101 vs 102

christred

Veteran
any major differences in stat bonuses for 101 compared to 102? i have a 102 DH i was leveling when they were new but never continued, was thinking of maybe just twinking it at the 102 its at right now, or i could go to 109 if its worth it, or would it be better to just make a new one and get it to 101?

Im not going to confirm anything because I truly cant, but getting a DH out of the starter zone (with or without BOAs) may cause you to overlevel to 101-103.
Back when I was doing my 100 twink DH, I had to avoid all of the extra NPCs just so I could leave at level 100. Took me 3 tries to not overlevel, and this was before the experience buff, without BOA gear.

With that said, I wouldn't suggest remaking your DH. I dont have enough experience to speak on the 101/102 question you've placed either, but if you're wanting to build your character to be as strong as possible, I'd assume 109 would be the best bet.

I think DH gets more abilities as you level? Is that right? It's not like other classes that have their full toolkit at like 80.

Look it up and check, but anything below 108 and you're giving up abilities, I think. Just check your spellbook.

edit- ok.. maybe it's talents, not as much abilities. But still the same concept. It's why 99 DH wasn't worth doing. Also, if you're just going to PvP, there's no reason to stay low because the best gear is 101 BoE regardless of level in the bracket.

The filler pieces are a smidge better at 109, but it's nominal after the squish.

Last edited:
Im not going to confirm anything because I truly cant, but getting a DH out of the starter zone (with or without BOAs) may cause you to overlevel to 101-103.
Back when I was doing my 100 twink DH, I had to avoid all of the extra NPCs just so I could leave at level 100. Took me 3 tries to not overlevel, and this was before the experience buff, without BOA gear.

With that said, I wouldn't suggest remaking your DH. I dont have enough experience to speak on the 101/102 question you've placed either, but if you're wanting to build your character to be as strong as possible, I'd assume 109 would be the best bet.
All I wish to convey is that if you think keeping your experience below 101 was tough, I challenge you to try to keep the demon hunter at 99. Your in for a big shock if you want and try to make a lvl 99 demon hunter heh. The methods required for that one...
[doublepost=1548210394,1548209931][/doublepost]
I think DH gets more abilities as you level? Is that right? It's not like other classes that have their full toolkit at like 80.

Look it up and check, but anything below 108 and you're giving up abilities, I think. Just check your spellbook.

edit- ok.. maybe it's talents, not as much abilities. But still the same concept. It's why 99 DH wasn't worth doing. Also, if you're just going to PvP, there's no reason to stay low because the best gear is 101 BoE regardless of level in the bracket.

The filler pieces are a smidge better at 109, but it's nominal after the squish.
I would argue that the 101 BoEs are not necessarily better depending on the stat you wish to go for. For example, while the chest did have more secondary stats than lower gear, with enchants and gems I could get my strength decently higher than what the BoEs gave me and still yet have on equal stamina along with slightly less secondaries. But for the boots since no higher ilvl boots have decent stats with gems and the enchants are not very strong the 101 BoE is always the best. The +20 str enchant usually makes lower gloves automatically the best for damage. But this also depends on the ilvl of the BoE if it's high enough it will beat out the lower gear. The very high ilvl appear very rare to me however as I almost never see them, especially the 200 ones which I have never seen before.

But unless you can snipe that gear well enough or your auction house is inactive, lower ilvl with gems and enchants is a good replacement.

Does that make the lesser gear "BiS" tho…? No, it's just replacement.

edit- looking at just the boE plate gloves on wowhead, it's seems a 209 piece has 16 more STR alone than the 166 version, which is likely stronger than any piece you enchant. What replacement are you enchanting to be "better" than those?

Indeed, I never was meaning to suggest it was BiS only that with the rarity of high ilvl BoEs that it will likely be your BiS gear over even a lot of 101 BoEs until you can eventually, if ever, get that 200 gear.

That is out of context, I said specifically that it also depends on the ilvl and that indeed it depends on the stat you wish to go for. Concerning the majority of 101 gear which I was addressing it is in many cases not the best.
[doublepost=1548212556,1548212347][/doublepost]I will also say that I don't believe that 101 censor trinket will ever be BiS even with the main stat increase cause its horrible proc attached to it. But I imagine that could depend on which you are going for as well, sustain or burst but most of the burst options appear to proc frequently enough that for strength users it would not be the best.

there are many definition of BIS .. some players are almost BIS but they are not dishing out the dmg they should, it depends on the class you choose, there are some class, even with good gears (not BIS) they can macro and kill an enemy (especially healers) within 3-4 seconds, i had tried it on my hunter (using all gears higher than 184, trinkets not included because BOE trinkets are bad), i experiment on this just for the purpose of helping my team rid the enemy healer, but a hunter when caught up by a few enemys with CD blown is too easy to kill, on the other hand i have blood dk and ret pally and shaman and mage and druid and priest having the so called ilvl204 - 224 gears, yes, always top dmg in bg, but they just cannot kill a heal, dont say 3 seconds, give them 10 mins they would still not be able to kill a healer single handedly .. i have 4 hunters in the 100-109 brackets all of which are BOE geared .. the next thing i want to try out is how 4 hunters perform in the same bg, more or less i know what the outcome will be, just waiting for my kids to be available to bg with me .. for the information, in my test for the hunter's burst, the only class that can always survive 1 round of attack is a blood DK as their health is usually over 28k at lvl100-109 .. it will need 2 hunters to burst him out .. other tank classes, some can survive some cant, i dont know why, but a blood DK always survive, and this hunter burst can be repeated after 1 min, but it will be a semi burst, to get a full burst again, it requires 2 mins for all CD

forgotten to add, some classes has instant full heal, like a pally and some classes has full immune to dmg for a few seconds, but once they use this, they will have to wait for a few mins to reuse that ability, my second burst will come before they get their defense up again, these are usually players who had been killed before and they are readied for it, but for new players i encountered, the burst kill happens so fast they wouldnt have time to react to it

i have also encountered healers telling their team mates to stop my burst using fear silent etc .. so these days i am doing it outside their range, this burst dmg takes place at a max distance of 68 yards .. thats the hunters max attack range

a lvl99 hunter can perform the exact same thing, but not a lvl89 hunter

Last edited:
Just wanted to add for the gloves that you also get the socket bonus and two gem slots. Using these for pure damage using my gear in comparison(still not the highest ilvl possible) you can get up to 54(7 strength gems) strength and with stamina + strength(5 strength + 6 stamina) gems 50 strength which is still potentially 6 strength higher than a 209 or 2 strength higher if you take the extra stamina while still being at roughly 45 stamina for the gloves. From my testing you rarely can get higher stamina than a 101 BoE, but you should never underestimate the power of these enchants and gems in terms of damage. the ilvl does make it a bit better if you get high enough for all pieces but it doesn't out gear as much as you might think and out scale quickly as you might think. Those lower gloves would still be very good for damage even in comparison to the 209 gloves. The secondary increase is negligible. If you don't want a glass cannon build or the lower ilvls don't suit your purposes(like an all round gear set) and you can get the 200s or you can specifically see that with the gems and enchants available the 101 BoE is better or is better for your purposes get the BoEs, that is my suggestion. It really depends on the specifics of the gear is and what is available to you and the play-style you are going for.

Users who are viewing this thread