Activision Blizzard vs State of California Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragpz

Grandfathered
Idk if you guys already picked this up or not, but it seems like the State of California has been investigating Blizzard for 2 years regarding allegations of sexual harassment and unfair treatment. Will this be the nail in the coffin for Blizzard and WoW? First a FFXIV exodus, horrible 9.1 patch launch, and now a formal state lawsuit? What's next in store for Blizz

Link to Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/op1t7m/activision_blizzard_sued_by_california_over_frat/

Also, the WoW reddit has been blowing up about people canceling their subs and deleting their accounts, so if you care about reddit upvotes and want to quit with style, now's a pretty good time to do so

It is imperative to say that any form of sexual harassment is very bad and support should be given to the victims while the situation is being explained during the litigation process.

Though this makes me wonder if the "old guard" dev team didn't leave Blizzard for creative reasons, but rather to avoid negative repercussions from this.

Also, are there - if any - of them that contributed to the problem somehow? After all, Afrasiabi was part of the team for almost two decades and knew some of the other devs from playing EverQuest before Vanilla, from what I have recently read.

Last edited:
This entire company must be purged.

04c
E662WM8XIAAm3q4

I highly doubt this will kill wow or activisionblizzard ( activision has Holmganged blizzard, for my fellow final fantasy 14 friends)

It will certainly kill what goodwill people had though. I havent given blizzard a single cent in years and am glad i did.

Also the Activision CoD forums have players denying this even happened and its just "women being women" so definitely not a nail in the coffin for acti as a whole while these people still give moni to blizzard

I have seen the gaming industry way back when it was just a niche little bubble that appealed to minorities. I have seen people get looked down upon and bullied for playing video games, getting crucified by the media, their parents and even the common folk.
I have seen small companies rise up to defy expectations, only to burn just a cinder to their misguided devotion. I have seen developers get set free, but return to a bondage even more confusing than the one they left behind. I have seen trends that took the world by storm in a weekend, yet people forget its existence very quickly. I have seen the rise of mobile gaming and their insatiable greed and the hunting of money as a sport. I have seen companies, developers and executives struggle with principles and morals. What they stand for and what they represent, their reputation and the very meaning of existence. But never, in all my natural born days, seen anything quite like this.

I highly doubt this will kill wow or activisionblizzard ( activision has Holmganged blizzard, for my fellow final fantasy 14 friends)

It will certainly kill what goodwill people had though. I havent given blizzard a single cent in years and am glad i did.

Also the Activision CoD forums have players denying this even happened and its just "women being women" so definitely not a nail in the coffin for acti as a whole while these people still give moni to blizzard
An operation of this size, losing a portion of your income base may very well already spell your doom - a (small) number of diehard supporters likely wouldn't change a thing

It's all in how they handle it. If they fire the right people, make the right changes to corporate structure and do right by the victims, they'll be fine. If they fuck about, they could very well end up being *that* gaming company and they might just float along as a diminished shell. Who knows, maybe they crater, get broken up in a buyout deal and Blizzard goes back to their roots as an actual small indie company. Weirder things have happened.

Suits like this rarely end companies though. I'd like to think that this would cause company wide introspection and a return to their original gaming values but Im not naïve enough to ignore how many people have a whole lot of $ invested in Activision/Blizzard continuing to generate profit at the expense of their employees. So... whatever.

Anyway, watch what their employees do. If they strike or ask for players to pause/cancel subscriptions then be a good homie and don't cross the picket line. If your ethics tell you not to play video games made sex pests then, well... got some bad news for you about the whole industry. Make the call and get another hobby.

Not entirely shocking, and it'll be interesting to observe what comes of it.

Personally, I think it will run the usual cycle of people cancelling subs and avoiding the various Actiblizz games, similar to the Blitzchung event. Now what Actiblizz could do different this time and what they could do well going forward would be to make the right amends, can the right people, and use this as a means of growth.

I have seen the gaming industry way back when it was just a niche little bubble that appealed to minorities. I have seen people get looked down upon and bullied for playing video games, getting crucified by the media, their parents and even the common folk.
I have seen small companies rise up to defy expectations, only to burn just a cinder to their misguided devotion. I have seen developers get set free, but return to a bondage even more confusing than the one they left behind. I have seen trends that took the world by storm in a weekend, yet people forget its existence very quickly. I have seen the rise of mobile gaming and their insatiable greed and the hunting of money as a sport. I have seen companies, developers and executives struggle with principles and morals. What they stand for and what they represent, their reputation and the very meaning of existence. But never, in all my natural born days, seen anything quite like this.
Entire planetary systems born and razed in the time that it takes your mortal hearts to beat once.

Blizzard apologized and Activision is denying it. I wonder if J Allen Brack is being yelled at by Activision right now for not asking his overlords about what kind of response to give.

When daddy says it's okay and Mommy doesn't what is a little kid to do?
Answer: Ignore both idiot parents who cant get their shit together and be an independent little tyke.

The changes needed wont come from the consumer base as furture products wont be boycott.
The change will have to come from within. Strikes, rallies, and lawsuits. Time we got ourselves a gaming dev union?

Last edited:
i didn’t want to say anything, but Activision touched my pee pee when i was hoj’d
#metoo
Yeah, I shouldn't have to say anything but...

This is a serious topic and making jokes about sexual harassments is not going to be tolerated.

I firmly believe that no topic is or should be serious enough to not be made fun of. After all, humor is a very good way of dealing with shit.

That being said, the line between humor and trolling is very thin at times and rather easily crossed. In general, good humor is rather witty and not a stupid, regurgitated repost like the one quoted above and would be closer to trolling. That, will not be tolerated.

I firmly believe that no topic is or should be serious enough to not be made fun of. After all, humor is a very good way of dealing with shit.

That being said, the line between humor and trolling is very thin at times and rather easily crossed. In general, good humor is rather witty and not a stupid, regurgitated repost like the one quoted above and would be closer to trolling. That, will not be tolerated.
Yeah, this is the better way to word it. I'm with you on the humor, and have a pretty dark sense of humor. But you know, time and place. Also, well execution and all that jazz.

Unsubscribed. #canceled

Just goes to show that men are swines. Especially gamers
...but we already knew that

Can confirm, am a sweaty gamer swine

That aside, for me, I think I was kinda looking a reason to stop playing WoW for a while and this is probably gonna do it for me. Quite good timing by the lawyers, since Blizz's reputation is probably the lowest it has been for a while. Imagine if 9.1 was actually well-received and brought players back to WoW, would we have had to wait another year, or longer, for this lawsuit to come about?

Unsubscribed. #canceled

Just goes to show that men are swines. Especially gamers
...but we already knew that

thank god I don’t live in the hell on earth that is Sweden look what they turned you into a full fledged feminist

fuck cancel/callout culture and crooked feminist tactics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread