Beginners Guide to PvP!!

Arknoodle

Legend
I didn't want to mess up your thread but would hate to leave all those errors in there, they would besmirch its awesomeness. So here be your guide with them all edited out http://www.twinkinfo.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png :

Hello folks! Sooo most of you probably know me from these forums or from in game so hopefully I don't need to worry to much about introducing myself and can get straight on to the point of this thread! This point being to help players who are genuinely new to PvP or even the game itself learn the basics of PvP so that they can start heading down the path to success! Let me first say that this is strictly the basics! Just enough to separate yourself from the hundreds of noobs out there and give you the potential to really improve your game!

Now on with the show!

Index

1. Keybinds

2. Macros.

3. Situational Awareness.

4. Class Awareness.

5. Addons. (Just a few)

Keybinds

In my personal opinion this is one of the biggest problems I've run into in this bracket, It's full of keyboard turning and backpeddling. So if you are serious about improving your game you will do one of the following.

Bind strafe to the left to your A key and strafe to the right to your D key. You will unbind any keys that turn your character to the left or right.

(Note if you are more comfortable strafing with Q and E feel free to simply unbind A and D and leave your strafe on the default keys.)

You will also unbind your S key.

Now you may be wondering 'how do I turn my camera now?'. The answer is hold down your right mouse button and use your mouse to turn your character. This will greatly improve your turning speed and combined with proper strafing will make you that much more able to adapt in a PvP environment.

Now I realise this may be hard to get used to so I recommend taking the time to level a toon from 1-20 while getting used to your new movement keys, it helps a lot!

So now you're asking 'Well mister arknoodle sir um how do I click my powers if im using my mouse to turn all the time?'

YOU DON'T!

Now you must bind your powers to even more keys! Keys that are easily reachable with your keyboard hand. The benefits of this are huge, the main one being reaction time, once you get used to your binds it is 100x faster to push that button then it is to move your little gauntlet mouse cursor over each ability and click on it.

Since chances are those taking anything away from this guide are new to binding their abilities I've provided a map of the keybindings I use on every character.

Blue are spells and abilities

Red are movement

qwertyjb.jpg

Lasly, MASH your ******* keybinds. You should be charging before your in range, holy shocking before your in range.

MASH THOSE BUTTONS, that split second can be life or death.

Macros

Now to start macros have many many many functions half of which I couldn't list if I wanted too, so instead I'm going to talk about different parameters that can be used inside macros and provide a few examples so that you can develop your own macros based off of what you need most.

(Note: Parameters are placed inside a macro with [ and ])

Firstly one of the greatest functions of macros is the ability to make one keybind into three!

This is done by implementing [mod:shift], [mod:ctrl], or [mod:alt]. this feature can have all sorts of rediculous benefits some of which being, not having to drop your current target to cast a heal on yourself, being able to bind multiple abilities into the same keybind, and the list goes on.

Again since macros is such a huge topic I'm going to try and keep it basic on the use of modifiers, with a little imagination and the use of google you will be able to find anything your looking for because trust me, it's been done.

Example: /cast [mod:shift] Healing Surge; [mod:ctrl] Purge; Flame shock

This macro will cast flame shock on my target, if I hold control and press the macro it will cast purge and if I hold shift it will cast healing surge.

Two more extremely useful macro parameters are Harm and Help. These can be used inside of your brackets to cause a helpful spell to be cast if your target is friendly, or a harmful spell if your target is an enemy.

Example: /cast [harm] Moonfire; [help] Rejuvination

This will cast moonfire if your target is an enemy and rejuv if your target is friendly.

Finally the last thing I will cover in the macro section is targeting. You can add targeting paramaters into your macros in order to make them even more versatile, they look like this [target=player]

Example of it all put together /cast [harm] Purge; [help] Cleanse; [mod:shift, target=player] Cleanse; [mod:ctrl; target=focus] Purge

This macro I used on my 85 shaman, it will cast Purge if my target is an enemy, Cleanse if they are friendly, Cleanse on myself if I hold shift, and purge on my focus target if I hold control.

Situational awareness

Okay so past all the movement and binding and playstyle and all that hoopla it's time to talk about PAYING ATTENTION.

That's right. This is about knowing what is going on around you at all times. No who's on your team where they're at where the EFC is where your FC is where your healers are ETC. This is something you need to keep on top of at all times in a PvP environment. Something to help with this is by holding down shift and pressing the M key, this will bring up a small map of your current zone, and it should be open at all times in a BG.

This is so god damn important it's not even funny. You need to know what you can do best in every situation to improve your teams chances of winning and the only way to do that is to know whats going on

Example: Let's say you're a rogue about to kill the EFC and you start going tunnel vision so you dont see that you've got one or to of your team mates right on your tail. Well now one of the enemy healers shows up and you decide "**** this efc is almost down I got this!" Then said healer and EFC proceed to rape you and your teammates.

If you are aware of what's going on around you then you would know that you need to shadowstep and gouge that healer giving the 2 teammates following you time to open on the EFC and kill him.

I know this sounds like a stupid point to be making but I see it happening all day everyday, people ignoring everything thats going on around them. Don't be afraid to use your camera, holding down the left mouse button instead of the right and looking around to see what's happening.

Secondly under the situational awareness section is doing the right thing when inserting yourself into a situation. Take a minute to say hey, should I just unload on this mother ****er or should I root him to give my FC some distance so he can toss up a heal.

It's little things like that that win games.

This goes for FCing also, I've sometimes spent 2 plus minutes sitting on top of the horde tunnel just watching the play of battle with people screaming at me to go, but sure as ******* rain an opening presents itself that wasn't there before and we are one cap ahead because of it.

THINK BEFORE YOU CHARGE.

Make sure to avoid tunnel vision, always know what's going on around you and what has the potential for entering your imediate combat territory.

Class Awareness

This is the last major section of this guide but it is none the less a very important one.

Learn about all the classes in the game! Go HERE and take the 30 minutes it takes to read about each classes defensive and offensive cooldowns. Knowing what your opponent has up his sleeve can save you time and time again.

Example: Priest getting low on health and it's been over 30 seconds since it was last used, I quickly pop out of melee range while the priest sure as **** used his fear to buy a moment of precious time, now hes dead.

Knowing these kinds of things can save you alot. It doesn't take long to learn about and it can definitely

take you from being good to being "THIS DRUID JUST JUKED MY SCREAM" Trust me it's fun.

Addons

The real last section of this guide is for addons. Theres only 2 addons I'm going to mention because in my honest opinion they are the most beneficial to my gameplay.

Battleground Targets - This is the first one because it goes hand in hand with situational awareness, it helps you keep track of whats going on in your BG even if your not right there looking at it.

AND

OmniCC - This is a very simple addon that merely puts a timer on your spells and abilities with their remaining cooldowns. This is very useful so instead of saying "Eeeehhhhhh my WoG should be up halfway through this fight" You know for a fact it will be.

Also goes well with button mashing as you dont have to gestimate anything.

And this finally concludes my probably much too long guide ._. Hopefully some of you on TI benefit from this and improve you 'game'.

Questions comments concerns feel free to PM me or post here.

P.S if you want or need help making more detailed macros feel free to ask me at any time in game or on the forums!

GL HF!

EDIT: Thanks to the awesomeness and generosity of Kearbear all spelling errors have been fixed http://www.twinkinfo.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as addons go...

I highly suggest using something that makes you very aware of your CD's. I use GXCooldowns (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info17475-gxCooldowns.html) with OmniCC (as linked earlier) and love it.

Being aware of enemy CD's is also critical for gameplay. Tidyplates Threatplates (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/tidy-plates-threat-plates) in combination with Icicle (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info19148-Icicle.html) makes juking interrupts and landing kills much easier.

As far as binds go...

I loved using my mouse scroll wheel for positional dependent binds at end-game (grenades, Pet Nova, Treants, etc). It's a little unconventional, but with F2P we have so few binds, I put almost everything to Scroll Wheel Up/Down with modifiers (Shft, Alt, Ctrl). The default camera zoom bind is useless, as 99% of the time you'll have the camera at max distance anyways.

Nicks detailed guide to spelling "guide".

First you want to start with the keyboard position of

asdf jkl;

Step 1: Reach your right index finger to the first to the left of it "G"

Step 2: Position your fingers back into the asdf jkl; formation than reach your right index finger up one key to the "u"

Step 3: Go back to stand formation "asdf jkl;" than reach your right middle finger up a letter and press the "I" key!

*ONLY TWO MORE STEPS TO SPELL GUIDE!*

Step 4: Stand formation once more. (THIS IS THE EASIEST LETTER TO TYPE) The goal of this step is to type the letter "D", now in standard formation your left middle finger already rests on the letter D. So all you have to do is push the "D" key once and you're done!

Step 5: Since you are already in standard formation from doing step 4 all you have to do now is lift your middle finger up one key and push down on the "E" key!

Congratulations fellow tinker you have successfully spelled the word "guide"

Only works on a standard qwerty keyboard

Visuals:

qwerty.gif

would it be terrible of me to point out the spelling/grammar issues in this otherwise excellent guide >_>

It doesn't bother me I know there's mistakes in there
<

As far as addons go...

I highly suggest using something that makes you very aware of your CD's. I use GXCooldowns (http://www.wowinterf...xCooldowns.html) with OmniCC (as linked earlier) and love it.

