EU+US Basic Rogue Guide.

Ðoom

CBA life
Hey, i'm Doom, mfdoom or mfroooom or whatever you'd like to call me, i've played rogue since late beta and i've been tampering around with twinking since Vanilla, started playing F2P
bracket in 2010. I love twinking it's the only thing that I genuinely like in wow atm.. So i figured i'd give a basic Rogue guide for those interested in testing the class out.

1 Spec:

There's basically only two specs worth mentioning when playing rogue and that's Combat and Assassination.

The absolute best spec for us in 20-29 is Combat because of our increased Attack power not to mention revealing strike which makes our finisher do 35% more dmg also blade flurry which has it uses.

Assassination is definitely second best but honestly not worth picking up unless you're level 29 and then haste stacking would be your best point of attack.

Subtlety, NO Don't... if you don't believe me try it and see for yourself you're basically useless.

2 Race:

There's many different types of races to pick from and there's alot of races which are viable, I won't tell you what race to play since it's alot about prefrence here, i'll simply give you the stats and you can pick for yourself.

In order of viability imo.

Alliance:

Night Elf - "Vanish racial really good for those fast re-stealths combined with a Ambush" Has highest base Agility out of any other race at 24.
Worgen/Gnome - "40% Speed Boost for Worgen and remove snare effect for Gnomes" Has second highest Agility out of any races on Alliance side at 22.
Human - "PVP-Trinket racial also bonus 7+ Versatility" Third best base agility on alliance with 20.
Dwarf - "Cloak of shadows that also removes bleed racial very good for re-stealths also reduces dmg taken with 10%" Lowest Agility on Alliance at 16.
Panda - Panda - NO.

Horde:

Blood elf - "AOE Silence racial which also gives you engery (Very good for fast burst combos and also obviously silencing healers.) Base agility at 22.
Goblin - "Basically a Blink racial" the rocket isn't really worth mentioning but probably deals a fair ammount of burst." Base agility at 22.
Undead - "Touch of the grave, with my full Glass set it did around 450-500 dmg and also heals the same ammount, Will of the forsaken good if you're not playing with a pvp trinket to get out of fears and charms" Base agility at 18
Orc - I've yet to play a orc on my rogue but i know "Blood Fury" gives a hefty AP boost by 22 scaled, Also passive reduced stun effect by 20%" Base agility at 17.
Troll - "Reduced movement impairing effects by 20%. 15% increase haste buff." Base agility at 22.
Panda - Panda - Still NO..

3 Gear:

There's many different types of gear sets that all differ depending on playstyle.

1* In my opinion the strongest set for playing Rogue effectively is Glass Cannon, this set is based upon having as much Agility as possible and the focus is put on finishing healers and killing FC's.
This gear set isn't the easiest to play since you'll lack HP and in my case a PVP-trinket, there are many other good rogues who play differently and i'll link armories down below.

Basic information for making a Glass Cannon Rogue.

Head - Heirloom head, scales 1+ agility than eyepatch.
Neck - WSG necklace with versatility.
Shoulders - Cloaked Shoulderpads of Agility with 3+ stamina (Make sure you apply the enchant before you equip the shoulders).
Back - Glowing Lizardscale Cloak / Parachute Cloak (Has the same Agi scaled, Lizard cloak gives 3+ stamina and parachute provides a Slowfall which could help in AB) Versatility.
Chest - Gloomshroud armor (If you're cheap get Armor of the fang from WC same Agi as Gloom without the crit.) with Peerless stats.
Bracers - Start out Goblin for Thrall's Gift Highest agility for leather wearers only possible to get as goblin, enchant Greater Assault (if you hate short things for some reason
Roll with Bands of Serra'kis but honestly do yourself a favor and get Thrall's gift and then re-roll a different race if you don't like Goblin).

Weapons - Probably the most important thing for Rogues to get right i'll give you top 3 weapon combinations and you'll pick where your price limit is.

Bis - (MH)Shadowfang (OH)Goblin Screwdriver with Elemental force.
2nd - Double Shadowfang with Elemental force.
3d - (MH)Shadowfang (OH)Thief's Blade with Elemental force.

Why GS is BiS? it's because of Poison applications which will apply more overtime DMG rather than double Shadowfang

Thanks to "Math breakdown of Rogue weapons thread from old TI" which did all the math for me.

Trinket1 - Defending Champion / AGM
Trinket2 - Touch of the Void / PVP-trinket / AGM

The second trinket you can switch out depending on how you feel I roll full glass cannon so the versatility i value over pvp-trinket, also there's 3 stuns in 20-29 bracket and even with trinket you'll often die as glass cannon, getting a AGM will help you in many situations for re-stealths and also for some extra protection, keep in mind that this trinket's effect can be purged by shamans.

Ring1 - Ring of Precision with versatility
Ring2 - Tia's Ring / Cutthroat band with versatility (scales to 7+ agility so +1 over argas).
Feet - Feet of the lynx / Standard Issue prisoner shoes *WITH MINOR SPEED* I can't stress this enough, you won't get the speed boost from any +Agility/Movement speed enchants. you need the 10% movement speed for catching FC's and overall mobility.
Pants - Any "of Agility" pants I use use if you feel more comfortable with some stamina on your pants get "Defias legs" which will sacrifice 2+ agility for 11+ stamina on pants you want Shadowleather leg armor. (If using Heirloom legs get "Primal Leg Reinforcements" From leatherworking).
Belt - Defias Belt (here you can also be cheap and get either "Sea Dog Belt" or "Fitzsimmons' Belt" These scales the same as Defias belt in Agility but lacks the 7+ stamina which is quite huge.
Gloves - Gloves of the Fang with major agility.

Other armories with different sets for a different playstyle.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/drenden/Original/advanced
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bleeding-hollow/Sfang/advanced
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Sapah/advanced
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Recluse/advanced

4 Macro's:

There aren't that many macros that really makes a huge difference in 20-29 bracket, sure you could always make focus-Kick macros etc but honestly there's only 4 macros I really can't live without.

Sap macro - Saps the closest target to you, incredibly strong when looking for other stealthers, make it a habit to spam in stealth.

#showtooltip Sap
/cleartarget
/targetenemyplayer
/cast [stance:1/3, harm, nodead] Sap

Stealth macro - Makes your stealth spammable so you won't accidently leave stealth because of spamming, really good for those clutch re-stealths.

#showtooltip stealth
/cast [nomodifier] !Stealth
/cancelaura [modifier] Stealth

Stopwatch macro - This is quite the viable one if used correctly, it's a macro which sets a timer for 2 minutes on the stopwatch which is the respawn of Zerker Buff in WSG, simply press the macro when you take Zerking and you'll be notified by a ping sound when the buff will spawn again.

/sw 120
/sw play

Focus Kick modifier - 2 in 1 macro it'll kick your target but if you hold down shift it'll kick the focus target without having to switch target.

#showtooltip Kick
/cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] Kick
/cast [nomodifier:shift] Kick]

5 basic gameplay, tricks and tips:

The Rogue class is a class which with good gear will be able to do 20-60% of a targets total HP with Ambush depending on crits and what class you're facing the basics of the rogue in 20-29 is to always be in stealth if you're caught outside of stealth you'll most likely die.

With this incredible power we get from Ambush it's really important to target the correct people *Always target the healers* if you see a opportunity to finish of a DPS that has over extended that is not a bad thing to do but in general always focus the healers.
(Tip: A thing I always do is that I wait for a healer to start casting, I then proceed to Ambush and instantly kick the heal out of stealth this way the healer will most likely die if you have help and if not a dps might die because of the lockout)

Also when playing WSG always and I mean *ALWAYS* go for the EFC when they pick flag make sure to communicate with your team and update them with location of the EFC, i.e

"He's ramp" - When efc is ramp.
"He's tot" - When efc is ontop of tunnel.
"He's GY" - When efc is going Graveyard.

Lets not forget Sap, use it all the time try getting saps on healers in start to render them useless for 7 sec or a DPS to reduce the enemy teams overall DMG not to mention saping a FC can make it easier for your team to gather for a kill.

(Tip: There are some nifty tricks you can do with sap, first in WSG if someone picks flag and you notice they're not the FC they'll most likely try to drop it to the FC this is where sap will come in handy, Stealth up to the targets and wait untill you feel that the player will drop the flag this is when you sap the Main FC that wants to pick flag and return the flag very annoying and very good.)

(Tip2: Second trick you should use is in AB to ninja cap nodes, it's quite simple just walk up to flag in stealth sap the defender and start capping immediatly if you did it correctly your sap will run out 0.2 seconds after you've capped the node and if you spam the stealth macro while capping you'll be able to re-stealth before they have time to attack)

Evasion, ahh the love of your life as a rogue it'll increase your dodge chance with 100% and make you basically un-killable vs any melee (Hunters, Warriors, Paladins, Druids, Rogues and Scumans) use correctly and don't ever waste it on spell-casters.
(Tip: Make sure that you always face the target when you've popped evasion, try learning this since from behind evasion is render'd useless, this is also a good tip for fighting other rogues since many don't know this.)

Blade flurry, this ability is quite hard to use in 20-29 correctly and will make you look like a utter fool if you use it without proper knowledge of how it works.

What it does is that it makes your auto attacks and spells hit up to 4 additional targets surrounding your main target but this comes at the cost of 30% reduced energy regen... I can't tell you how many times i've seen rogues use this as a buff in BG's and it makes me cry.

How to use this ability properly is when defending a node in AB which will interrupt everyone trying to cap the base.

Also a general tip not only for rogues but every player is to bind your "interact with target" to scroll down or up / both, this way when a flag is dropped you can scroll over the flag and you'll pick it up or return it faster than a person who doesn't have it bound.

(Credit to Mocha on twinkinfo/xpoff or whatever for making this known in his very good guide.)

Something which is quite nice to learn when you're meeting more experienced FC's in WSG is the Jumps/Glitches/DEVM which will enable you to return many more flags ofc it's mostly frowned upon in this community, but learning the basics isn't to hard and anyone can do it.

This is obviously the most basic of rogue guides learning this won't make you the best in the bracket but it's a start.

Thanks for reading, if there's anything you notice that is incorrect or want me to change hit me up in the replies.

tl;dr be good.

Last edited:
Great guide mfoom!

nNthiEJ.gif

If you got a chance I would recommend adding sub section titles so people know where to look if they want to find something specific, other than that, great job! :)

u kinda need a focus kick macro tho, any decent player will notice ur close to them and targetting them
You're clearly overestimating this bracket also i've never said Focus kick was bad it's just kinda over kill for a "Basic Rogue Guide" But since it's easy done i'll just add my kick macro into the guide.

Let me ask why you're not playing with agm?

It's a free restealth combined with Shadowmeld.
Mostly because i don't wanna give up the versatility, i'd switch out a 1.05/1.35% increased dmg for a bubble that can be purged and has a CD on 15 min.

Last edited:
lWPdJ.png

Are gloves of the fang better than foreman's gloves?

No, unless you're going for max ambush. 9 haste > 1 agi which helps tremendously for poison procs on an efc. Plus the extra haste helps with energy gains which would mean a quicker eviscerate after the opener. I would highly recommend Foreman's Gloves, but to each their own...

No, unless you're going for max ambush. 9 haste > 1 agi which helps tremendously for poison procs on an efc. Plus the extra haste helps with energy gains which would mean a quicker eviscerate after the opener. I would highly recommend Foreman's Gloves, but to each their own...
Ok I'll give em a shot I have a pair from farming the foreman's leggings so why not see how I like em thanks for the reply :)

I thought the smart guys in the old TI thread decided that WsG dagger was 2nd BiS to goblin. Did that change?
I don't think I ever got that far, didn't even know goblin screwdriver existed when I made the chart. Everything is within 1 damage per second of each other, it's that close. Even double SF doesn't do too bad, but that's really all because of the proc. Faster OH gets you back on your MH which does all your damage. If someone has scaled SF proc I'll like a new chart, I think that was all I was waiting on.

Users who are viewing this thread