70-79 70 Twink Paladin PvP Guide [MoP]

Valencia

Legend
Good day! My name is Valencia, and I'll be bringing you my 70 Paladin Guide.

NOTE: Apparently Chardev is dead, I'll be working on transferring these character sheets over to Wowhead or some other website. Thanks for your patience!
UPDATE: Decided to wait out updating till the stat crush is released. If you need any character sheets, post on the thread and I'll reply as time merits.

Foreword:

With the current patches of 5.1, and now the upcoming 5.2, us Paladins aren't to expect much change to the bracket, or our abilities, besides a tweak here and there. Paladin has always been a decent class to 'twink' at 70-74, now more than ever; arguably one of the recommended classes to roll if you're new to the bracket. However if you seek more of a challenge, I would suggest not to roll Pally but instead something along the lines of a Hunter or Warlock.

Notice: Given the arrival of 5.3, most, if not all chardevs will be reworked as I receive feedback and field experience.

CONTENTS

1. Recent Changes

2. Protection
1a. Gear Sets
2a. Talents
3a. Glyphs

3. Retribution
1b. Gear Sets
2b. Talents
3b. Glyphs

4. Holy
1c. Gear Sets
2b. Talents
3c. Glyphs

5. Professions

6. Races

7. Paladin Gear In a Nutshell​

Recent Changes ( 5.4 )

ABILITIES​

Judgement: "Judgment now costs 5% of base mana." PTR tested, no notable change, in fact; less mana cost.

Grand Crusader: Only procs from dodges and parries, in turn; the proc rate when there's a dodge or parry is increased. Always face your target for attempts at procing!

TALENTS​
( 5.2-4 )

Burden of Guilt" Reworked, now is replaced by "Evil is A Point of View" Which is just another CC, preference over using Repentance ( Except working a bit better, but in turn shares diminishing with fears. ) use when there's lack of fears on your side of the time for best results.

Hand of Purity: "Hand of Purity now reduces all incoming damage by 10% in addition to its other effects." In my opinion a good change, as this stacks along with the 70% reduction to periodic effects as well; some might consider spending a point on this, especially Holy Paladins.

Selfless Healer: "Selfless Healer now boosts Flash of Light by 20/40/60% (was 33/66/100%)." Those who use this talent, mainly DPS specs will notice this change; however if you're one of the types who tends to hard cast FoL at 66% ( Two stacks ), this change will be relatively easy to get used to except you stack to it's maximum of three.

Sacred Shield: "Sacred Shield's absorb effect can now be dispelled." Given the fact this hardly absorbs much to begin with at our level, this tends to kill the talent in general. Though some might consider, it has become a very situational talent.

Eternal Flame: "Eternal Flame's periodic heal now provides 100% more healing when self-cast." Quite the change I'd say, given from experience my flames would proc 2-3k when cast on myself, this will double its healing.

Repentance: "Repentance now has a cast time of 1.7 seconds (was 1.5 seconds)." Hurtful for any spec. Especially if played prior to MoP, going from an instant cast, to 1.5 seconds; to present, will prove difficult to pull this ability off if you're being focused.

GLYPHS​
( 5.2-4 )

Glyph of Denounce: Bringing out the shockadin in you just a bit more if you're a Holy Paladin, I'd go ahead and take this glyph if you aren't using anything staple to you for the second slot. Works pretty well if you want to burst down a target being focused by allies.

"Glyph of Blessed Life no longer requires Seal of Insight to be active." For those Paladins who glyph into this, quite helpful so you can stick to Truth; able to Censure a stealth-able target while not losing Blessed Life's ability should you be stunned, feared, or immobilized.

"Glyph of Templar's Verdict can also activate from Exorcism." Awesome! If you play Retribution often like myself, this will help us maintain a decent reduction on the field. Prior we wouldn't have this since our main damage ability is Harsh Word, not Templar's Verdict.

PASSIVES​

Sanctity of Battle "Melee haste effects lower the cooldown and global cooldown of your Judgment, Crusader Strike, and Hammer of Wrath." Varying in spec, this applies to all three talent specializations; this doesn't mean you should overlook your primary gemming and gear statistics. But it does offer tinkering a bit with a few enchants and possibly gear sets if you're intrigued enough. I.E, I brought down my Holy Shock to 3 seconds with a haste stacked PvE set~

Sword of Light: "Sword of Light now increases Flash of Light by 100% (was 30%)." this should be helpful for healing in general, especially those who talent into Selfless Healer.

PVP POWER​

Healing specializations "receive a 100% bonus to healing from PvP Power." This can make a suitable alternate for those regemming out of resilience, given the new soft cap. Although some might already see 70 healing powerful enough as is.

Damage specializations "for Druids, Monks, Paladins, Priests, and Shamans receive a 70% bonus to healing from PvP Power."

This change here easily supports the reasoning behind keeping 'some' PvP Power in your set, unlike your average 70 who will regem primary / secondary statistics blindly. The following classes can benefit more from their healing.
^​
"All other specializations and classes (including tanking) receive a 40% bonus to healing from PvP Power."
As stated above, and albeit a lesser %, I assure this is still a noticeable change in Protection's healing.

Sword of Light "now increases damage with two-handed melee weapons by 30%, up from 15%."

Though this change is nonexistant in our bracket, I'll mention it for those unaware. Base damage for Retribution are from Exorcism and Harsh Word, you will not be using Templar's Verdict to damage anything, in fact; feel free to take it off your bars. Only melee you'll be using is Crusader Strike for HP generation, even then this damage is vaguely noticeable.

Devotion Aura: "Devotion Aura now clears all silence effects when used."

About damned time, this should suit well for fighting against classes who have blanket silences, i.e Spriest, Mage.

PROTECTION PALADIN

Currently one of the most feared specializations in the bracket, the Protection Paladin has shown its' capability in the past, and continues to do so when fighting against casters, resil stackers, or healers. Considered the "Artillery" in any team, the Prot Paladin is invaluable when it comes to taking down even the most heavily armoured of targets.

Prot has always been centered around "building your burst" and choosing the right time to strike, for if your timing is off; your target will most likely be focused healed. The best way to coordinate an assault is to build off power from striking an already active target ( i.e a disc priest continuously bubbling themselves, or a target being focused. ) Then hard switching to a more vulnerable target.

In 5.1 & 5.2 Prot Paladins have been buffed in damage extremely, effective on nearly all possible encounters. The only fault we're expected to get Grand Crusader not procing off Crusader Strike nor Hammer of the Righteous, but instead when you dodge or parry a melee attack.

1a. GEAR SETS​

As a Protection Paladin, you're going to be finding yourself either being in the front lines, picking off targets and getting objectives done. Or a resilience/ stamina stacked juggernaut, defending nodes and holding flags. Please note that these chardevs will be 5.1 material, the possibility that Chardev's statistics are off. ( But still up to date. )

Chardev: DPS PVP Power Protection
Chardev: DPS Critical Strike Protection
Chardev: Protection PvP / Chaotic Meta ( Credit to Splosion )

( First two builds are based around having Synapse Springs, in order to be over the threshold for the Strength required. Choice in weapon is your preference, if you see Crusader Strike as moderate damage or not; just grab a Gladiator's Slicer if you aren't content with the lack of WP damage )

The above set is oriented for offensive play, fully stacked PvP Power, you should be able to pierce through most resilience / stamina stacked targets. Your damage against the average DPS will be ridiculous, offering a wider window for target acquisition.
Note: Since Protection has a passive 15% reduction, Crit or PvP Power stacking will not hinder your survivability by a notable amount ( Should you have been playing Retribution prior ). Along with its' Ardent Defender, most Paladins should be able to survive being focused.

To make it as simple as possible for those reading, PvP Power favours the user interested in high base damage, low critical chance; whilst Crit sets favour higher critical chances but suffering low base damage; they're both viable.

Chardev: Protection FC

This set is for those who are defensive players. Primarily focused on Resilience / Stamina, you will be one of the pillars in Warsong Gulch, as this build is meant to make the Paladin hold off the enemy offensive. Also a viable option should the Paladin find him/herself defending a node alone.
Note: Protection Paladin FCs are second best to Protection Warriors for flag carrying. Should you end up in a position alone, consider Seal dancing between Truth and Insight; as Insight increases your healing potency.

2a. TALENTS​

We have quite a variety at our disposal, however choosing which ones to use all comes down to preference and / or most effective in the scenario you're in.

Row 1:​

Long Arm of the Law: "A successful Judgement increases your movement speed by 45% for 3 seconds"

The best one for a DPS Paladin in PvP, given the fact Judgement is one of our main Holy Power build up, they'll be casting it every time it is off CD. Giving the Paladin a solid 45% for 3 seconds every 5.9 seconds.

Row 2:​

Fist of Justice: "Stuns the target for 6 seconds; Replaces Hammer of Justice."

A favourable talent, having been in our talent trees for several years now; it has been chosen and again proven its' worth in PvP. Now in MoP it has been reduced to 30 seconds, compared to the previous 45 seconds. I would recommend this talent for players encountering a 'more than reasonable' amount of resilience stacking healers, as this will aid in taking them down.

Row 3:​

Selfless Healer: "Your successful Judgements reduce the cast time and mana cost of your next Flash of Light by 35% per stack, and improves its effectiveness by 35% per stack when used to heal others. Stacks up to 3 times."

Complimenting Judgements even more is this sucker, having this will act very supportive should you need to off-heal one of your mates, or yourself. And given that Judgements will be going off every 5.9 seconds, rest assured you will obtain three stacks in no more than 20 seconds. ( Usable even at two stacks, it proves a hard to interrupt cast. )
Note: This talent changes in 5.2, ( 20/40/60% )

Row 4:​

Clemency: "You can use Hand of Freedom, Hand of Protection, hand of Sacrifice, and Hand of Salvation twice each before incurring their cool downs."

Proving itself invaluable in a number of situations, two HoF / HoP; this talent will aid in support of team-play and increased survivability depending on usage.

Hand of Purity: "Place a Hand on the friendly target, reducing the damage of harmful periodic effects by 70% for 6 seconds. Players may have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time."

A currently situational talent, however, with it's upcoming change of a solid 10% reduction along with its 70% periodic. We'll be seeing this talent among st Paladins in general, even DPS; as periodic is effect against the massive amount of Shadow Priests, and the 10% reduction is invaluable.

3a. GLYPHS:​

Theres really not much flexibility concerning Protection Paladins for glyphs, we have two staples.

Glyph of Focused Shield: "Your Avenger's shield hits 2 fewer targets, but for 30% more damage."
Since Avenger's Shield is one of two of the main damage-dealing abilities, it is important to buff this up for as much damage possible.

Glyph of Harsh Word: "Your Word of Glory can now also be used on enemy targets, cause Holy damage approximately equal to the amount it would have healed. Does not work with Eternal Flame."
Our second main damage ability, this will be part of your burst rotation. It is recommended to have WoG macro'd for self healing, as usually the average Paladin will 'mis-target' and deal damage to the enemy instead of healing themselves should the need arise.

RETRIBUTION PALADIN

A specialization that has been kicked from to the curb since Mists of Pandaria. The Ret Paladin is still capable of decent sustained damage. Albeit a spec that is going through dark times in our bracket, it still has proven invaluable support for team play.

Ret is mainly focused around sustained damage, with the occasional burst should you have Synapse Springs / Tazik Shocker. This spec being most effective when supporting those around you with off-heals and hands, you should expect to go for softer targets rather than the heavily resil / stam stacked unless assistance is provided.

1b. GEAR SETS​

As a Retribution Paladin, you're going to be finding yourself constantly pressing against the enemy offensive; aiding your team with healing and protection abilities. There is two sets I've came up with, one for offensive play; the other a hybrid for both survivability and support.

Chardev: Critical Strike Alternative ( By popular demand, shouldn't need to worry about stamina given this is a BG set. Although if you're having trouble with survivability, I suggest trying a stamina based build. Here's one version below~ )
Chardev: Crit Stamina

Chardev: PvP Power Retribution

This one oriented around PvP Power, a Paladin wearing this should experience some noticeable piercing through the averaged resilience / stamina stacking player. I'd recommend caution, and traveling with more than just yourself in a battleground, for you will be a main target due to lack of survivability traits.

Chardev: Hybrid Retribution

Considered an all-purpose set ( Or default ), and with survivability in mind. I'd recommend this set for new Rets and in practice. Having a bit more resilience than the PvP Power stacked.

2b. TALENTS​

Pursuit of Justice: "You gain 15% movement speed at all times, plus an aditional 5% movement speed for each current charge of Holy Power up to 3."

Pursuit complimenting any Ret who played prior to MoP, it is a solid 15% run speed boost, don't expect the secondary affect to be noticeable however, for you will be using Holy Power constantly; not remain in your pool.

Long Arm of the Law: " A successful Judgement increases your movement speed by 45% for 3 seconds."

Similar to Pursuit, prior Ret Paladins will be familiar with this; however the choice between picking either Pursuit or Long Arm will be up to the Paladin's preference. I personally go with Long Arm and tuskar to boots.

I'll be ordering this row of talents on recommendations, top being the most recommended.

Fist of Justice: "Stuns the target for 6 seonds; Replaceds Hammer of Justice."

Considering the Ret paladin will be a large assets to its' team, placing down a stun at the right time will prove invaluable in a scenario where there are more than one resilience stacked healer. The lesser cooldown serves should you mis-use the hammer, or need it more than once in a single scenario.

Repentance: "Puts the enemy target in a state of meditation, incapacitating them for up to 1 minute. Any damage from sources other than Censure will awaken the target. ( 7 seconds in PvP )"

The draw back to this talent is the new implimented cast time, 1.5 seconds. ( 1.7 in 5.2 ). Rets familiar with the instant cast it used to be will most likely disregard this talent, for in combat they will usually not have the opportunity.

Selfless Healer: "Your successful Judgements reduce the cast time and mana cost of your next Flash of Light by 35% per stack, and improves its effectiveness by 35% per stack when used to heal others. Stacks up to 3 times."

No brainer for a Ret, saves your Holy Power for damage dealing and lets this cover any healing you or your team-mates will need.

Clemency: "You can use Hand of Freedom, Hand of Protection, hand of Sacrifice, and Hand of Salvation twice each before incurring their cooldowns."

I've found this talent a must for Ret, being able to escape nasty situations is of utmost important for your survival, and others'.

3b. GLYPHS:​

Glyph of Harsh Word: "Your Word of Glory can now also be used on enemy targets, cause Holy damage approximately equal to the amount it would have healed. Does not work with Eternal Flame."
Staple, given it replaces Templar's Verdict's damage. This will be your main source of damage.

Glyph of Templar's Verdict: "You take 10% less damage for 6 seconds after dealing damage with Templar's Verdict."
Not viable at the moment ( 5.1 ) since our main source for damage comes from Harsh Word, however this will be put into play once Exorcism triggers this effect; not just TV.

Glyph of Immediate Truth: "Increases the instant damage done by Seal of Truth by 30%, but decreases the damage done by Censure by 50%
A glyph of preference. This gives your attacks a bit more bang for your buck, however reducing the damage of your DoT.

Glyph of Double Jeopardy: "Judging a target increases the damage of you next Judgement by 20%, but only if used on a different second target."
This glyph is rather nice for those Rets who tend to hard switch targets often, a solid 20% boost do judgement damage.

HOLY PALADIN​

If any Holy Paladin was around during the beginning of MoP, they'll remember the period of time where Holy Shock hit like a truck. Albeit this was fixed rather quickly, there is still much possibility to consider not just healing, but the return of Shockadin with Harsh Words.

Holy Paladins are no different than your average healer, except they are at a disadvantage compared to say, a Priest due to absorption. However for our weakness, our heals are strong. And now with the release of MoP, we have a Heal over time; which serves quite nicely if you are more of a defensive healer.

With the upcoming patch of 5.2. We're expecting to to receive a rather nice buff to Eternal Flame, and an additional option for talenting as Hand of Purity receives a 10% reduction.

1c. GEAR SETS​

As a Holy Paladin, you'll be in a variety of scenarios. Where you end it should depend on where ever you team needs you, and sometimes what you prefer. Being an invaluable pillar should absorptions be purged from your mates, you will be aiding in keeping those alive through shear healing power.

Chardev: FC - Heavy Stamina Holy

This set being centered around keeping the Paladin alive through even the most harsh of focusing, although through sacrifice of healing efficiency. Fitting for flag carrying should the role fall to you, or holding a node for as long as humanly possible.

Chardev: Efficiency / Average Holy

Stamina averaging around the normal BiS healer, and two piece lightbringer for a slight punch toward your FoL. Leaning more toward the utility and efficiency side of Holy to keep your team-mates alive without sacrificing -too- much reduction to your health pool.

Chardev: Shockadin ( Credit goes to Arot; Modified by Valencia )

More of a 'entertaining' set than anything else ( Since PvP Power no longer applies to increased damage in healing specs anymore ). Considering our Harsh Word. Denounce, or Holy Shock glyphs; this should pack a decent punch against the average target, especially one without absorptions. It'll get the job done in most scenarios where you're allowed to free cast unhindered. Perfect for those willing to try something different.

2c. TALENTS​

All three of these are viable options and will depend on your preference concerning mobility. The most situational being Speed of Light, which is what I use as well; very helpful to reach those in need of healing and you're unable to mount up.

Repentance: "Puts the enemy target in a state of meditation, incapacitating them for up to 1 minute. Any damage from sources other than Censure will awaken the target. ( 7 seconds in PvP )"

I've found this one to be the most supportive of all three, able to CC your opposition as a healer is invaluable, and given that it is a Holy Paladin; your cast time will likely be lesser.

Fist of Justice: "Stuns the target for 6 seconds; Replaces Hammer of Justice."

Second compared to Repent for support, this is rather decent should you have to stun the enemy; your mates will thank you later for helping them take down resilience stackers.

Eternal Flame: "Consumes up to 3 Holy Power to place a protective Holy flame on to a friendly target, which heals them for 3.496, and an additional 332 every 2.89 seconds for 28.85 seconds. Healing increased per charge of Holy Power. Replaces Word of Glory"

Our long delayed ability, Paladins finally having a heal over time. Albeit the spell description says merely 332 healing per tick, this scales with your current gear. And given the upcoming patch of 5.2, the healing from flames will be increased 100% when used on self.

This is the most viable option should you be glyphing into Harsh Word.

Clemency: "You can use Hand of Freedom, Hand of Protection, hand of Sacrifice, and Hand of Salvation twice each before incurring their cool downs."

Explains itself, since the Holy Paladin will most likely be in the most dire of scenarios. Having two of each will prove invaluable.

Hand of Purity: "Places a Hand of the friendly target, reducing the damage of harmful periodic effects by 70% for 6 seconds. Plays may only have one Hand of them per Paladin at any one time.

Ultimately coming down to preference, this will help lower your damage intake while being focused; especially come 5.2 where it gives an additional 10% general reduction ontop of its periodic.

3c. GLYPHS​

Glyph of Beacon of Light: "Removes the global cooldown on Beacon of Light."
Preference, but as of lately I haven't been able to play without it. This glyph helps if you're constantly jumping from target to target hard-casting FoL. Not only will this give you more HP generation, but save you valuable time switching your beacon.

Glyph of Flash of Light: "When you Flash of Light a target, it increases your next heal done to that target within 7 sec by 10%."
Useful yet situational glyph, reason for this is because most of the time you will not be able to hard cast many FoLs, even if you manage; one FoL will top off nearly any target unless being focused ( i.e FC with several stacks. )

Glyph of Holy Shock: "Decreases the healing of Holy Shock by 50% but increases its damage by 50%"
A perfect choice for those offensive Holy Paladins or Shockadins. Even with the 50% reduction to healing this still packs quite a punch for both your allies and opposition.

Glyph of Harsh Words: "Your Word of Glory can now also be used on enemy targets, cause Holy damage approximately equal to the amount it would have healed. Does not work with Eternal Flame."
Like the glyph says, it will not work with Eternal Flame; so should you want a offensive holy Paladin role I'd suggest choosing Selfless Healer.

Glyph of Denounce: "Your Holy Shocks have a 50% chance to reduce the cast time of your next Denounce by 1.0 seconds."
Rather invaluable glyph to the Denounce spammer, wouldn't exactly suggest this even as an offensive player. Your damage will be coming from both Holy Shock and Harsh Word. Denounce will not grant you the HP required for HW.

PROFESSIONS​

There are a number of combinations of professions possible, however I will list the following upon self experimenting and what I've found most preferable amongst the Paladin community. The professions that aren't listed have their own special benefits, and will come down to your preference.

Jewelcrafting: The most recommended, especially for a beginner twink. Having the ability to craft your own gems is invaluable, especially if your server's economy is less than adequate. What also attracts many to this profession is the JC specific gems, which grant a solid 42 to many statistics; namely resilience and PvP Power. Also offering a selection of trinkets should you have a different preference.

Blacksmithing: Another recommended profession, similar to JC's bonus in statistics. ( Except 40 instead of 42 ). This one is usually paired up along with JC for the
utmost stat boost. Not to mention the ability to craft Sunwell plates, titanium platings and chains.

Engineering: Probably the bracket's favourite. Engi provides many options for trinkets and a variety of tinkers to compliment them, theres two in particular that should be mentioned.

Synapse Springs: Increases your Intellect, Agillity, or Strength by 480 for 10 seconds. Your highest stat is always chosen. ( 1 Min CD)
Tazik Shocker: Fire a bolt of electricity, dealing 4,800 Nature damage to an enemy at long range. The shocker can only be used once every two minutes.

Skinnning: This profession aidding in critical strike, its a low budget profession that I'd recommend to Holy Paladins, giving increased chance of something procing off Holy Shock.

RACES​

In order from most recommended to lesser.

Alliance:

Human: Every Man for Himself, "Removes all movement impairing effects and all effects which cause loss of control of your character. This effect shares a cooldown with other similar effects." Giving you a trinket slot; this allow you to be more liberal about which trinkets you decide to pick.

Dwarf: Stoneform, "Removing all poison, disease, and bleed effects, plus reducing all intake of damage by 10% for 8 seconds." Proving invaluable for those who become focused constantly.

Draenei: Gift of the Naaru, "Heals the target for 20% of the caster's total health over 15 seconds." Decent, should you find yourself needing an additional HoT ( Healing scales with gear ).

Horde:

Tauren: Base Health increased by 5%, and War Stomp "Stuns up to 5 enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds"; which is always invaluable should you be in a nasty spot.

Blood Elf: Arcane Torrent: "Activate to silence all enemies within 8 yards for 2 seconds, in addition, you gain 15 Energy, 15 Runic Power or 6% Mana." Mainly for its silence, this racial helps down take casters and resilience stacked healers.

Paladin Gear In a Nutshell​

Protection | Retribution​

Due to high demand and recent flow of Paladins deciding to twink, this is for the re-rolls / newcomers out there not wanting to raid and would rather be deployed on the field ASAP. Simply dependent on how much you farm whilst leveling, given some of these pieces will cost a decent amount of Justice Points.

Link: JP Paladin DPS
( Regem into Smooth King Ambers over Stormy if that's your preference )

Requirements:
Justice Point Cost: 1,248 ( I'd suggest JP cap if you're farming gems as well for 220 a piece. )
Honor Point Cost: 1,420 ( This includes sword and board. )*
Engineering: Most twinks will already go Engi for a chance at a Cataclsym tinker, although this requirement is based off the two trinkets you will be using ( Replace the Lightning Gen if you aren't human. )

Set can be used for Retribution as well, however you won't have the luxury of a 3 socket Apolyon unless you decide to raid ( 375 Honor for Brutal 2H ).*

Holy​

Similar to what was stated above, this is a chardev to simply get you out on the field. This holy set in particular is centered ( Gem & enchanted ) around more bulk than actual offensive capability, so change it at your leasure.

Link: JP Paladin Holy

Requirements:
Justice Point Cost: 702
Honor Point Cost: 1,610
Engineering: Again, most twinks already go for Engi for Cataclsym tinkers. You'll need this for the two trinkets ( Replace Lightning Gen if not human. )

There wasn't much of a change in comparison to your average / ordinary holy set, besides the legplates, sabatons, and weapon.

_______
Hope this helps some Paladins out there. Probably not the very best guide given it's my first, but feel free to leave a comment down below should you see any mistakes / missing facts. Will be updating continuously to correct grammar ( English not my first language. ) and new changes.

Credits:
Sylvanós @ Illidan - Community - World of Warcraft Field Assessor

Last edited by a moderator:
Mind if I ask why you've placed the str gems like that in the PvP chardev? You've not gone for a meta (not a smart idea imo), but have gone for those gems in the chest, without noting any decent socket bonuses. You've also gone for a blue two-socket shield in one and the epic one in the other. Also, no jwc gems when jewelcrafting is a chosen profession.

Personally I've chosen this setup: chardev 10 - Mist of Pandaria - BETA

400 extra AP and the crit bonus meta might be worth 100 PvP power, remembering that there is a threshold of AP which you need to obtain first. Once I've gathered a reasonably large amount of gems from which to test with, I'll provide that threshold for you. it also has more haste, crit and less hit than the ones linked. Finally, the on-use trinket is probably a requirement, if protection is as about lining up burst as you say.

Also, you didn't list repentance as a talent for protection. Is this because you don't think its worth it? Or that it DRs with other CC from common protection comps? It's pretty strong even for this spec, so I don't know why it'd be ignored.

Also, both prot and ret's ability cooldowns scale with melee haste. if you have more, the cooldown is certainly going to be lower than 5.9 seconds :3

Just my 2c, hopefully I can improve what's already here.

Mind if I ask why you've placed the str gems like that in the PvP chardev? You've not gone for a meta (not a smart idea imo), but have gone for those gems in the chest, without noting any decent socket bonuses. You've also gone for a blue two-socket shield in one and the epic one in the other. Also, no jwc gems when jewelcrafting is a chosen profession.

Personally I've chosen this setup: chardev 10 - Mist of Pandaria - BETA

400 extra AP and the crit bonus meta might be worth 100 PvP power, remembering that there is a threshold of AP which you need to obtain first. Once I've gathered a reasonably large amount of gems from which to test with, I'll provide that threshold for you. it also has more haste, crit and less hit than the ones linked. Finally, the on-use trinket is probably a requirement, if protection is as about lining up burst as you say.

Also, you didn't list repentance as a talent for protection. Is this because you don't think its worth it? Or that it DRs with other CC from common protection comps? It's pretty strong even for this spec, so I don't know why it'd be ignored.

Also, both prot and ret's ability cooldowns scale with melee haste. if you have more, the cooldown is certainly going to be lower than 5.9 seconds :3

Just my 2c, hopefully I can improve what's already here.

Don't sweat it, guide is meant to help and improve from critique such as your own. :p

To be honest I don't recall adding the strength gems, nor the professions; most likely forgot given the time I was writing that portion. But I assume it was meant to reach said "threshold". I'll spend some time now tweaking it.

As for repentance, Indeed I believe it is inferior compared to the other two talents you can obtain, especially with the upcoming patch which will increase its cast time; I personally haven't found the use for it nor an opportunity on the field where I could if it were talented. If anything, still can list on there, this guide is based on the general build for battlegrounds; arenas weren't in mind.

Since 5.2 has ret become viable?
I seem to be doing far more damage as ret on the 40 or so pala I'm leveling than pre 5.2
Wondered if that has carried to the 70s bracket.

Since 5.2 has ret become viable?
I seem to be doing far more damage as ret on the 40 or so pala I'm leveling than pre 5.2
Wondered if that has carried to the 70s bracket.

In regards to damage, the overall secondary statistic reduction while in a BG or RBG has really made our DPS more manageable in comparison to Protection, excluding Prot's burst of course. Especially against the resilience stacked, which can probably go toward all DPS classes in general.

Also having buffed our Sword of Light passive by 70%ish, so on average our FoL would heal 20k. Might seem rather ridiculous but it makes up for their squishy-ness.

Other notable change would be Glyph of Templar's Verdict, which now procs from Exorcism.
I mean, with ret's mediocre damage between 70-74, combined with the healing. They're in the spot bordering underpowered, but not quite in it.

Anyone can feel free to quote me, would like to hear opinions.

What is the Strength threshold you refer to in this thread?

I've been field testing it for awhile, albeit I'm a 72 Ret / Prot. Found having 2k-2.2k AP does rather decent (4-5 Strength gems @ 72, so probably less depending on gear and statistic scale @ 70 ) and 24-25% PvP Power. This does nicely in Battlegrounds as well, given the primary statistics don't get reduced, so you have a reliable damage stat.

Will be changing some of these sets on guide come patch.

Hey, thx for the guide! i'having some fun with my prot pally, now i have to gem my gear to step in arena, do u advice to gem full PvP power? or starting gemming strength for the upcoming patch?

I'd only advice gemming full power if you have Synapse, otherwise you'd want to toss a few Strength gems in there; 1.8k AP at least without procs from other items such as trinkets or enchants. In terms of the upcoming patch though, I wouldn't be able to tell you for certain till it arrives on retail. Albeit I've been fooling around on the PTR with several sets, everything is still "subject to change"

Is better the trinket from sunwell or Sonic Booster from eng?

I've personally found it preference when it comes to trinkets, 81 Stamina is a lot in a battleground especially after scaling; the proc from Booster is easier to predict, or in other words, time a burst. With the Sliver it can be just as effective, only downside is the lack of STA and a slow build up.

why not picking repentance?

Since you have plans to hop into arenas, It's not a bad idea if your partner either can't CC, or doesn't know how to properly. Given the guide was created with Battlegrounds in mind and not Arenas, I'd suggest giving it a shot if that scenario I mentioned is present.

May I ask why you decided to make the jump to 72 and give up arena? Personally I don't find bgs so much fun that I'd level a tink ;o

Also, may I ask where the main source of damage is as ret? I'm assuming Exo/Judge/Harsh Words

i think he answered in another post! and wasn't intentional! he joined some rbg with the exp unblocked, and at the end of the match it gived so much exp the he passed the 70!! Sorry if i'm wrong!

May I ask why you decided to make the jump to 72 and give up arena? Personally I don't find bgs so much fun that I'd level a tink ;o

'twas a risk I took, back when ( Early MoP ) rated battlegrounds still popped every once in awhile. Most of us weren't aware it gave EXP, so people in our raid group leveled; only one was rolled back. Sucked it up and decided to level my Alliance character ( With about 270ish days played ) to 72 for wings, based merely on theory of how battlegrounds were going to change and how secondaries wouldn't effect my character much.

I'll cut my wings off in a heart beat if it meant I'd get to see arenas again.

Also, may I ask where the main source of damage is as ret? I'm assuming Exo/Judge/Harsh Words

Exo / Harsh / Judge in that order, judgement merely serving as a Holy Power generator with the occasional punch. Downfall in comparison to Protection specialized Paladins is the fact WoG is still on GCD, Prots have the luxury Rets do not >.>

i think he answered in another post! and wasn't intentional! he joined some rbg with the exp unblocked, and at the end of the match it gived so much exp the he passed the 70!! Sorry if i'm wrong!

Yer quite right, :p

Hey, i'm playing some arena with a disci priest, currently we are at 1944 rating. We had a lot a trouble against this combo: Disci + surv Hunter... they won most of the time (like 6-1), the damage is incredible high, and scatter + trap + fear + silence on me = PROT die. I dispel serpent sting on cd, and use HoP on cd, but i can't put pressure on the Hunter, any thought?

Can a prot pally win against a shadow priest in duel? any suggestion?
sometimes my dps seems a bit low, i can't pierce the priest shield...

Try to kill the hunter's pet fast. Your partner should be dispelling the hunter to remove shields and Pom - if he's decent he can death scatters and immune silence shot to allow you to play more offensively. Save bop for when your partner gets scattered Nd you have no stacks or divine protection or bubble, to break the scatter off him and avoid the trap.Just some pointers, if you kill the pet, the hunter will be forced to play over defensively e rest of the match, and will not have so much pressure :)

Thx for the reply i will try!
why for surv hunter the pet is so important? from recount the first source of damage is serpent sting

Thx for the reply i will try!
why for surv hunter the pet is so important? from recount the first source of damage is serpent sting
what u mean with
- if he's decent he can death scatters and immune silence shot to allow you to play more offensively

Since Meat be me to it, I'll answer the other question.

Can a prot pally win against a shadow priest in duel? any suggestion?
sometimes my dps seems a bit low, i can't pierce the priest shield...

Pretty simple, you wouldn't want to DPS their shield to begin with, especially if they have the Reflective Shield glyphed; you'll be making the Priest's job much easier with killing yourself. Build up holy power along with keeping yourself topped off, make sure to have any offensive abilities as well as 3 HP to attempt on a burst ( If they're not resil stacked, you should be able to sink his/hers whole health pool. )

Of course this is scenarios in BGs, the Spriests who stack some resilience aren't as effective on that ground. I wager they'll become easier targets prior patch.

Users who are viewing this thread