Being aware of enemy CD's is also critical for gameplay. Tidyplates Threatplates (http://www.curse.com...s-threat-plates) in combination with Icicle (http://www.wowinterf...148-Icicle.html) makes juking interrupts and landing kills much easier.

As far as binds go...

I loved using my mouse scroll wheel for positional dependent binds at end-game (grenades, Pet Nova, Treants, etc). It's a little unconventional, but with F2P we have so few binds, I put almost everything to Scroll Wheel Up/Down with modifiers (Shft, Alt, Ctrl). The default camera zoom bind is useless, as 99% of the time you'll have the camera at max distance anyways.

While this is useful info keep in mind this is a begginers guide, which is why I choose not to go into much detail about juking or point out that you can infact use the mouse scroll wheel for aditional keyspace since most people will just be getting used to using hte mouse to turn with I didn't want to overwhelm them.

And @nick Oh wow I can't belive I failed that hard...I mean just...wow it hurts that i cant fix it...thanks for being so wonderful in your pointing it out to me ._.

And @nick Oh wow I can't belive I failed that hard...I mean just...wow it hurts that i cant fix it...thanks for being so wonderful in your pointing it out to me ._.

Wasnt aimed at you.

Just thought this would be a good place for my guide (Just perfectly executed it right now.) to go.

<

Well step five confused me all I did was lift up off the D key I misread the part about coming down on the E key :\

Anyway hope my horribly spelled guid helps someone out there

/cry

As far as addons go...

I highly suggest using something that makes you very aware of your CD's. I use GXCooldowns (http://www.wowinterf...xCooldowns.html) with OmniCC (as linked earlier) and love it.

Being aware of enemy CD's is also critical for gameplay. Tidyplates Threatplates (http://www.curse.com...s-threat-plates) in combination with Icicle (http://www.wowinterf...148-Icicle.html) makes juking interrupts and landing kills much easier.

As far as binds go...

As far as what golden said about mousewheel I love mouse binds. Middle Mouse trinket ftw. But i pretty much bind all of my moves to ctrl, shft, alt, mousewheel up/down or middle mouse. that covers a significant portion of your binds at 20. personally i found when first starting to bind that those came the easiest to me.

you could use a little section on focus, what to do with it, and when its a good idea to...

i like the 0 numberpad key...nice and big and fat even though it requires to take your hand off the mouse.

As far as what golden said about mousewheel I love mouse binds. Middle Mouse trinket ftw. But i pretty much bind all of my moves to ctrl, shft, alt, mousewheel up/down or middle mouse. that covers a significant portion of your binds at 20. personally i found when first starting to bind that those came the easiest to me.

i've yet to find a wireless mouse with a reliable mousewheel button. :/

i've yet to find a wireless mouse with a reliable mousewheel button. :/

I've yet to find a reliable wireless mouse
<

This goes for FCing also, I've sometimes spent 2 plus minutes sitting on top of the horde tunnel just watching the play of battle with people screaming at me to go, but sure as ******* rain an opening presents itself that wasn't there before and we are one cap ahead because of it.

Amen to this ^^^ people need to learn that their fc does strange things sometimes because flag carrying isn't a race across the field, it's about using your brain and getting across the field alive and at the right time.

Love the start to the guide, and something like this should constantly be updated to keep people coming back to it not only making sure they accomplish these basics but allowing people to add their own techniques for the ones who need them. So i would suggest a pin is needed

I will add my donation:

Capping Addon

^^ Is a must, doesn't matter who you are if you Pvp get this addon asap. Probably the most important addon that the game allows

When you say Shadowstep + Gouge, surely you mean Shadowstep + Sap?

Unless you're saying you should get IN FRONT of a healer and alert him to the fact that you're there, as well as break stealth.

The only reason I'd throw out a gouge would be if it was a Shade Priest who was already in Combat. If they're healing, they aren't classified as "In Combat" and can be sapped.

When you say Shadowstep + Gouge, surely you mean Shadowstep + Sap?

Unless you're saying you should get IN FRONT of a healer and alert him to the fact that you're there, as well as break stealth.

The only reason I'd throw out a gouge would be if it was a Shade Priest who was already in Combat. If they're healing, they aren't classified as "In Combat" and can be sapped.

EDIT i wasnt very clear in saying 'about to kill' means your in combat with him at about half health or so.

As far as everything everyone has added thanks very much I'm hoping very much that more and more people will get good advice here
<

As for fucos macros, Yes it can be usefull but if your still getting off keyboard turning it can be a bit much.

This is just a bigginers guid people because of the responce im already working on a new moderate pvp guid that will include focusing and macros to take advantage of that also varios los technequs and a light touching on arena
<

If you would like to see anything in the next guid please PM me!

Users who are viewing this thread