Burst DPS Issues

Oocheechoo

Legend
So I had a few questions about all this burst damage going on out there. I would post it on the public forums, but I don't feel like being the person that caused a 20+ page drama thread. So, I thought I would bring it to the more mature audience.

Right now, mages are without a doubt the highest burst dps class out there. People are constantly complaining about the mages and how hard they hit (mainly fire). One of the things that countered the mage and all their "burstiness' was aimed shot.

Now on US servers, aimed shot has been banned from the 39 bracket due to it's "OP"ness (no pun intended). Don't you think that aimed shot should be brought back to balance out the current burst of a mage? I am a prot pally as most of you know and I get hit for 2-4k easily by these fire mages (depending on what procs).

Thanks guys. :p

Oocheechoo said:
So I had a few questions about all this burst damage going on out there. I would post it on the public forums, but I don't feel like being the person that caused a 20+ page drama thread. So, I thought I would bring it to the more mature audience.

Right now, mages are without a doubt the highest burst dps class out there. People are constantly complaining about the mages and how hard they hit (mainly fire). One of the things that countered the mage and all their "burstiness' was aimed shot.

Now on US servers, aimed shot has been banned from the 39 bracket due to it's "OP"ness (no pun intended). Don't you think that aimed shot should be brought back to balance out the current burst of a mage? I am a prot pally as most of you know and I get hit for 2-4k easily by these fire mages (depending on what procs).

Thanks guys. :p

No reason this couldn't be brought up on our forums.

I don't think that adding fuel to the fire (hehe) is going to help you out at all. What you need is solid teammates that can get on Fire mages so they don't sit there free casting at you. They are very squishy after all. Having one Mage as support on your team providing Sheeps/CS can do wonders. Our 4 man D was able to keep Parexian et al at bay for the entirety of game 4.

I don't have a problem whatsoever with mages. They can't kill me very easily so I don't really care. It's everyone else on the field I am talking about. You know what I mean. These 15 year-olds (not that there's a problem with that age) will come into our vent and ask what is the most OP class then they will roll it and tell their friends to roll em also. I personally think all pots, bombs, bandages, grandfathered items should be allowed. None of them bother me at all. If people want to farm up the mats for em. . hey more power to em. That's just my opinion. I think you misunderstood my Nasty. I am not complaining about them. I just think we shouldn't gimp an OP attack when there are several other classes that have an attack that's just as OP.

I made this thread because I just want other's opinions. I love having no aimed shot personally. It makes it a little easier. So instead of all these hunters running around like last month, we now have all these fire mages running around.

P.S. 4.1 mages get a buff

i do agree with you ooch, people definitely see the talk about fire mages being a problem so they all go roll fire mages or respec theirs to fire. i've all but given up even attempting to discuss issues like that with most of the people on the forums because the replies are the same stupid "but you play a ret pally, lol". i try to play my druid to heal or play my ally war but horde always ends up needing dps so i switch. couple the OP classes with all the people rolling human for a 2 min trinket and you get a beefy alliance side of 3 races/classes vs a mix n match of horde.

i'm actually kind of glad about the frost dmg buff, maybe a few fire mages might switch, although i highly doubt it. that being said, something needs to be done and i don't know what, but it's going to come down to us as a community to do it since we know blizz won't.

The problem is that not just hunters, but all classes hit soooo hard. Just today someone was asking what they should roll and of course started with hunter. I kindly suggested NOT to go that route. So, he was like, well what should I make then. I thought about it and mages hit hella hard, shammies hit hella hard, hunters hit hella hard, pallies hit hella hard, rogues, feral, and Spriests present serious issues as well. It almost seems like it does not matter what you pick DPS wise, it is going to be capable of quickly rocking somone. The difference lies in how easy is it to catch someone out of and how important it is for class to maintain proper positioning.

As we see more and more people entering the bracket playing under repped specs such as feral or a well played ele you will more than likely find people complaining because they got destroyed by them. The real issue is people 'manning up' so to speak and finding ways to work together to deal with the intense amount of damage being pumped out.

