BiS Profs

Havagudwun

Veteran
So, I was assuming Engi/Alchy as BiS Profs after doin the others like LW and chanting, but Alchy is only considered BiS because of the Flask, right?

At 20, the flask gives +9 main stat. Great buff.
But also at 20,
Elixir of Brute Force gives +8 str and +8 stam.
Elixir of Greater Intellect gives +9 int.
Greater Arcane Elixir gives 14 sp and 4 crit.
Elixir of Greater Agility gives +9 agi.
All of these are Battle buffs, meaning you can still add a Defensive buff, unlike the Flask.

Waste of gold grindin to 300 for the flask if you can send mats for elixirs from main?
If so, would BiS profs be Engi/Inscript, for the shoulder chant?

Sorry if it has already been covered somewhere. I try to read most threads, but the last I saw was mentioning Alchy/Engi as ending BiS

Alchemy Flask scales to +12 while in BGs (I don't believe the elixirs scale) so for some classes/specs will be the BiS option.

Enchanting oils I feel get overlooked, Wizard oil gives +11 intellect, while lesser mana oil gives +6 versatility. These are both excellent for classes that don't rely on weapon damage. You don't need enchanting for these like you do the Alchemy flask, but I think they are worth a mention.

My take on it is...

Tier 1 = Engineering
Tier 2 = Alchemy, Inscription, Enchanting
Tier 3 = Leather working, Jewel crafting, Tailoring, Blacksmithing
Tier 4 = all gathering profs.

There are exceptions, I think Jewel crafting for Agility specs is Tier 2 for the figurine trinket :)

Appreciate the detailed response!

Thinkin after I spent that gold, I'll still drop alchy for Inscript and use elixirs so I can flex on those sweet green letters on shoulders.
+8/+8 still looks better for a str user than +12 when we use crusader

If so, would BiS profs be Engi/Inscript, for the shoulder chant?
I suppose if you have a main w/ alchemy that can keep your vet supplied and you dont mind resubbing every time you need a refill and then either having to finesse a GM into transferring that game time to another account or wait the full month before you can play again, then sure. The 2 stats or whatever you get from inscription are probably bis if you're really interested in pushing the upper limit of a stat.

The reason people really like the flask is that its a flask and it takes up one inventory slot and when taken into consideration with the existence of glider tinker, frag tinker, drums from garrison, etc and because the flask only requires 1 alch so you can drop alchemy to mine for engineering when you need... I dunno. whatever. and then just grab alchemy again and have a usable flask without having to relevel the profession *deep breath* you never have to re-sub

Its a long term convenience thing. and also... +12 stat is better than 3 of those 4 elixirs + shoulder enchant that you listed.

The problem with other flask options is that I couldn't used them anywhere (like for solo farming) and would waste them if I died shortly after using one.

Also, those Vanilla elixirs have a very short duration. This is a problem when you are used to having a Flask when doing PvE stuff.

Last edited:
Also worth noting for those that care is that the flask is not usable in arena.
[doublepost=1607614607,1607611434][/doublepost]Btw whats the shoulder enchants called? What stat difference does it make? im considering it

Btw whats the shoulder enchants called? What stat difference does it make? im considering it

Master's Inscription of the *. They're northrend abilities.

If you're going a caster, the caster leg chants (Master's/Sanctified spellthread) require an active pandaren tailoring skill of IIRC 25, while the leatherworking ones conveniently don't care about your score.

I suppose if you have a main w/ alchemy that can keep your vet supplied and you dont mind resubbing every time you need a refill and then either having to finesse a GM into transferring that game time to another account or wait the full month before you can play again...

I agree with you that the theoretical advantage of having a main feed you pots while you level up another profession for a few more points sounds like a lot more work than it's worth. But assuming that someone wants to keep an active main and an XP locked twink on an active account, what am I missing that would make this nonviable?

the part where you're not gonna get BG ques on an xp locked toon, though if you're just pve/duel/goldshire preening then this would probably be the ideal set up

I thought you could queue just fine on a locked character, so long as the account had active time.

Which can create headaches if you just log on for the stray month here and there. (Forgetting to unlock before your time runs out can be annoying, and forgetting to lock after your time goes through can obviously be very bad.) But if they want to lock one toon while keeping their sub going, such convolutions should be doable.

I thought you could queue just fine on a locked character, so long as the account had active time.
You can que, but you wont get pops. The whole "xp-on and xp-off" being in separate ques thing. And nobody plays 20s with xp-locked because the whole point of playing at 20 is that you're starter-account level capped and get regular games instead of having coordinate games like other brackets have to.

I'm almost certain you can't self-apply the cata inscription shoulders. If you're entirely F2P, the Northrend ones are your only option.

Having taken a quick look at wowhead to confirm my hunch, though, the argument to take inscription and funnel alchemy supplies from your main just took a bigger hit. The greater shoulder enchants from Sons of Hodir are BoA and don't have any level requirement. If you're going to channel resources from your main, that's an easy one to do and then not think about it again.

But I'm not entirely F2P, as stated above and in your own advice to funnel from a main.
I've also already done the cata ones on another twink, so I'm unsure where you're assuming there's a roadblock to self-applyin. F2P have a hell of a time even getting to Cata areas, so almost anything cata requires vet or paid.

Appreciate the Hodir suggestion tho, I'll check them now

Necroing this bad boy. Sorry guys.

Cata inscription, from a vet perspective:
  • can I apply them to my own shoulders at 20?
  • Does cata shoulder enchante require you to keep the prof?

Users who are viewing this thread