Are there any good Mages... or Mages in general, on this board?

Zorch

This particular board seems extremely melee-centric, aside from Marks Hunters [obviously] and the odd Warlock here and there.

Matter of fact, I don’t think I’ve read a single topic that mentioned Mages aside from “The worst specs” thread from back whenever where it somehow turned into speculation whether Fire Mage was the worst spec because you can heat a frozen hot pocket, wait for it to cool down, eat it, and then take a dump and still be back at your computer in the time it takes to get a cast off.

I’m just curious how Mages are doing in 20s PvP so far in SL since there’s little to no chatter about them... unless I’ve missed it all — I do see that there are at least a handful of Arcane Mages that shared their Armory for the master Armory list.

*shrugs*

Arcane has the best burst - and really damage overall - in 20s. Frost is missing out on Brain Freeze and Fire is missing out on a lot of its crit boosters. Arcane gets arcane charges and arcane missiles, which are burst enough.

Mages do have a few drawbacks, though. No self healing really hurts when trying to fight more complicated foes and/or in PvP, and not being a hunter is a steep opportunity cost. With teleports coming on line at 21, all we really have to bring are an intellect buff and that isn't something everybody gets excited about. I've been able to take down some big foes so mages aren't too horrible, but that involved a bunch of kiting when someone else wouldn't have to bounce around the area and hope they didn't aggro a second thing.

proven fact, warriors with more int stacked pull the chops charge less.
pika.jpg

Arcane is just 100 years stronger then the other 2 specs, although I can get 1k crits with the cone of cold honour talent buts its cd is 30 seconds. While you are waiting on that 30 seconds arcane has already killed you 2 times over. Arcane does great damage and has good utility in sheep frost nova and slow. Also they can pick up netherwind talent for that 15% crit reduction + talasites makes dealing with hunters easy since most blow both aimed shots right away you can usually altertime it. Did I mention arcane gets alter time? yeah the other 2 specs dont get this until the 50s another amazing move with plenty of ways to utilize it. Arcane honestly is the hunters of casters only really lacking in self healing ( hunters should also have no self heals imo)

Tldr arcane stronk, you can take my word for it I hit arcane missles very hard and at a very high skill level.

Arcane is just 100 years stronger then the other 2 specs, although I can get 1k crits with the cone of cold honour talent buts its cd is 30 seconds. While you are waiting on that 30 seconds arcane has already killed you 2 times over. Arcane does great damage and has good utility in sheep frost nova and slow. Also they can pick up netherwind talent for that 15% crit reduction + talasites makes dealing with hunters easy since most blow both aimed shots right away you can usually altertime it. Did I mention arcane gets alter time? yeah the other 2 specs dont get this until the 50s another amazing move with plenty of ways to utilize it. Arcane honestly is the hunters of casters only really lacking in self healing ( hunters should also have no self heals imo)

Tldr arcane stronk, you can take my word for it I hit arcane missles very hard and at a very high skill level.
Oh, shit — I definitely didn’t realize Arcane gets Alter Time at level 19...

Does that mean, in theory, that if a Hunter just wanted to barrel two Aimed Shots into you back-to-back and you’d casted Alter Time before the first one and somehow didn’t die after the second one, you could negate both?

Or am I having a hurrdurr moment and not understanding the mechanics of how it works?

Oh, shit — I definitely didn’t realize Arcane gets Alter Time at level 19...

Does that mean, in theory, that if a Hunter just wanted to barrel two Aimed Shots into you back-to-back and you’d casted Alter Time before the first one and somehow didn’t die after the second one, you could negate both?

Or am I having a hurrdurr moment and not understanding the mechanics of how it works?
thats pretty much it. Caught me by surprise at the beginning of the xpac. a whole lot of "how the fuck did he do that..." moments.

thats pretty much it. Caught me by surprise at the beginning of the xpac. a whole lot of "how the fuck did he do that..." moments.
I’d imagine so, lol. I wonder how many times this has happened to me over the course of my playing in the heat of battle and I didn’t even know what the fuck happened.

Most hunters only have like 25-30% crit in bgs thats why I take netherwind to survive that first and second aimed shot. My arcane missles crit for 400+ in bgs and I only have an ilvl 31 weapon. I can only imagine what an ilvl 49 gf'd arcane amge is doing right now.

Most hunters only have like 25-30% crit in bgs thats why I take netherwind to survive that first and second aimed shot. My arcane missles crit for 400+ in bgs and I only have an ilvl 31 weapon. I can only imagine what an ilvl 49 gf'd arcane amge is doing right now.
Do the PvP talents not show correctly in Wowhead? I don’t see a Netherwind talent and now that I’m noticing, none of the 8 PvP talents for any specs look correct.

wowhead is currently going through a midlife crisis and has no idea whats going on atm.

Yes, mages are good. Yes, there are a few mages that have brains.

Good piece of advice for arcane: Pick up mass invisibility as an option and look to abuse it. You can use it to prevent casts, such as aimed shot, on not just yourself but teammates as well + it's stealth. Ensure to position as a caster and not as a melee. Arcane blast is also very strong in team fights (and really any scenario you can build in a reasonable time).

For mages. Idd say. Frost is bis in group. (Premade pvp 3-10ppl) other than that. Arcane. 1 shot burst in pvp. Awesome dps pve. And about that 3 button.. no. Its 4 button. But still. Build stacks and make enemy go gy 1 shot = pvp. 5 buttons if facung 1v1 mm. (Poly added to 3 button rotatio and allways blink). Mage is fun.
[doublepost=1611161877,1611155017][/doublepost]
Yes, mages are good. Yes, there are a few mages that have brains.

Good piece of advice for arcane: Pick up mass invisibility as an option and look to abuse it. You can use it to prevent casts, such as aimed shot, on not just yourself but teammates as well + it's stealth. Ensure to position as a caster and not as a melee. Arcane blast is also very strong in team fights (and really any scenario you can build in a reasonable time).
20 sl. No mass invs.

Good piece of advice for arcane: Pick up mass invisibility as an option and look to abuse it. You can use it to prevent casts, such as aimed shot, on not just yourself but teammates as well + it's stealth.

Great advice! A well placed Blink (with Arcane Momentum teknique) and Mass Invis can really screw long casts.

Also, I am pretty sure Mass Invis only breaks on damage taken and offensive actions. Some healers can enjoy some seconds of castings heals while invisible.

Users who are viewing this thread