60s and 69s in Wrath

Veechard

Legend
With WOTLK around the corner, I wanted to get a census to see who will be playing this bracket, and possibly sway those unsure in this direction. The current state of 69 bracket is actually looking quite well. There are always at least one game going on during the week of any given bg, and on weekends multiple of each. Now, a lot of folks are getting concerned about the XP off making games nearly non existent. But I’m here to put your mind at ease and encourage you to continue playing or start up a new 69.

I’m not in the BGs as much as I should be considering all the work I put into my mage, but I’ve played enough to get a idea of where we are at and where we are headed. In any given match, I would say a good 35% are full blown 69 twinks, with an occasional 60 sprinkled in there. The other 65% consists of in the process of gearing 69s or levelers. Twinks have a huge presence in this bracket. Hopefully going into wrath, we will see a lot more new comers and a wider range of Twink levels.

I would like to discuss non 69s in this bracket and their pivotal role. 69s in wrath get major benefits from gear in northrend such as end of zone blue item quests; as well as two dungeons you can get blue gear from. Also enchants and gems used at 80 are available. Because of this, primary and secondary stats start to get a little wild especially for 60s. This will even the playing field between 60s and 69s

The greatest part of all this is 60s get this all as well other than engineering. And as a result, you will end up seeing crazy builds like 60 Ret pallys with 70% crit, or frost mages with 50% haste. This is great for the bracket because it means the meta for a match is not just 10 lvl 69s going against 10 other 69s. The 60s act as a whole different dimension to the match and actually prove their worth. Not to mention if your starting new and do your boost, you can almost immediately start battle grounding.

My hopes is we can get this bracket really moving in wrath and avoid the lack of queues due to XP off. If we have to form guilds and schedule days, so be it. Thanks for reading cya in the Song

Last edited:
I have 2 naxx geared 60s. And intend on keeping them there, on the PTR the hit differential between 60-70 doesn’t seem to be that heavy like it was in original wotlk. Now this could be a bug or due to the few posts a couple of my friends made about this hit problem in lower level bgs for wotlk.
IF this persists and hit rating is semi normalized in pvp for 60-69 I will be playing the shit out of 60 bgs. If not, you’ll see me as a hellfire hit squad ganking my heart out. And in no 60-69 bgs

I don't remember ANY hit problems in Wotlk as a 60 twink AT all, tbh.

I've had a few 60 twinks in wotlk over the years. Original wotlk, and 3 "blizzlike" servers.
Don't recall ever having an issue with hit in a 60v70 fight. 60 prot pallies in naxx gear were the shit even into Cata

This is one of my friends who I played with in retail Wotlk at 60. As you can see he has no problem whatsoever hitting higher levels, even one-shotting them.

The problem isn’t just hitting the target, it’s the disparage in the amount of hits that dual wield classes are penalized by and spellcasters have to make up for in order to efficiently be on a level enough playing field against x9’s.

Last edited:
The problem isn’t just hitting the target, it’s the disparage in the amount of hits that dual wield classes are penalized by and spellcasters have to make up for in order to efficiently be on a level enough playing field against x9’s.
As I said; I had no problem in retail Wotlk. I played fury.

My experience was different
Idk what to tell ya man. I've checked some more footage and asked some of my friends from back then and nobody I know had any hit problems.

At worst some higher levels had more armor, health and depending on the class just took less damage but our hits still landed just fine.

My experience was different

This.

just noting I didnt see a lot of enemies higher than level 66... there's some, but not many. Browsing thru the clips, I mean.

edit- ok, not the right level but was looking for other old stuff and this video cracked me up:

Last edited:
How would a 69 ret compare to your 60? I truly dont have a clue, ret were scum of the earth and will likely flood it.

At 60... that is. 51-60 AV was just appalling ally side, the ret population made these SL hunters look like gladiators.

Also, wasnt there a middle ground where secondary stats didnt degrade too bad? Like 64 or 65? Could be totally off...

edit- also, werent the eng glove enchants grandfathered at one point? Like only 70+? Something about 450 engineering being available for a week or something? No profession caps and then they reverted? Could be a different xpac... been a while, lol.

i was under the impression engineering 450'd require level 65, so unless you're a gnome you're SOL

That's right... and likely why I had it in my head about 65 being an option. I think 69 was just flat better tho.

edit- and was that the RNG discovery nonsense that allowed 2 tries and then drop/re-level if you got the wrong ones?

I was pretty heavy in to 59 twinking in early Wrath for DKs, but then blizzard changed the talent tree for frost around. Howling Blast used to be available at 59 and was a lot of fun to use.

So I will move on to 69 twinking I think. Wish there were more resources for stuff this high, but I am excited to see what the community comes up with

I touched a little on this with OP. But something I see being a attraction to this bracket is how impactfu the engineering enchants and gear on, but then how they will not be considered OP as everyone will have access to 81 stam trinks, like 80 stam engineering helms. So even if hit is a slight issue for 60s they will more than make up for it by having health pool nearly as high as 69s aside from stam from the northrend blues, but will more than make up for that in secondary star %s. This will be a very inviting and broad Twink bracket.

here is an example.
My 60 ret pally when done gearing will have 6k health, 70% crit chance, while still having sonic booster procing, eng glove enchant, and tailoring cloak enchant.

my 69 mage will have 7k health, but only 900 SP and 30% crit enchant with noise machine proc, glove and cloak enchant

A 60 Ret with 70% crit melee and 60% crit spell will be more impactful in a team game than an Arcane with 30% crit. And nearly have same health pool

I’ve been trying to get Libram from Naxx that gives bonus healing to flash of light, as in wrath Rey paladins get instant flash of light every time they crit with melee. And with 70% melee crit, it will happen a lot. So any benefit to flash of light I can get will be crucial
How is your 60 Paladin going to have sonic boosters? As said above me 65 is required for 391+ eng (gnome is the exception passed 375). This disparage will be the largest in the whole bracket, 69s will have a free 1-3 k damage from a glove enchant which is half a 60s hp if crit. Of course 60s will still be able to handle themselves but to say the secondary stat gain will make up for it even with hit looking normalized is just a cope.

I won’t even mention how strong the free nitro boots and frag belt is too

Something about 450 engineering being available for a week or something? No profession caps and then they reverted?
i was under the impression engineering 450'd require level 65, so unless you're a gnome you're SOL
450 Engineering was available to everyone for a while. I don't remember for how long but I do remember opting to not get it at the time for.... reasons that I went back on later.

I regretted for a long time not having maxxed my engineering when I could, so I'm glad I got the chance to fix that.

Anyhow I suppose this will depend on which patch Wotlk Classic starts on. If it's a later patch there's a fat chance that there will be a lv65+ requirement.

At 60... that is. 51-60 AV was just appalling ally side, the ret population made these SL hunters look like gladiators.
I admittedly was one of those ret players that only queued AV :D
But on my battlegroup (these were still a thing then right?) there wasn't a whole lot of twinks. I remember Horde having more shamans than we had ret's. I would also play Prot from time to time as well.
[doublepost=1660589025,1660586779][/doublepost]to further question my memory, was it 10-15 man bgs bracketed at 60-69 and AV was at 50-60?

AV was at 50-60?

AV was 51-60, 61-70, and I think even 71-80 but not sure there. 80 might have been all by itself...

I had a paladin too, Prot paladin named "Prot" and used it to tank the PvE stuff since most everyone was tooling around middle ganbanging horde 5 v 1 cuz that's how alliance rolled back then. In my battlegroup, at least.

Most times horde wouldnt get 20 people to join before it was over... I still enjoyed making 60's most, might again.

Users who are viewing this thread