.

I guess making a satire post with the main intent of being funny is against these terms. Sad that we would lose such an art over such broad terms. Hopefully you improve the moderation system, having it like the old TI where if anything was removed a message was sent to the user, as it currently is anything can be deleted with the thread maker not being notified. Surely we do not want that.

I have behaved extremly well on this PRIVATE NEW ENTITY known as XP OFF. It is hard to understand because during the old site, where our old posts got taken from, posting satire was a common thing and very appreciated. It gave me many of the likes I have on my account for example =)

Was just a shock to me that my satire thread got not only removed after a few minutes but also that there was 0 notifications/reasons given. And then my personal status updates got removed.

Would be appreciated if the people in charge would make some public posts regarding rules but also stance jokeing/swearing/criticism, things that I would consider being key things on the previous site.

I was away from the site for a few weeks so if I missed the memo on some big new change in forum policy then I appologize, if anything like that has happened please link the thread to me.

Thanks

So that kind of stuff was discussed recently here https://xpoff.com/threads/a-more-welcoming-positive-environment.69361/

You are allowed to swear so long as it's not at another member and overly offensive/toxic.

I never like to delete posts without notification, I think at this point we are all just trying to help out the best we can. It's not a new standard that we don't inform you or anything but we do limit public discussions of moderating. You will get a message next time.

@Nicozy Here's the thing on Sarcasm/Satire on the Internet, it's VERY difficult to tell when it crosses the line into Bullying. While you for example may banter back and forth with Pizza (just using as an example) and the 2 of you get along like the best of friends, it's hard to read the subtleness of your subtext within the scope of those interactions. That also differs completely from a poster that outright calls other Members names, posts memes about them using Autism as an attack or disease, etc.

Also, keep in mind that Mods are Humans too and we all make mistakes, we all get butt hurt from time to time, we all overreact, etc. But you also have to look at it from the perspective of a new Player, or at least one new to Twinking. They don't have the years of TI/XPOff knowledge of who's joking and who's not. All they see is, in some cases, nothing but filth from a few Members on a regular basis and it might turn them away from our now growing Community.

So that kind of stuff was discussed recently here https://xpoff.com/threads/a-more-welcoming-positive-environment.69361/

You are allowed to swear so long as it's not at another member and overly offensive/toxic.

I never like to delete posts without notification, I think at this point we are all just trying to help out the best we can. It's not a new standard that we don't inform you or anything but we do limit public discussions of moderating. You will get a message next time.
I did not swear, pure satire based on a historic example with the intent of causing laughter and joy. But enough about that. I think that the more stuff is publicly avaiable regarding potential moderation etc is great. I would suggest making a seperate page for "guidelines" next to groups on the main page.

Thanks for the public discourse on this issue.

Delindsay and Sponsor are becoming some of my favorite people on here.

@Nicozy While you for example may banter back and forth with Pizza (just using as an example) and the 2 of you get along like the best of friends, it's hard to read the subtleness of your subtext within the scope of those interactions. .
Which also can be perceived wrong by new members, and drive them away. Or perhaps, a friend of Pizza's may not know the context, and feel they were being insulted, and jump in to defend them....Causing nothing but flaming eachother over something with no ill intent.

@Nicozy Here's the thing on Sarcasm/Satire on the Internet, it's VERY difficult to tell when it crosses the line into Bullying. While you for example may banter back and forth with Pizza (just using as an example) and the 2 of you get along like the best of friends, it's hard to read the subtleness of your subtext within the scope of those interactions. That also differs completely from a poster that outright calls other Members names, posts memes about them using Autism as an attack or disease, etc.

Also, keep in mind that Mods are Humans too and we all make mistakes, we all get butt hurt from time to time, we all overreact, etc. But you also have to look at it from the perspective of a new Player, or at least one new to Twinking. They don't have the years of TI/XPOff knowledge of who's joking and who's not. All they see is, in some cases, nothing but filth from a few Members on a regular basis and it might turn them away from our now growing Community.

That is true however I do think we have to keep some sort of common decency as human beings and not just consider all users/staff as people with no understanding of humor or a low intellect.

That will lead to one hell of a dry experience =). I like to think the users on this website contribute the absolute most to the success of the site, satire being one of the ways. Sometimes guides or asking about gear is something we have already consumed.

That is true however I do think we have to keep some sort of common decency as human beings and not just consider all users/staff as people with no understanding of humor or a low intellect.

That will lead to one hell of a dry experience =). I like to think the users on this website contribute the absolute most to the success of the site, satire being one of the ways. Sometimes guides or asking about gear is something we have already consumed.
I definitely think having fun and some satire and joking should be fine. And I agree, almost all these guides are things I already know about. A good reason I come back and stay is the people and experience. I already know what the BiS weapon for classes are, in example. But having fun conversations is also a key forum experience.

In a sense, like a bar. You can drink at home for cheaper, but you lose the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread