battleground rating

snug

aka Cropdusterx
would it be possible to incorporate in this new site rating for bgs? similar to the arena ladders.

People have websites that track stats in wsg, caps, returns, kills etc could turn that into some kind of rating, and not just base it off wins?

We've looked into this and any rating would have to be custom, uploading stats from games would be possible and we hope to do that at some point, bringing in stats from war games would require addons for spectators and the website. However blizzards mmr system is a modified elo rating system, not sure how it is modified but it may be possible to figure it out or get close.

Nah, bad idea. Unless you could find a way to track /afk's it's an irrelevant number.
I mean if it's only based off of wins yeah but if wins is 1/10 things incorporated in the actual rating it would be minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

We've looked into this and any rating would have to be custom, uploading stats from games would be possible and we hope to do that at some point, bringing in stats from war games would require addons for spectators and the website. However blizzards mmr system is a modified elo rating system, not sure how it is modified but it may be possible to figure it out or get close.

Does Blizzard actually use MMR for non-ranked queues (especially at low level brackets) ?

I've always thought it was population limited, rather than MMR based.

Does Blizzard actually use MMR for non-ranked queues (especially at low level brackets) ?

I've always thought it was population limited, rather than MMR based.
Yes you actually have a skirmish mmr. The only difference between the rated and skirmish system is that the skirmish system only uses the mmr to determine how many points you gain or lose for winning/losing against another team, and not to match you against teams of similar mmr.
In other words the skirmish queue prioritizes more games over better games.

Yes you actually have a skirmish mmr. The only difference between the rated and skirmish system is that the skirmish system only uses the mmr to determine how many points you gain or lose for winning/losing against another team, and not to match you against teams of similar mmr.
In other words the skirmish queue prioritizes more games over better games.

What? I mean, I understand what you are saying, but that makes literally no sense.

Match Making Rating that isn't used to match games is just an invisible ELO rating.

At that point, I do not see how this MMR is possible to detect (since there are no trends with which to analyze MMRs), or why it is even tracked in the first place.

How do we know this to be true?

What? I mean, I understand what you are saying, but that makes literally no sense.

Match Making Rating that isn't used to match games is just an invisible ELO rating.

At that point, I do not see how this MMR is possible to detect (since there are no trends with which to analyze MMRs), or why it is even tracked in the first place.

There is a hidden api available threw blizzard for arenas, we use that for the ladder. It's not available for BG pugs tho.

We know there's an mmr seperate to your actual rating simply by playing a lot of games and observing. If your points gained/lost depended purely on your rating (and no mmr existed) the points gained and lost would be very predictable. However, we see examples of the opposite all the time.
For example, say I'm queuing with my partner who has slightly more rating than myself. We face a team that is lower rated than both of us and win, but my partner gains more points than me. Now we can conclude that there must be a separate thing to your rating that determines how many points you gain or lose.

Real rating works like this: when you queue up it will search for teams close to your mmr, if there are none it slowly expands the mmr range over time. If you sit a 20 minute queue you start facing teams either a lot higher or a lot lower than your own mmr.
My guess is that blizzard just copypasted the code from the real rating system but either completely removed the the matchmaking or changed it so it expands your mmr range a lot faster.

Last edited:
would it be possible to incorporate in this new site rating for bgs? similar to the arena ladders.

No. Blizzard does not do rating for normal/random battlegrounds, like it does for skirmish arenas.

Twinkstats.com keeps track of battleground statistics if that interests you.

We know there's an mmr seperate to your actual rating simply by playing a lot of games and observing. If your points gained/lost depended purely on your rating (and no mmr existed) the points gained and lost would be very predictable. However, we see examples of the opposite all the time.
For example, say I'm queuing with my partner who has slightly more rating than myself. We face a team that is lower rated than both of us and win, but my partner gains more points than me. Now we can conclude that there must be a separate thing to your rating that determines how many points you gain or lose.

Real rating works like this: when you queue up it will search for teams close to your mmr, if there are none it slowly expands the mmr range over time. If you sit a 20 minute queue you start facing teams either a lot higher or a lot higher than your own mmr.
My guess is that blizzard just copypasted the code from the real rating system but either completely removed the the matchmaking or changed it so it expands your mmr range a lot faster.
Was gonna say lol no until yhe last paragraph. Ye I agree, cuz if you look at the ratings, people are like 40-10 with higher rating than 42-8 etc, just based off of that it's likely you are right. Was thinking thisbmyself ehen looking at the rating, just considered that maybe 1 guy won 40 in a row then lost 10, other won 5, lost 1, won 5, lost 1. Etc. This is just an example, but if you look on the ladder you will see what I mean.

Real rating works like this: when you queue up it will search for teams close to your mmr, if there are none it slowly expands the mmr range over time. If you sit a 20 minute queue you start facing teams either a lot higher or a lot higher than your own mmr.

Okay, that makes sense.

The acceleration of ratings (the K value) must be being tracked in addition to a hidden ELO.

Kind of pointless, to be honest, if they do not match based on MMR.

It's so obvious that people don't understand how the ladder works at all. It's not some arbitrary equasion to calculate someone's rating, it's an actual ranking system -made by Blizzard-

So no, there -cannot- be battleground ratings, because Blizzard doesn't track it.

It's so obvious that people don't understand how the ladder works at all. It's not some arbitrary equasion to calculate someone's rating, it's an actual ranking system -made by Blizzard-

So no, there -cannot- be battleground ratings, because Blizzard doesn't track it.

But of course, ELO equations are common access online and therefore do not require Blizzard to be implemented as a ranking system.

As Conq said, such a system would be custom. But it would probably be fairer than Blizzard's current system of non-ranked MMR - namely, because Blizzard has never mentioned that such a system exists, leading me to believe that maintenance and bug fixes are not their highest priority.

But of course, ELO equations are common access online and therefore do not require Blizzard to be implemented as a ranking system.

As Conq said, such a system would be custom. But it would probably be fairer than Blizzard's current system of non-ranked MMR - namely, because Blizzard has never mentioned that such a system exists, leading me to believe that maintenance and bug fixes are not their highest priority.

Does the current system keep track of what level the wins are acquired? Like whats to stop someone from leveling through skirmishes and locking xp at 29 without entering a single xp-off skirmish.

because Blizzard has never mentioned that such a system exists
I've posted this many times before on Twinkinfo, but because people still don't seem to get it:

https://twitter.com/holinka/status/499985036074971136

Now please stop posting uninformed bullshit.

Does the current system keep track of what level the wins are acquired? Like whats to stop someone from leveling through skirmishes and locking xp at 29 without entering a single xp-off skirmish.

Ratings reset when you level up, just like they have for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread