US Archaeology AP farm guide and group results

docturphil

Grandfathered
I wasn't kidding when I said there was a lot of AP to be had...

3ZSPTav.jpg

That's 8,655 AP. We had a group of 3 and one guy didn't have a flying mount.

Imagine how much AP you can get with a group of 5, or even 10 or 15.

Seriously you need to join us next time. YOU, yes you... if you're Alliance.

The more we have the more elites will spawn.

So Doc, how do I do this?

Well I'll tell ya.

Legion Archaeology Artifact Farming Guide

I. Preparing for Archaeology
II. Archaeology Basics
III. Group Farming
IV. Archaeology Statistics
V. Zones

1. Azsuna
2. Val'Sharah
3. Highmountain
4. Stormheim
5. Surumar

VI. Final Notes

I. Preparing for Archaeology

Before you begin you'll want to unlock Legion flying if you haven't. Technically you don't need it, but Neltharion's Lair AP farming is better if you don't have flying.

Next you just need to learn Archaeology from an Archaeology trainer. Talk to a capital city guard and you'll be directed to a trainer.

II. Archaeology Basics

So how Archaeology works in Legion is once every two weeks a broken isles zone is chosen. That zone is where all the dig sites will be for the next two weeks. Every zone is farmable for 99 and 101 twinks except for Surumar. If it's Surumar you'll pretty much have to set aside Archaeology AP farming for the next two weeks.

Dig sites will be marked on your map with a silver or gold shovel. There is a mini map option to highlight dig sites. I recommend turning this on so you can see the borders of the dig site.

To farm simply head over to a dig site and use your Survey ability. A scope will appear which will either be red, yellow, or green depending on your proximity to the dig and will point in the direction of the dig. For the color blind, I believe the scope will blink faster the closer you are. If you are standing over the dig a shimmering shovel will appear above your head. If you see this and you use survey you will dig up an artifact.

There will be 3 dig sites up at a time. Each time you complete a dig site another will appear. Dig sites that are silver on the map are regular, and gold dig sites give you increased chance of getting artifact power. So you'll want to prioritize gold dig sites. However, some gold dig sites have 110 elites in them and are not farmable at 99 and possibly not at 101. Unfortunately you may just have to avoid those.

Each dig at a dig site will have a chance to drop artifact power. There are different versions of the items depending on the zone but they all give the same amount of AP. So for example in Highmountain you'll have: http://www.wowhead.com/item=146323/cracked-kobold-skull, http://www.wowhead.com/item=146324/ossified-roc-feather, http://www.wowhead.com/item=146325/worm-eaten-grain-pouch, http://www.wowhead.com/item=146326/scorched-pyrestone, and if you're really lucky http://www.wowhead.com/item=146327/petrified-air-totem.

Also, in addition to each dig having a chance to drop AP, there are mobs that will randomly appear. These mobs have a chance to drop AP as well. Additionally there are special items which drop depending on the zone which summon mobs such as http://www.wowhead.com/item=146328/petrified-wyrmtongue. The mobs summoned by these also have a chance to drop AP.

Lastly, every once in a while you'll notice an extra purple thing that you can click when you dig up an artifact. Clicking on these will summon an elite mob depending on the zone such as http://www.wowhead.com/npc=119880/reanimated-pit-lord. These are guaranteed to drop either 300 AP, 400 AP, or 750 AP and are what makes farming in groups so appealing.

Which brings me to...

III. Group Farming

Farming in groups is pretty simple. What you'll want to do is create a group in the group finder if there isn't already one. I'd search for something like "Archeology" or "AP farm" or "Artifact Power" etc... to see if there is already a group. If not then create your own! Be sure to give it a name that people will be able to easily find. I'd also recommend checking the auto-accept request checkbox.

Once you get a group then just head over to the dig sites and start digging. Save your summoning items such as http://www.wowhead.com/item=146328/petrified-wyrmtongue for when your whole group is able to get together. Each person will have a chance to get AP from looting.

