EU+US Best 20 PvE & PvP tanking class?

icehawk

The Beast Within
I'm just asking some opinions from the 20 - 29 community. What do you think is the overall best tanking class for 20's? I'm looking for an all-rounder PvE and PvP tank class.

I've only ever twinked a 20 Prot Warrior. Prot Warrior's are fairly decent in PvP with a stun, charge and slow and ok DPS but for solo PvE it just lacks the ability to take down some of the tougher bosses. No self heals other than when you take out trash mobs and get the heal ability, but in a 1 on 1 boss battle that doesn't help.

I've recently levelled a Prot Pali for the purpose of obtaining some mogs and I found it quite good for PvE. They have 3 x charges of http://www.wowhead.com/spell=53600/shield-of-the-righteous compared to a Prot Warrior's 1 x http://www.wowhead.com/spell=23922/shield-slam. Also their http://www.wowhead.com/spell=31935/avengers-shield hits pretty hard and has good range. Though they lack a slow and gap closer, but do have better ranged abilities.

Anyone tried PvP on a Prot Pali in the 20 - 29 bracket? What about the other tank classes?

I guess what I'm wondering is, what's the consensus on the best all-round (PvE & PvP) 20 tank class and why?
Prot Warrior
Prot Pali
BM Monk or
Guard Druid

I'm considering making another tank class, but will only pursue it if it's likely to be overall better than a Prot Warrior. Anyhow, all helpful comments will be appreciated ;)

Out of all my lvl 20 tanks, I definitely enjoy the Prot Paladins the most; like hands down, no contest.

I love how easily they can round up multiple packs, and even stun and self heal when needed. They also blow up the damage meters as well.

But after all is said and done, I suppose it really comes down to playstyle and preference.

My Pallies should be in their PvE Prot gear if you wanna take a look (links in my sig). But I know that you're already very resourceful in your research. [emoji1]

PS: I like BM Monk 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys. BM Monk seems more melee orientated though the slow is quite helpful while Prot Pali seems to be more effective from range, not necessarily needing to be right up on the target, though I'm guessing in PvP those that can kite you would be a nuisance if out of your range. But on the other hand it has a decent stun and the get out of jail free shield (only every 5 mins but hey).
Not too sure still.
I wonder who would win between a Prot Pali and Brew Monk?
I have a Mist Monk I could dual spec to Brew, so shouldn't be too big an effort to gear, though I did enjoy levelling a Prot Pali (only questing and dungeons but it was fun and one tough customer!).
Cheers for your comments guys :) I'll still have to mull this one over!

My experience about 20 tanks in PvP (from best to worst):

1. Guardian Druid

+ best mobility, highest 1on1 damage (definitely can kill) :)
* good durability, good aoe damage, good offheal
- no CC

2. Protection Paladin

+ highest aoe damage, best offheal, best CC
* good durability (bubble), some ranged attacks
- least 1on1 damage, lack of mobility

3. Protection Warrior

+ good 1on1 damage, best slows, CC talents
* fine mobility (double charge)
- (almost) no healing, average durability, least aoe damage

4. Brewmaster Monk

+ nothing :(
* average mobility, average aoe damage, good slowing
- low healing, least durability, low 1on1 damage

Prot Pala has so low dmg in PvP,
Last time i played prot i coldn't even survive 1v1, i got more chance to survive a 1v1 with holy then with prot.
Any tips & tricks to play / gear prot pala? it wold be nice to play and enjoy prot again :)

The best pve tank used to be warrior because of defensive stance. A flat 20% reduction was huge but now they are tied with other plate wearers. Paladin is my preferred class just because I never know what the healers will look like and it has great aoe pulling potential. Druid/monk won't be as strong as they lack armor plus druid can't parry and don't have enough Dodge at this level to make up for it.

As for PvP I'm not sure. Avergers shield no longer silences which sucks. Prot warrior is fun but don't expect to kill anything.

Prot Pala has so low dmg in PvP,
Last time i played prot i coldn't even survive 1v1, i got more chance to survive a 1v1 with holy then with prot.
Any tips & tricks to play / gear prot pala? it wold be nice to play and enjoy prot again :)
Interestingly a little while ago I did a heap of duels on my Prot Warrior vs a Holy Pali and struggled against him. I could pound him down but the bubble save or the stun followed by heals would just be too much and he'd wear me down in between. I was only able to win maybe 3 out of about 20 duels vs Holy Pali.
I've never duelled any of the other tanking classes on my Prot Warrior, well not this X-Pac anyhow. I do like the Prot Warrior but the lack of self heals makes it struggle against classes that do have a heal of some form. Also being a solo sort of player I sometimes like to pass time running dungeons while waiting for bg pops. Now, on the Warrior I can do most of the instances but struggle with some of the harder bosses as Prot simply because I lack the heals. Funnily, on my Misty I can solo any boss as she hits like a Mack truck and heals fairly decently. But sucks I can't do that on the Prot Warrior. That's why I'm sort of looking for an all-round sort of tank but seems they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

My experience about 20 tanks in PvP (from best to worst):

1. Guardian Druid

+ best mobility, highest 1on1 damage (definitely can kill) :)
* good durability, good aoe damage, good offheal
- no CC

2. Protection Paladin

+ highest aoe damage, best offheal, best CC
* good durability (bubble), some ranged attacks
- least 1on1 damage, lack of mobility

3. Protection Warrior

+ good 1on1 damage, best slows, CC talents
* fine mobility (double charge)
- (almost) no healing, average durability, least aoe damage

4. Brewmaster Monk

+ nothing :(
* average mobility, average aoe damage, good slowing
- low healing, least durability, low 1on1 damage
Very interesting. Thanks for your thoughts. I will have a squiz at Guardian but the lack of CC could be an issue for me. Also interesting you place BM Monk last. I've never played BM Monk but I did level a Windwalker some time back for mog's and I did feel the heals were very ordinary. If BM is the same then you are probably right with the low healing comment.

Prot warrior is fun but don't expect to kill anything.
Agreed! Prot is fun in bg's but you really need to be with other dps to be effective. It's no good if your a lone ranger style of player like I tend to be. That's why I love the Huntard so much because you can kill things and still survive in solo PvP. Prot Warrior is too reliant on others. I guess I was hoping one of the other tank specs ticks some of that solo PvP play where it is quite effective.

I will need a bit more time to think this over.

For me, it's
1. BM monk
-Stagger mechanic
-Ranged aoe high damage slow that has a 100% uptime on non druids
2. Protection pally
-Bubble
-Heals
3. Protection warr
-stuns and slows
-Very good vs melee
Can't really rank druid since I didn't play enough, but they got the most hp and aoe dot that flushes out rogues

I am quite pleased with Guardian PvP for the durability, mobility, AoE and DoT everything! (plus i play with a Warstomp for CC). The self heal really is not an option except between fights. I would be very surprised to see ANY of these other tanks with consistently higher dmg output. Note: Mangle hits hard, but Guardian is probably NOT the best choice for 1v1.

Honestly you should probably just Ret Pally for the dmg + healz.

Interestingly a little while ago I did a heap of duels on my Prot Warrior vs a Holy Pali and struggled against him. I could pound him down but the bubble save or the stun followed by heals would just be too much and he'd wear me down in between. I was only able to win maybe 3 out of about 20 duels vs Holy Pali.
I've never duelled any of the other tanking classes on my Prot Warrior, well not this X-Pac anyhow. I do like the Prot Warrior but the lack of self heals makes it struggle against classes that do have a heal of some form. Also being a solo sort of player I sometimes like to pass time running dungeons while waiting for bg pops. Now, on the Warrior I can do most of the instances but struggle with some of the harder bosses as Prot simply because I lack the heals. Funnily, on my Misty I can solo any boss as she hits like a Mack truck and heals fairly decently. But sucks I can't do that on the Prot Warrior. That's why I'm sort of looking for an all-round sort of tank but seems they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Using hamer & bubble in a duel? why wold someone do that.
Thats 'unfair' against others, i like to play duels without those cd's cuz its almost always a win when i use one of them :/

