BC Mining nerfed?

Arlaren

Veteran
So I'm trying to level a jewelcrafter on a new realm to make sunwell +6 STR gems, and since the AH was empty of green gems for leveling BC jewelcrafting, I thought I'd do it the old fashioned way with prospecting.

After spending about an hour flying around mining, I noticed that every single vein, normal or rich, only gave 1 ore max.

Is this new? Is there a better way to farm ore/level JC? At this rate it would take far too long to farm up the required gems to get to 75, getting 1-2 gems per 5 nodes.

EDIT: Might have solved my own problem, will have to check when I get home. Hadn't occurred to me that mining might still needed to be leveled up, as I could mine from level 1 and there were no chat skillup messages. Haven't had a gathering profession in years.

Last edited:
as I could mine from level 1 and there were no chat skillup messages.

Did you train BC mining? I think the nodes remain gray until you train the expansion they fall under? It's weird.

edit- like you can skip an expansion... train right to BC ores at level 1 mining. Each xpac levels separately.

Check thrallmar or the alliance starting hub in hellfire for the trainer... if im wrong, sorry.

6str gems aren't good. You want the 5str_4crit gems from heroic dungeons.

The Alliance honor vendor is Stormwind sells 5 agi 5 crit gems for 1 mark of honor each.. probably also 5 str 5 crit.. but im not sure.. but yeah.. they are BiS gems for my hunters timewalking set. GL

Just like @Warglave said, you need to train Outland Mining to get more out of a node. Until you do, you'd only ever get one ore out of each node. The same applies to Northrend, Cata, etc mining.

And just as @Fx said, 6 str gems should only be used as a stopgap until you farm the 5 str/4 crit gems from Heroic Mana Tombs and Shadow Labyrinth. You can also get a few 5 str/6 stam gems from Heroic Shattered Halls, and can slot one Nightmare Tear (6 all stats) in your gear.

Just like @Warglave said, you need to train Outland Mining to get more out of a node. Until you do, you'd only ever get one ore out of each node. The same applies to Northrend, Cata, etc mining.

And just as @Fx said, 6 str gems should only be used as a stopgap until you farm the 5 str/4 crit gems from Heroic Mana Tombs and Shadow Labyrinth. You can also get a few 5 str/6 stam gems from Heroic Shattered Halls, and can slot one Nightmare Tear (6 all stats) in your gear.

So at 79 you can't Q for these heroics anymore, meaning you'd need to get run through them daily to farm the gems? That's unfortunate.

So at 79 you can't Q for these heroics anymore, meaning you'd need to get run through them daily to farm the gems? That's unfortunate.

Correct, you need to run them manually. You can't trade the gems either, so good luck. 2+ months and I still don't have my DK in full str/stam gems.

Yea, and you don't always get a gem to drop every day. There's like 4 or 5 different gems that can drop from the bosses, if they drop one QQ

Some stats for you.

My DK has killed Kargath 41 times, meaning he's killed 123 heroic SH bosses. I have 12 str/stam gems to show for it.

My paladin cleared mana tombs and shadow labyrinth 33 times each to get 18 str/crit gems. So 18 gems from 33x7=231 heroic boss kills.

Some stats for you.

My DK has killed Kargath 41 times, meaning he's killed 123 heroic SH bosses. I have 12 str/stam gems to show for it.

My paladin cleared mana tombs and shadow labyrinth 33 times each to get 18 str/crit gems. So 18 gems from 33x7=231 heroic boss kills.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the grind for gear, I don't even want to think about gems. Ran dungeon finder shattered halls 36 times for my tier gloves to drop, and slave pens I want to say 20+. Gearing 79s is enough of a bitch. I wanted to roll a class that could tank next time so at least I didnt have to deal with the 20+ min dungeon finder Qs as a healer.

Wanted to roll ele/resto on my shaman to swap around, but fuck grinding ANOTHER set of gear to regem.

Users who are viewing this thread