Are META slots worth it?

Eyevou

Royal Member
I started thinking about the helm slot for a level 20 and began to look into the Meta gem slot. Has anyone done the research on this before?

If not I'd be willing to do my own research but figured it might be worth it to ask.

Note: This is for a Vet account, level 20, active subscription, and Alliance Sub Rogue.

Last edited:
I've started thinking about the helm slot for a level 20 and started to look into the Meta gem slot. Has anyone done the research on this beforehand?

If not I'd be willing to to my own research but figured it might be worth it to ask.

Note: This is got a Vet account, level 20, active sub.

In terms of Meta, the only one that's really worth it is the unscaled one from Blade's Edge/ Ogri'la event, might need help with the event though:
https://www.wowhead.com/item=32640/tense-unstable-diamond

Some neat ones are:
Spell cast speed - https://www.wowhead.com/item=25893/mystical-skyfire-diamond
White melee speed - https://www.wowhead.com/item=32410/thundering-skyfire-diamond
Chance to stun - https://www.wowhead.com/item=25899/brutal-earthstorm-diamond

But in general, it's typically not worth it, because BiS for 20s will be a WoD/Classic warforged helmet with non-meta socket

I would say for a 20 that meta slots are not worth it.

WOD wf helms can proc a socket and only those helms can receive a SL gem.

stacking SL gems is going to outweigh any benefit of a meta gem.

stacking SL gems is going to outweigh any benefit of a meta gem.
Can you actually slot in SL gems as a level 20 without them dropping stats like crazy? The best I've seen are the Northrend epic gems which give +2 [main stat] and +2 stam.

Example: https://www.wowhead.com/item=40130/shifting-dreadstone (gives +2/+2)

I also checked to see if the +Minor Run Speed actually worked for the meta gems but it doesn't appear to be working correctly. Always ran at 100% even with the gem socketed.

@Eyevou

Each SL gem gives you an increasing amount of hp regeneration per 10 seconds (typically around 100hp per gem)
AND 6 speed on top of the minor secondary stats they contain.

their effect is more exponential the more you have and less linear like the epic ones which is why people want the SL gems.

the trouble is getting a socketed item with a high enough ilvl to receive an SL gem. Which is where WOD gear and quest rerolling comes in.

you can still use TBC 3 socket gear for legs for example and take advantage of other types of gems outside of SL, namely BFA speed gems or 2/2 gems.

meta gems that increase speed do not work. Sorry!

the trouble is getting a socketed item with a high enough ilvl to receive an SL gem.

What ilvl do you need to be able to do that? the highest ilvl you can get on gear at 20 is: 87, from what I can tell.

What ilvl do you need to be able to do that? the highest ilvl you can get on gear at 20 is: 87, from what I can tell.

87, so you will either need a Warforged/Socket proc from WoD, a Vanilla Epic item with socket proc, or a Dungeon Quest epic proc

I also checked to see if the +Minor Run Speed actually worked for the meta gems but it doesn't appear to be working correctly. Always ran at 100% even with the gem socketed.

The only one that seems to work is the Fleet Shadowspirit Diamond. Oddly on one of my 35s it gives 5% and on the other it gives 10% ... not sure if it's because they were crafted at different times or what. You'll need to use a speed checking macro to check.

The only one that seems to work is the Fleet Shadowspirit Diamond.
Just dropped 500g to check and it does, indeed, work. It gave me +10% move speed on top of my +speed.

BTW, to get my running speed I use TipTac. It has a built in speed checker for anything you mouse over. :)

Can you guys clarify all the speed increasing enchants you’re using when you equip/ and remove the gems

minor speed to boots
Other speed enchants to boots
Cloak enchant, etc

I have tried many meta gems during SL and none have given me movement speed that stacked on top of the minor speed + gift to cloak.

These gems did* work when I removed the other enchants of course.

but my definition of working is that they need to stack on other available speed enchants

Also dejacharacter stats addon will give your total movement speed in the character stats pane

As far as I know none of the speed meta gems stack with boot speed enchants. I actually don't think any of the percentage based speed enchants stack with each other. So you can have 1 percentage based enchant/gem and the rest has to be +speed tertiary stats. So it probably depends on what lvl you are twinking if it's going to be a big loss to go under ilvl 50 on the boots to get the boot enchant.

I actually found out why one of my characters was only getting 5% from the meta... it's a warrior with the Fast Footwork (5% speed) talent... and I guess that doesn't stack with the meta either.

Good to know about the addons showing speed, I've just been using this macro i found on wowhead to show my speed in chat -
/script base = BASE_MOVEMENT_SPEED
/script cur, run, fly, swim = GetUnitSpeed("player")
/script ChatFrame1:AddMessage(string.format("Your current maximal speeds are: running %g%%, flying %g%%, swimming %g%%.", run/base*100, fly/base*100, swim/base*100))

Can you guys clarify all the speed increasing enchants you’re using when you equip/ and remove the gems

I only have the +speed tertiary stat on my gear (currently at +18%) when I equipped the meta gem. Which increased my speed by 10% (so +28%). The gem also gives +3 mastery, instead of the advertised +4 when i bought it from the AH.

Users who are viewing this thread