Using hamer & bubble in a duel? why wold someone do that.
Thats 'unfair' against others, i like to play duels without those cd's cuz its almost always a win when i use one of them :/
I remember when I first started, my friend laid out the so called 'protocol' for me in regards to duels which I still stick by to this day. I was still new and getting my backside handed to me by my friends, so I started to use engineering gadgets, pot's etc to try get the upper hand and he was like, dude, you don't use those in duels. He told me to treat a duel like arena. If you don't have access to it in arena, then don't use it in a duel!
Not everyone sticks to the 'protocol' though.
Needless to say, I did fare better against the Holy Pali when his shield was on CD ;)

Has anyone played around with different healing chants at 20? For instance http://www.wowhead.com/item=141910/enchant-neck-mark-of-the-ancient-priestess or http://www.wowhead.com/item=52747/enchant-weapon-mending. Or maybe even absorb chants such as http://www.wowhead.com/item=74727/enchant-weapon-colossus. I'm wondering whether anything like that may be enough to give some sort of help for a Warrior tank solo'ing bosses such as http://www.wowhead.com/npc=46254/hogger. Don't get me wrong, I can solo quite a few bosses on the Warrior but there are some that I just can't take down.
I know I'll be losing DPS without http://www.wowhead.com/item=38873/enchant-weapon-crusader, and http://www.wowhead.com/item=38873/enchant-weapon-crusader also has a self heal but I wonder if the others proc more frequently and offer better heals / absorbs?
I may be clutching at straws but after doing a few bg's last night on the Warrior I'm sort of enjoying the PvP part of it so am trying to see if there is a way to better it's solo PvE aspect. If anyone has any thoughts / experiences on this and would like to share it would be great to hear :)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/aerie-peak/largeprint
This should get you close for gear. If there's a plate belt with +dodge now that would be best. I think the bracers are best, I have the lvl 20 green ones too, they might have more armor. High crit chance at flash heal never hurt though. BoA ship ring might be BiS and I still need defending champion.

Last edited:
Imo it is best to swap specs before Qing pvp. Arms warrior, retribution paladin, ww monk. Tanks just aren't strong in legion lowbies. I understand someone may like to tank but if that someone likes to win they would also understand the other more viable specs for pvp.

colossus is the only semi legit enchant. gives around 200 shield rather often.
second would be http://www.wowhead.com/item=46348/formula-enchant-weapon-blood-draining
Mending got slow proc. overall you are better with ele force.
Never thought of Blood Draining, but I don't think I have access to it with my chanter :(

Imo it is best to swap specs before Qing pvp. Arms warrior, retribution paladin, ww monk. Tanks just aren't strong in legion lowbies. I understand someone may like to tank but if that someone likes to win they would also understand the other more viable specs for pvp.
Tanks can still be useful in PvP. I can't speak for the other specs, hence why I've been asking but on the Prot Warrior, the number of times I've been able to turn the tide of a battle because of a well placed http://www.wowhead.com/spell=107570/storm-bolt on the enemy healer, or on some melee ripping into our healer is countless. Plus the double Charge helps keep others at bay. Tanks won't top any dps charts, nor HK's but as a team player they are underrated. I feel they play more of a support role. Also the dps on my Prot isn't that far off my BM Huntard, but on the BM I'm closer to the top of the charts in dps because I get more uptime on my targets, but straight up dps, it's not that big a difference :-
BM Huntard ave iPvP dps 260 - 280
Prot Warrior ave iPvP dps 220 - 240

With regards to the other comments, so far Prot Pali seems to be standing out. If I can't get the PvE solo'ing side sorted on my Warrior with chants, I may find myself leaning towards a Prot Pali. We'll see :)

Users who are viewing this thread