20 Holy paladin.

Germinus

So. Im atm theorycrafting 20 hpala... What would be good shield to go with (on mobile wont link) mara 1h mace that returns mana, for pvp? I think 1h + shield would be better for pvp, than 2h artifact ilv 33..? Toughs?

I'm using The Green Tower, and so far am vhappy with the move of using a shield. The ilvl28 version gives 177 Block which is the most I've seen so far.

Last edited:
I'm using The Green Tower, and so far am vhappy with the move of using a shield. The ilvl28 version gives 177 armor which is the most I've seen so far.
Any idea how much more armor that is over a normal blue drop? Will be hard to compete with a +6 stamina +4 armor gem in terms of total effective health, I would think.

So. Im atm theorycrafting 20 hpala... What would be good shield to go with (on mobile wont link) mara 1h mace that returns mana, for pvp? I think 1h + shield would be better for pvp, than 2h artifact ilv 33..? Toughs?

The mara wep doesnt currently proc but I'd say its worth picking up incase it eventually does.

I'd go with the shield from the dinosaur dude from the bfa dungeon since it can proc a gem slot. It's an annoying grind but not too awful.

As for the wep the best wep is one that has procced a gem slot as well, but I'm unsure if this is possible to get as ftp. I'm currently using one from treasure chests obtained from the badlands as it gives good secondary stats and decent int.

With +5 int offhand, +11sp mh and the gem slot in the shield it will give the same int I believe as the artifact wep at ilvl 33 (it gives 1 less than ilvl 34 artifact) but the gain in better secondaries (haste mainly) and boost in armour is worth it imo.

As for the wep the best wep is one that has procced a gem slot as well, but I'm unsure if this is possible to get as ftp.
BFA rare drops can proc a socket but as they are "one and done" loot, its a bit of a crapshoot. I think WOD rares can too? Which might be a potential HPal worthy grind, though Im terribly unsure of their being a caster 1hand available.

I think WOD rares can too?

I feel like WoD rares can only do epic/tertiary, but not 100% on that - i know the "normal" dungeon loot works that way tho. (feel like the normal rares cant even do tertiary for some reason - just epic upgrades. Love to hear otherwise on that.)

Once you get up into heroics you can get all 3 on a single piece, but normal-level WoD dungeons i never got a socket ever.

edit- the apexis rares that everyone was farming for the ilvl 44 loot could proc sockets, but those were end-game rares. They also are daily reset and still can proc sockets (i think) but never epic (also think)...

Except the one staff that's still 44. That one is one and done and not guaranteed like the normal one and done rare drops.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's not accurate for normal WoD rares, pretty sure it's combining normal ones and apexis ones into neither.

edit- i could be wrong, but I've farmed a lot of WoD crap a while back and dont recall the situation being that "good".

Does any procs work on 20? My other choise was 2 socket haste proc mace mh. As pally i will have to dps to get all hp at 20, if mana mace doesnt work now?

You can get ilvl 25 green shields off of AH that can proc speed and socket, I have a couple depending on what realm YOURE on

Theoretically, the Mythic Hellscream heirlooms would be your BiS MH + Shield....Idk how many people actually have them, though, as they were only obtainable in WoD...

+33 Int, +12 Stam, +4 Mastery, +4 Crit all together with 4 (!) sockets.

https://www.wowhead.com/item=105688/hellscreams-warmace?bonus=0

https://www.wowhead.com/item=105693/hellscreams-shield-wall?bonus=0

Think there's also a caster shield (Hellscream's Barrier) but on Wowhead it's not showing with sockets.
mop not wod they were removed with wods release. but yes if you have them they are very slick. I was thinking of farming lvl 25 mobs in drustvar for a shiled/mh for my paladins holy spec.

1. About Holy Artifact

The holy artifact doesn't give +30% Armor how it used to and you lose your ability to block with it.

I would stay away from it, unless: (1) it's fully upgraded with +7 relics; (2) there are no melees or hunters in the enemy team; (3) you are playing a large BG that allows you to heal from the backline.

Even then it might not that be good, because of off-hand enchants.

2. About BfA shields w/Sockets
@toskosa, the formula for green armor and weapon level requirements appear to be different. In my experience, armor requirements are something like the creature's level minus 6; and weapons are minus 3 (half of that valor).

This would explain why lvl25 Drustvar mobs drop armor with a requirement of lvl19 and weapons with lvl22.

So, if you want to grab a BfA green shield with a socket, my theory is that you'd need a level22-23 farming at Tiragarde Sound (since it's the only low level zone in Kul Tiras).

upload_2020-12-28_20-49-55.png
upload_2020-12-28_20-50-10.png
upload_2020-12-28_20-50-21.png

FYI they all have the same amount of Armor (71) and Block (177) at ilvl 28. It might be possible that there are GF ilvl 29 shields(?) but I've not seen any.

If you don't have the MoP heirloom you want to get an Essence Focuser as your MH. 22 int, 6 stam, 10 versa.

Last edited:
Any idea how much more armor that is over a normal blue drop? Will be hard to compete with a +6 stamina +4 armor gem in terms of total effective health, I would think.
Normal blue drop would give you 64 armor, so that's a +7 gain right there vs 71. Now, suppose you get a shield to proc a socket from that bfa dungeon, you'll decrease that margin by -4 with that green gem, giving a difference of 3 armor and also get +6 stam along the way with that blue socketed shield.
From my character's screen, 3 armor points is not even 0.6% physical dmg reduction..
The only major difference is the the Block value of 177 vs 160, which is a 2,25% reduction dmg from an attack.
So I kinda agree with you on that part.

Users who are viewing this thread