And most importantly make sure when you see the extra purple thingy by your dig call out in party/raid chat so everyone can come over. Once every is there or nearly there click it to summon the elite and BOOM everyone gets 300-750 AP. If you have people without flying in your group I'd recommend politely telling them that you'll wait for a short time for them. Don't expect people to wait for you if you're the one without flying, however.

IV. Archaeology Statistics

So for the past several days I've been gathering data on my archaeology farming. Just so we can put this whole argument to rest about what the best AP farming method, here are my results.

Solo farming:

135 dig sites
14,190 artifact power
105.11 average per dig site

Group farming:
51 dig sites
8,655 artifact power
169.72 average per dig site

Note that for the group farm I was farming solo for about an hour and in a group for about 1.5 hours. The size of the group was 2 and there was a 3rd guy that joined but did not have flying.

V. Zones

1. Azsuna

Azsuna may seem like it sucks for AP farming at first. But it's not once you know which dig sites to avoid and how to handle the one where you actually might have to fight a 110. Three of the possible dig sites have 110s in them. Two of the dig sites are pretty much best left alone. Those are Digsite: The Tidal Marsh to the northwest and Digsite: Temple of a Thousand Lights to the south east. The third dig site with 110s is Digsite: The Ruined Sanctum. This dig site is still farmable. You just have to avoid the 110s when you can and there's one that you just have to kill but it's not too difficult.

The great thing about Azsuna is how the elite mobs work. In Azsuna they aren't actually elites and there are three red wisps that spawn from a mass grave. It looks like this:

wfDlkWD.jpg

Not to be confused with NON-elite mob summoning purple books which just give you more archaeology fragments which look like this:

cp6FgkR.jpg

What's wonderful about the mass grave and what makes Aszuna GREAT for group AP farming is that each of the three wisps is guaranteed to drop artifact power. I've seen them drop 750, 85, and 115 so far. I'm pretty sure they can drop 85, 115, 300, 400, and 750. That means you can get anywhere from 255 to theoretically up to 2,250 from a single mass grave.

2. Val'Sharah

**TODO

3. Highmountain

Highmountain is pretty legit for AP farming. There is one elite dig site which has 110s in it that you'll want to avoid but the rest of them are easy digs.

The elite mob summon for this zone looks like a little purple animal skull.

<screenshot needed>

4. Stormheim

Stormheim is great for AP farming. There is one dig site which has a 110 elite mob. You can either avoid that dig site or just get him to follow you a ways, fly up and go to where the dig is and dig it up. Personally I just avoid the dig site.

There are also two elite dig sites which are easily farmable making Stormheim a better than average zone for AP farming.

The elite mob summon for this zone looks like a pit lord skull.

<screenshot needed>

5. Surumar

Don't even bother. Just wait 2 weeks and farm Neltharion's Lair if you're desperate.

V. Unfarmable Zones

As mentioned before there Surumar is unfarmable. Additionally Aszuna is harder to farm because 3 or more of the dig sites will have 110 mobs. This makes them more difficult to farm at 99 but not impossible. Two dig sites you'll probably just want to avoid entirely and one of them you'll just have to work around the one group of 110s that might get in your way.

V. Final Notes

A few final things.

First, I've been at 800 archaeology for a while. You can dig in the Broken Isles with only 1 skill, but some have theorized that you have a higher chance to get AP if you have higher skill. This is completely unconfirmed, but may be true. At any rate, you'll probably get to 800 skill in 3-4 hours or so so it isn't really a huge deal.

Second, if anyone has screenshots of what the little purple thingys look like that spawn elites please share. I feel like that would be very helpful for this guide.

And of course if anyone has any additional useful information I may have forgotten please post it.

Last edited:
As one of the people in his group I noticed two things. First, it seems your archaeology level correlates to how often you get AP items. He was 800 and was getting AP items more frequently than I was at 400. Second, the AP potential here is massive. As he mentioned, with enough people this could be an easy way to get a level 20+ weapon in a week.

nice find! im on EU but ill ask a few of my mates aswell to check this out, but gettin archeology 800 will be a pain :(

After reading this i went to try it out myself to relax a little after 5 hours of intense dungeon boosting :p

EU, Horde, sorry.

On the first dig, i got a blue token with 400AP, so naturally, i continued and got some more of those green dusts, i think worth 150 each. Great idea,i will try some more later tonight and see how it goes and if successful, also try to extend it to some EU groups.

One question though, I didn't spawn any rare mobs, only those goblin type guys, otherwise the AP was directly from digging. Any further info?
I find this more appealing than farming NL. Chilled, open world, something different.

Alone is not worth it, imo. The whole concept is that everyone is digging at the same time at their own specific 3 dig sites so finding the elite mob happens more often. The 3 dig sites are different for each person, so spawning the elite increases with more people digging. Once someone found one we'd all fly over to the elite archaeology skull and spawn it. Plus, we were saving all the uncommon demon spawn items so once in a while we'd all meet up and unleash about 10 demons at once which also produce a fair amount of AP items.

docturphil stressed the potential of having lots of people doing this. Our group was initially just him and I, and then a 3rd person tagged along and he still got a good amount of AP. We need more people to make this work, solo is not going to be effective.

I killed 7 Elite Mobs and 5 Spawn mobs and not a single one gave ap...

This seems to be my luck with these kinds of things. Someone will post about archaeology AP farming and Ill go off and do it with 600+ arch to no avail.

Each zone is different, did you have Stormheim up as your archaeology zone for the week? For US servers it was Stormheim (the best zone). I just checked this morning and for this week US servers have Azsuna. Azsuna sucks. The elites books give nothing but more artifact nodes and the lesser spirit spawns often give nothing but artifacts.

edit: it seems there are two purple spawns in Azsuna, one is a ghost who walks around looking for and eventually finding a single node, the second is a dirt mound that spawns 3 spirits which can give AP or only fragments.

https://ibb.co/hy5Ybv
hy5Ybv

Last edited:
EU Group up in custom PvP :) I'll also look out for or make one each night this week.

Also, if you're a nøøb like me, you need to watch out for purple sack on the floor to spawn the elite, they don't just pop up.

Last edited:
So it sounds like some clarification needs to be made on a few things.

First of all, you need legion flying for this to work.

Second of all, I've been keeping logs on my AP vs dig sites completed for several days now. I believe I have about 180 or so dig sites logged. I'll have to crunch the numbers when I get home but my average was around 100 AP per dig site while farming solo. When in a small group that jumped to around 160ish. So with that many dig sites and a solo average it's safe to say that this AP farming method is better than Neltharion's lair. Even solo.

Also, time to complete a dig site should be around 3 minutes with maybe 30 seconds at most to get to the next dig site. So let's say 4 mins per dig site, you're looking at ~300 AP in the amount of time it takes for a Neltharion's lair run. And again, that's solo. Get a group of 5 and that number will at least double for sure, maybe triple.

I'm going to be updating my original post with a detailed guide on archaeology AP farming when I get home from work. So keep an eye out for that.

Last edited:
I've got about 4k AP in ~3 hrs of farming digsites by myself.

1 Epic AP - 750
2-3 Blue - 400AP
a handfull of green ones - 115 i think

only found 1 rare mob.

started with 1 skill and now up to 550.

I tried to get a friend to help; to group farm you must all go to your individual digsite. Everything you dig up is your own, unique to you. At some point (for me very very rarely) you can find a purple outlined item, which you click on to spawn a mob. At this point, everyone should communicate the find and maybe by voice or chat call the others to spawn the mob and kill for some AP.

I find this more easy going than NL farming, but at the end of of the day, it really is a grind. My advice would be to stick to the small flat sites and avoid the bigger ones with the rugged terrain.

Yeah would be great to know what zones are a waste of time (besides surumar) for farming. It may depend on specific zones in which AP drops are common.

One of the gold dig sites in Azsuna (south) is infested with max level elites making it a pain to farm for 98-100, and even some 101 twinks.

One of the gold dig sites in Azsuna (south) is infested with max level elites making it a pain to farm for 98-100, and even some 101 twinks.

There's that one and a regular dig site to the far northwest that has big groups of 110s. Those two sites are basically untouchable.

Please don't make me do Archaeology to be efficient :(

Would you rather farm Neltharion's lair?

Users who are viewing this thread