19 Hunter - Venomstrike or Lil Timmy's Peashooter?

i believe (may be wrong) the venomstrike version you are asking about is not the original van wow version, the poison proc was added or buffed on a late patch in 2007 in TBC. same patch that made numerous "of the fang" into blues, also serpent shoulders and rugged spaulders blues. reason i remember deciding at that point to get the venomstrike because of the poison proc

https://classicdb.ch/?item=6469#comments

question? did blizzard put the TBC version of venomstrike in classic WOW?

Last edited:
Below some math to compare the two. Note that the math is slightly flawed as resistance is a lot more complex than portrayed below. Some assumptions such as the average armor were made. In addition, some other factors influence the total outcome that are not listed below. Regardless, it gives an idea of the situation.

Lil Timmy's Peashooter
10.96+4.5 Bullets = 15.46 raw DPS
25% average damage reduction from armor
15.46*0.75 = 11.60

Venomstrike

9.58 DPS+3.5 Arrows = 13.08 raw DPS
25% average damage reduction from armor
13.08*0.75= 9.81

Proc
Proc rate = 10% (source = classic wowhead comments)
PPM = 60/10/2.4= 2.5 PPM
2.5*38 (avg proc dmg) = 95 DMG
~7.5% average resistance = 95*0.925 = 87.875
87.875/60 = 1.46 DPS

9.81+1.46 = 11.27 DPS

Instants
Arcane Shot and Serpent Sting favour Venomstrike, Multi-Shot is more complex.
If you get one extra proc out of Venomstrike from instants per minute you will outperform Timmy's.
This means you need to use 10 instants or more per minute, aka once every 6 seconds.
This seems very doable, desireable and likely, ultimately making Venomstrike better.

Conclusion:
Venomstrike is generally better.
- Especially vs classes with high armor and low nature resistance.
- The advantage of Venomstrike gets bigger the more instants you use.
- Vs low armor classes Timmy's might be preferable.
- Rogues/Warriors don't use ranged instants. I'd recommend Outrider's Bow + Feathered Arrows for those two classes as they need much fewer ammo for max DPS. For single shots, use Throwing Knifes.

Should I've made any mistakes, please point them out so I may make amends.

Last edited:
Would suggest you to get Bow of Plunder aswell, if you wan't to go for bows.

Kind regards Icantjump

Something everyone forgets: As Alliance, Dwarves have +5 Gun skill - this adds another very nice boost to the dmg output for the peashooter- beats venomstrike hands down using the crafted shots and Accurate Scope (+3) attached (has to be done by someone level 20 - I sent them to my main to attach)

Something everyone forgets: As Alliance, Dwarves have +5 Gun skill - this adds another very nice boost to the dmg output for the peashooter- beats venomstrike hands down using the crafted shots and Accurate Scope (+3) attached (has to be done by someone level 20 - I sent them to my main to attach)
+5 weapon skill is literally like a .2% increased chance to hit/crit so basically irrelevant

Users who are viewing this thread