What Dont said is actually very good as well (yes Dont, i thought that was a GOOD post. Hell may have just frozen over. lol) If the DPS follows a kill order of sorts it would do wonders for getting rid of that pesky Kempo, Lewl, or Parexian.

One last thing. Perhaps if more people would roll a healer the damage could be easier managed. They are many games were I am one of two dedicated healers. This coupled with the high damage may really be the underlying issue. You throw another healer or two in the mix and each healer is no longer responsible for keeping up the entire O or D up PLUS themselves all while being focus fired/interrupted by the attacking squad.

Anyway, just another way of looking at the issue I guess.

Oocheechoo said:
I just read that multishot is getting a 250% damage increase. This is going to be fun :p

This was needed. Unless you play a hunter, you will not realise how pathetically weak Multi-Shot hits at the moment. With this damage buff it will put it about on par with the damage of Arcane Shot, as in it will still only hit for about 200-250 none crit.

Hardly game-breaking like a 3k Aimed Shot ^^

39s do hit harder than they did last year. But notice something else: overall, we're coordinating better than we did last year. I don't think that's an accident.

One of the reasons I love playing in the 49 bracket, is that the crazy high damage forces players to work together. You see phenomenal teamwork emerge in PuGs when they get used to the idea that coordination is not simply the best way to win, but the only way to win. 39s still don't come close to seeing the damage that 49s deal with, but 39s don't need to, to learn the same lessons.

Damage grew overall in the 39 bracket. But I like the results we see from this change. I think games are much better now in this bracket than they've been in a long time.

There are alot of burst issues in the 39 bracket, mages are massively explosive and hunters, well, nuff said there. Ive played shamans at 39 before 3.2 and the damage they can output is insane, my twink info name and my twinks name atm (kutotems), is mostly based on the hardest hitting shaman i have seen/heard of, the original kutotems hit for over 1.6k wf, and almost a 4k burst total (adding up both WF hits and the normal melee hit dmg). Even to this day i have known shamans as one the of top 3 bursty classes in the 39 bracket if they get that lucky WF proc on the Stormstrike hit, i have nearly 1 hitted brochacho when i had zerker and a few other buffs, and he was unbuffed. hard? perhaps.If you dont beleive me, check out this link. YouTube - Kutotems, 39 twink enhancement shaman! 1.6k wf's and much more :] . Anyways, the burst issues in 39 are for sure unbalanced. All classes have their massive hard hitting abilities. Yoube is correct in his first sentence of his post. The only way to escape getting bursted down so fast is to either roll a healing class or stack up insane amounts of stamina on a prot warrior or paladin.

I'm liking Arcane over Fire right now, because -

Arcane only has one RNG to go off of: Spell Crit

Fire has several: Initial Spellcrit, Hot Streak! Proc, Pyroblast Crit and Impact procs.

Sending out 800-1.5k stacked ABs on a 1.9s cast timer is cute.

Sending out 20 300 damage Scorches which are immediately healed through while I'm fishing for an Impact-HSPyro doublecrit is less cute or at the very least, less reliable.

Jancith said:
I'm liking Arcane over Fire right now, because -

Arcane only has one RNG to go off of: Spell Crit

Fire has several: Initial Spellcrit, Hot Streak! Proc, Pyroblast Crit and Impact procs.

Sending out 800-1.5k stacked ABs on a 1.9s cast timer is cute.

Sending out 20 300 damage Scorches which are immediately healed through while I'm fishing for an Impact-HSPyro doublecrit is less cute or at the very least, less reliable.

Enjoy the reduced cast time to 2.0 secs base on Arcane Blast next patch too ;)

ITS NECOANGELUS! oh i cannot wait until i kill you again. healwhore. everytime i fought u on my warrior i beat you. even with a holy pally i killt u. l2 play w/o healz and i may just start respecting u neco.

Users who are viewing this thread