Best gear for twinks in pvp?

so I've been told some conflicting information regarding the best gear for twinks now, and just wanted it cleared up.

some are saying old MoP gear and such is best, but others are saying to get current content gear (T10 for 80s, DS gear for 85s) etc because of all the socket bonuses and being able to gem full str/int/agi

any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Best gear for twinks?

also, if the gem gear is best, is it better to gem primaries or secondaries?

I know the +28 crit to pant enchant @ 80 gives me like 1.8% crit, so using +10 crit gems I could get up to like 35% crit on my warrior

Re: Best gear for twinks?

Use wowhead and figure it out.

Well for my warlock the Best in slot gear for me is not MOP gear or DS gear its Cataclysmic pvp gear and even if cataclysmic had no gems the stats are still superior to MOP gear.

and Legendary staff is BIS compared to MOP staff with proper gemming.

//Goldenberg

I don't see any current, relevant information about gearing for 80-89 PvP anywhere in this bracket forum. So the OP's question stands. I, too, would like some enlightenment on the current thought of PvP gearing for this bracket at different levels, the current scaling of gear and health-per-stam, and the reasoning behind choices made.

After my WoWhead research to retool my 80, I'm pretty happy with my resto set other than needing to replace my gloves and wrists with mail variants (I'm going to go with the PvP gloves for the extra 5 yards range with shocks and shears) for the all-mail 5% int bonus.

Things to note: Blizzard claims that PvE set bonuses will not work in PvP. I don't know if that's an endgame thing, but my ICC 2pc bonus works fine in skirmishes, which is why I'm using that gear.

Also, remember that cata gems (and newer) have item level requirements. Older gear has more sockets, but depending on what stat you want, it may not provide what you're looking for. Mastery remains my top stat for my resto shaman, but since mastery (and associated gems) didn't appear until cata, getting MoP gear with mastery appeals more than wrath gear with sockets.

Related to that, mana regen remains through the roof for my 80, so spirit is absolutely useless. I "stepped down" to an ilevel 300 feverflare ring to get mastery and haste, because the remaining 308 rings (after I get Anthia's ring) won't deliver as good of a stat combination for me.

Once scaling comes to skirmishes, I really, really want to know how gear scaling will work. Thanks to the gear squish, there is no stat difference between starter ICC tier gear, midlevel ICC gear, and heroic ICC gear. However, we've noticed in the lower level brackets that lower ilevel gear actually scales *better* than higher ilevel gear. Therefore, it's possible that gear with an item level in low 200s could end up BiS thanks to scaling for 80s. We need either some battleground pops, or info from someone who queued an XP-on battleground and can deliver some info.

Looking forward to more information all around, for sure.

OPs question is perfectly fine and I too would like to know some of this information as I have an 80 feral druid and warlock that I am unsure whether to leave at 80 or take to 85 for scaling purposes since these two brackets have been combined into the now 80-89 bracket.

I haven't done any detailed testing yet but i'm really liking the PvP gear for level 80. The 4 set bonus is still giving +100 Int / Attack Power, also I highly suggest the Ashen Verdict ring, even for a healer, 285 spellpower on proc is a lot I even think the Ashen Verdict ring could be BiS for 85s.
With my Priests(80) current gear set i'm at around 19% haste, 17% crit and I think 970 spellpower, liking the set up so far but things are bound to change.

EDIT - For 85s, Cataclysmic may be BiS it has average stats and sockets. I saw that Holinka tweeted that PvP Power is still in use but Resilience is not. This could make a difference when PvP vs PvE gear, but I have no numbers for how PvP power is scaling so it's just a guess. I'd imagine what you'd use would vary on Class and what 2/4 Set bonus' are available to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
80 is so broken and I'm not even going to try, for PvP T6 seems like a solid choice, far above some 277 items.

But yeah, whatever, fuck 80, fuck my priest, game sucks, but sockets and item set bonuses seem most important now.

80 and 85 are both in a pretty bad shape indeed. It hurts to see my DK and pal who could solo ICC wipe on trash mobs inn heroics... My 85 dk is already on its way to 90.

On topic: ICC 10 man gear is pretty good. As said earlier, you just need sockets, socket bonus and set bonusus.

Users who are viewing this thread