EU+US Arcane mage stats

Veechard

Legend
So recently was discussing my stat setup with a guildy and he like most mages I see, said vers/mastery/ haste is better than pure haste with 2nd most stacked stat mastery. I can see where he is coming from, Arcane power 2 mil crits but at the cost of 1.6-1.7 sec casts? This means only like 6-7 ABs in duration of Arcane power, and less if boss knocks off shield and need to reapply. From my findings like every xpack since mists, pure haste stacking seems the best. My AB is down to 1.2 sec cast which is about 12 or so per Arcane power. I'm getting 1.2 mil criTs with my mastery being 75% roughly, when I need to reapply barrier is quite quick with global being so fast. Same with evocation, 3 sec cast. Any comment on this? Open to discussion

If this is in reference to 101 Twinking, I have found that (for a good number of Specs) that reaching 1.0s GCD is of high priority if that Spec has Casted Abilities or Abilities where Haste reduces the CD of, like Holy Shock for Paladins. This doesn't always equate to 1.0s Casted Abilities but it sure as hell helps loads.

Whether or not you want to be Crit reliant for those sweet 2 mil Crits is up to you. With high enough Gear (as a Clothie that's 840+, since the cap is ~860) you will have high stats all round. What you stack for Gems/Enchants is up to your play style imho.

@Veechard
Your weakest stat by a mile atm is Haste. Simmed your toon for 30sec and 180sec fights. The reason is quite simple, the more you have of a stat the weaker it gets in comparison to the rest.

My mage for example is full mastery and the weakest stat is mastery. ;)

a) To find the perfect setup for your stats you have to sim it for the content you are doing.
b) I will keep on using max mastery for two reasons: 1 - if I do hard content like Pandaria 25 Heroic or Draenor Raids I go oom and the only way to prevent that is by using more mastery. With your haste layout I would run oom way faster. 2 - I love killing 110s and the way to do that is to hit as hard as you can with Aluneth + 2x Instant Arcane Blast + Arcane Barrage and this can be achieved with versatility / mastery.

So find the content you want to optimize your gear for, sim your toon and you are golden.

Haste doesn't DR. If I got 10% haste from a 500 haste item when I had 20%, and I put on the same item at 50%, I'd still get 10%. The stat doesn't DR so I don't see ur point. All casters have like 20% crit roughly. Say a non haste stacking mage does 6 Arcane blasts during Arcane power, 1.2 of those will crit. We're as if I can get off like 12 casts. 2.5 ish will crit. And mind if you yes I only get 1.2 mil crits instead of 2.5, I'm getting 2x more ABs off. And all other variants like if I get 3 Arcane missle stacks I can blow all 3 in less than a second and get back to doing a cast. Does ur sim factor that kind of stuff?

The stat gives you same % but the effectiveness of the % itself diminishes. Going from 10% haste to 20% is a bigger proportional benefit than going from 50% to 60%. For a 2 second cast that would be 1.82=>1.67 vs 1.33=>1.25.

Haste doesn't DR.
Yeah it does. The moment you hit 1.0s GCD Haste has an increasingly smaller effect on that Character. For some Specs that's around 35% Haste, others it's 50%+. While gaining more Haste will continue to reduce the CD of longer Abilities (like Holy Shock on Paladin as example), as well as effecting HoTs/DoTs, it means nothing anymore for Instant Abilities or those with a static CD.

Yes but Arcane blast is 2 second cast so you would have to get 100% haste to start seeing it not be worth It because it's faster than global. I have 85% haste and my cast time is 1.2 seconds like it should be. It makes everything faster and to me that seems the absolute best, faster missles, 2x more Arcane Blasts when Arcane Powering ( also I can spec Overpower for final talent that allows me to spam AB and not go oom instead of the one that reduces cast time by 5% each cast), faster evos to get back to casting sooner, I'll always get the sheep off against other mages 1st. Just seems like stacking haste as long as u dont go past 100% is extremely worth it.

Most Arcane mages I see have 20% crit just like me, but then they sacrifice like 40% of their haste for Vers. I can see where they are coming from but let's play it out. Say they are trying 2 mil crits while I usually get about 1.25 mils. But them having only like 40% haste, are getting like 6 ABs off per AP. 20% crit would give them 1 crit during that time, so 1:2 million crit 5:1.2ish Nons. 8 mil damage. Where as I'm getting off about 11-12 casts 600k non crits 1.2 mil crits. 2: 1.2 mil crits 10: 600ks. That's 8.5 mil almost instead of 8. So with such low crit wouldn't haste be better?

Most Arcane mages I see have 20% crit just like me, but then they sacrifice like 40% of their haste for Vers. I can see where they are coming from but let's play it out. Say they are trying 2 mil crits while I usually get about 1.25 mils. But them having only like 40% haste, are getting like 6 ABs off per AP. 20% crit would give them 1 crit during that time, so 1:2 million crit 5:1.2ish Nons. 8 mil damage. Where as I'm getting off about 11-12 casts 600k non crits 1.2 mil crits. 2: 1.2 mil crits 10: 600ks. That's 8.5 mil almost instead of 8.
Your math is off.

So with such low crit wouldn't haste be better?
It is the opposite, as I told you before, the lower your rating on A, the stronger B, C and D get.

You always have to keep an eye on ALL stats to figure out which benefits you the most. I've already told you what to do so I don't know what else to say. And don't try to compare percentages, compare ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread