A few links of chain

Biss

Veteran
Does “a few links of chains”work as a ilvl 100 main hand with lily for feral Druid or is ilvl 27 2h staff better ?

Does “a few links of chains”work as a ilvl 100 main hand with lily for feral Druid or is ilvl 27 2h staff better ?

I haven't tested the links of chain personally - but I doubt it uses the physical weapon template. I'm 90% sure that the ilvl 27 staff is better.

I saw someone, can’t remember who, maybe a loc dual wielding these links of chain. It didn’t indicate an ilvl when I checked him in the bg so couldn’t work out why he would use it. Can anyone confirm how these behave in game?

I saw someone, can’t remember who, maybe a loc dual wielding these links of chain. It didn’t indicate an ilvl when I checked him in the bg so couldn’t work out why he would use it. Can anyone confirm how these behave in game?

I do not have them either, but I know a little bit about them. Although the item level is not listed, we know it to be 100 from prior tooltips. People that have been using them in place of the strat lily say that their item level is going up.

As was said, they do not have a weapon class- so I don’t believe you can do abilities with them. They also do not benefit from the wand scaling that has yet to be fixed, so it is only BIS when used in the offhand.

It is only BiS in MH when A) you are not using abilities that require them and B) you cannot equip a wand in its place.

If we really want to be specific, I could test and see if equipping two of these increases my health at all, as this would then be BiS for flag carrying on my rogue, as long as one is not meaning to use any abilities that require a MH weapon (lol).

It is only BiS in MH when A) you are not using abilities that require them and B) you cannot equip a wand in its place.

So after more testing on my Druid - it looks like the type of weapon used for casters follows a certain template. So equipping an agility mace gives less spell damage than an int mace. So I don't think this is going to be BiS mainhand ever. It basically only replaces a lily.

Or maybe you can get that extra stam for an FC set =P

It's only BiS in main and off hand for a balance/resto druid, all the others only use it for off hand. Resto/ele shammy's probably should use it in main hand and shield in off hand.

Last edited:
I don't think it's BiS mainhand for resto/boomkin, mistweaver monk, or resto/ele. I don't have one so I can't verify that. I think it's currently only a better lily.
It is BiS. You don't lose any dmg and u only gain stats. If you didn't test the item yourself u shouldn't talk like you know what you're talking about.

It is BiS. You don't lose any dmg and u only gain stats. If you didn't test the item yourself u shouldn't talk like you know what you're talking about.

I'm not sure when the caster weapon templates got implemented and who has done what testing. I recently found out that using an agi mace as a boomkin is less damage than an int mace. Its not that much of a stretch to question if the chain actually works as a caster weapon template.

Like I said though - I think this might be the case but can't test it. I'd appreciate it if someone who has one would test. Someone could go into a BG, equip int mace/lily and screenshot their spell tooltip(s). Then switch to agi mace/lily and screenshot. And finally the links and screenshot.

I'm not sure when the caster weapon templates got implemented and who has done what testing. I recently found out that using an agi mace as a boomkin is less damage than an int mace. Its not that much of a stretch to question if the chain actually works as a caster weapon template.

Like I said though - I think this might be the case but can't test it. I'd appreciate it if someone who has one would test. Someone could go into a BG, equip int mace/lily and screenshot their spell tooltip(s). Then switch to agi mace/lily and screenshot. And finally the links and screenshot.
https://imgur.com/a/bYZuM

Thanks for the screenshots. I have no clue how the weapon templates are actually working behind the scenes. The links of chain seem to be counting as a caster weapon. Not sure if they are simply categorized incorrectly on the backend (given that they should just be a trash item)...or perhaps anything not categorized as a physical damage weapon but has a slot (one-hand) is considered a caster weapon? When I remember I'll see if I can mess around with a few different things to see.

Appreciate it, tried on my MH and OH for balance. Increased all my spells by +5

You have to have killed Argus and be an alliance. As I don't have an alliance character @110 on the server I want this on(Draenor EU) I am looking for someone to farm it for me.
Ofc I will pay whoever is willing to do this/trade it for the item on Outland as I have a few alliance chars there.
write in this thread if you're interested =)

Users who are viewing this thread