49 DH - SL or BFA?

G0DF47H3R

Grandfathered
With the discovery of the higher ilvl gear from leveling through SL content my 49's will be mainly SL geared but I am trying to figure out what to do with my DH. The only reason why I'm considering BFA and older gear is because of how fun it has been to play with the Eye Beam haste/damage/CD from Legion and Azerite gear over the past two xpacs. I know the leggo ring and helm are disabled now but I can still get the two sets of Eyes of Rage and Furious Gaze gear in dungeons, etc. Do you think it would still be viable for boosting and farming or all around fun game play? I know my geared out 110 rogue now hits like a limp noodle at 45 and can no longer solo previously soloable dungeons so will I feel the same nerf on the DH in capped BFA/Legion gear, even with the bonuses? Thanks for any insight!

I haven't tested my 49 DH as Havoc yet but Veng is very good in SL gear. So far out of the (4) 49's I have it's the best all round. DPS is meh but I can pull a LARGE pack of Mobs and never die for AOE farming, in SL Zones. My Hunter can kill much faster (ST) but still has some issues with AOE more than 3 or so.

I don't even have Dungeon set stuff since I haven't played him since Legion 101's but I'd bet it'd be great fun. One thing to consider, if there's anything you want via Chromie Time, get it BEFORE you do SL content. It's bugged out right now (hell not even easy to get on it AT 49, BEFORE doing the SL Quest). We're hoping Blizz fixes it soon. This is in regards to Legion and earlier XPacs, not BfA.

I haven't tested my 49 DH as Havoc yet but Veng is very good in SL gear. So far out of the (4) 49's I have it's the best all round. DPS is meh but I can pull a LARGE pack of Mobs and never die for AOE farming, in SL Zones. My Hunter can kill much faster (ST) but still has some issues with AOE more than 3 or so.

I don't even have Dungeon set stuff since I haven't played him since Legion 101's but I'd bet it'd be great fun. One thing to consider, if there's anything you want via Chromie Time, get it BEFORE you do SL content. It's bugged out right now (hell not even easy to get on it AT 49, BEFORE doing the SL Quest). We're hoping Blizz fixes it soon. This is in regards to Legion and earlier XPacs, not BfA.

I love playing max level Veng DH and bet it would be a beast with SL gear. I was mainly asking about Havoc due to the fun mechanics. I ran an Island Expedition and had no problem killing but not having the increased damage and constant uptime of Eye Beam is making me guess. I relied on Legion set bonuses and leggos, since that was meta at 110, and never felt like I needed to finish the Azerite sets on the lower level so maybe I'll at least get those to try it out. I read your post about the SL breadcrumb quests so I'm going to jump on that. What does Chromie have to offer us that SL gear doesn't?

Chromie Time can net you with iLvL 58 weird shit from Legion and earlier. Stuff like Trinkets with ~12% Dodge on use (Hellfire Peninsula), Dungeon Set Bonuses that still work (TBC) and have tons of Sockets, really odd proc Weapons like +184 AP/SP when fighting Demons (TBC), items with Resistances, etc.

Nice! Is there any benefit to getting that stuff beforehand, like BG's or just TW dungeons? And did I see something about xp not turning off in the SL starting quest? I had this issue on the first couple days on my 27 (70) when SL launched then Slahtz finally let me turn it on to hit 29 so should hit I hit 49 and turn off XP before doing anything?

I don't mind leveling my druid past 49 (for professions reasons) so I'll try it out on him to see if I gain XP or ding 50.

I'll try it out on him to see if I gain XP or ding 50.

It wont give you XP, the experience lock still works just like before. What doesnt though, is chromie time... once you hit level 48 you cannot change your current chromie time or even bring up the option to at all. If you want stuff from a certain chromie-time timeline then IMO you should choose that timeline at level 47, level up to 49 and get what you want from it that way.

I just did it again like an hour ago and it does NOT kick you out of chromie time until level 50. When you ding level 50 you have like a minute (there's an acutal timer on screen) to finish up in that timeline, and then it kicks you into the present. Even at level 49 the mobs surrounding me were all level 48-ish (proper level) and I was turning in quests for level-appropriate rewards.

I was in Elwynn Forest, my chromie timeline was WoD tho. Elwynn mobs reverted to level 30 (from 48) once I was level 50.

edit- honestly, i dont even know how chromie time works cuz all the zones were my level, not just the chromie one.

Maybe the other dungeons dont scale? I dunno...

Ok. Thanks for the update. Is there any benefit at, at 49, to getting the old gear through Chromie, other than Timewalking?

Edit: What I mean by benefit is obviously getting the old gear through chromie and staying in BFA gear on my DH it would be a benefit but would getting it on any other 49 be beneficial for something like iPvP over the higher ilvl SL gear? Or would the benefit, at that point, just be for Timewalking Dungeons?

Last edited:
The only reason to get Chromie Time gear at 49 is for specific circamstances. For example, TBC has several items you can get that increase damage against Demons and they scale pretty high at 49. There are also Set Bonuses in old(er) Dungeons that still work and interesting procs on Weapons/Trinkets/Rings/Necks that may benefit you in certain situations. None of it would be considered BiS.

Ok cool. I only have a couple 45's, since I switched other toons to 119 in BFA and are now already 49, and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, lol. I think I'll do the Chromie stuff on my DH and max out with Azerite. I can always go SL on it later and have other toons to mess with in SL gear. Thanks again for your help! I'll figure out if the DH is as fun once I'm done and give feedback. If someone else has anything about the DH staying BFA to use older boosting mechanics feel free to chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread