EU 101 DK, blood or frost?

Night

Legend
I got a 100 DK, thing is I got the legendary tank ring maxed out ( 795ilvl) and the dps ring is just 725, is a 795 legendary wod tank ring worth using at all since I can just get 1 artifact weapon I need some opinions for what to go for.

So is blood or frost best for dungeon runs and general 101 twinking?

Last edited:
Two situations:
You go frost for art weapon:
If you go this path, yes you will be able to do dungeons quickly, however if you ever wanted to do solo WOD raids or other soloing feats, your going to fall short without the critical blood art weapon talents

You go blood for art weapon:
You will be able to solo anything in the realm of possibility, AND you can still go frost offspec and get two very nice weapons from HFC. Frost DK with artifact weapons and talents is nice, but even without, your dps will be high enough to still sell or do dungeons without any issue or loss of speed for the most part with the right gear

My suggestion (maybe wait to hear everyone else's before deciding):
Go blood. You will have a lot for fun in instanced pvp considering tank specs are God, and doing solo escapades. And if you are in the mood to do solo legion dungeons, you can offspec frost and still be amazing

I'm frost. I switch over to blood (or even unholy for very specific situations like Hans & Franz) and I can solo raids. Hell, I can solo Kaz in under a minute as frost.

As mentioned above, blood artifact will further make you an unkillable demigod. Since I don't have the blood artifact I figured I would be at a huge disadvantage but if you get a 740 vendor wep, a HFC 2H, or even the 101 boe epic mace you can still kick serious butt. I swapped to blood with Athrogg's Dethhamma in a BG just for sh*ts and I was able to keep 5 enemies occupied for the majority of the match, without any support. They simply could not kill me. I ended the BG with top DPS and healing.

If you plan on doing world PvP then do not choose frost. You will miss or have your spells resisted far too much. At least as blood you have legitimate survivability.

I swapped to blood with Athrogg's Dethhamma in a BG just for sh*ts and I was able to keep 5 enemies occupied for the majority of the match, without any support. They simply could not kill me. I ended the BG with top DPS and healing.
Your opponents must have been more than bad.

and get two very nice weapons from HFC.
Or get 2x Tankard with ilvl810.

From my POV, with frost artifact, decent gear (~860 boes, but only plate, to not break the str bonus, it becomes more important on higher gear level) and 25+% leech, you can lolzerg most of the content. Blood still have much more survivability, but frost can have like 3x more DPS, which is more important for soloing, plus, there is a trait in frost Artifact that clears all of the magic debuffs on you after using AMS. When i was ~845 total ilvl frost i was boosting some green geared lvl100 in WoD dungeons, then we went Blackrock Foundry heroic (for lulz). I zerged all of the bosses (except 2 brothers) without actually following any tactics - pull, gather RP, use Eyasu and 5sec after burst macro with Sindragosa's fury (artifact ability). thats all. when i was taking SOME seroius damage that was putting me lower than 40%, i was using DS instead of Frost strike. At 1st boss i died from spike (oops), at brothers i needed the guy to just stay alove few sec to prevent evade, and at Kromog and Blackhand i died with boss.

TLDR : if you are not planning some hardcore soloing (with getting multiple 880+ gear parts), go frost. And for blood you can make it offspec with the Int boe mace ~865 itemlevel - yes, it wont have the artifact traits, but the damage/healing will be around the same as the 764 artifact.

As for Kazzak, my last kill record was around 12 seconds. My second DK with frost offspec (835-850 BOE, ~11% leech) and 2x Tankards can kill it in around 30-35sec.

Mine is Blood and as mentioned above is basically unkillable. IMHO, Blood is kind of boring, I'd take the Frost Artifact and use a high iLvL Weapon for Blood. If you use the 740 ones from the Class Order Hall you can use WoD Weapon Enchants.

tankard 810 ilvl > 740 class hall ones, even if they have Agility.

PS: 1) Heavy geared frost with 814 Artifact, 7x 880+ BOE and 870+875 : http://i.imgur.com/IY29K0g.jpg - 1 sec before boss death, peak DPS @ 3.83M. And i used Sindragosa's fury before i got the boss damage Mark, so it would be like 4.4M peak.
2) Common geared DK (835-850 BOE) with 2x tankard - http://i.imgur.com/DZEFzQk.jpg - peak was around 1.56, with total dps around 1.3M.
3) same "common" DK, blood spec, 814 Artifact: http://i.imgur.com/rN39tbq.jpg 829K dps

Another vote for Frost, with an Athrogg for whenever you want more survivability with Blood.

tankard 810 ilvl > 740 class hall ones, even if they have Agility.

PS: 1) Heavy geared frost with 814 Artifact, 7x 880+ BOE and 870+875 : http://i.imgur.com/IY29K0g.jpg - 1 sec before boss death, peak DPS @ 3.83M. And i used Sindragosa's fury before i got the boss damage Mark, so it would be like 4.4M peak.
2) Common geared DK (835-850 BOE) with 2x tankard - http://i.imgur.com/DZEFzQk.jpg - peak was around 1.56, with total dps around 1.3M.
3) same "common" DK, blood spec, 814 Artifact: http://i.imgur.com/rN39tbq.jpg 829K dps
Mind explaining how you're managing 830K DPS as Blood on Kazzak? Even @Aelobin doesn't get that high (maybe half that) on his VERY well geared Blood DK.

Mind explaining how you're managing 830K DPS as Blood on Kazzak? Even @Aelobin doesn't get that high (maybe half that) on his VERY well geared Blood DK.
I recorded my Kazzak kill ages ago, before I got most my significant gear upgrades :p Comparing DPS on Kazzak is silly though due to all the buffs (double damage, +45% from fel debuff, +100% crit if you have the mage tower, etc).

I recorded my Kazzak kill ages ago, before I got most my significant gear upgrades :p Comparing DPS on Kazzak is silly though due to all the buffs (double damage, +45% from fel debuff, +100% crit if you have the mage tower, etc).
Fair point but still, over 800K DPS as Blood on anything ST with what he calls "common" Gear is crazy.

idk, 814 artifact, keeping at least 1 stack of bones for haste, all runes into heartstrike, vers+haste rings, blooddrinker and artifact spell when its available, and all runepower to deathstrike. NO buff from tower coz i didnt have it on my better geared DK and i didnt step into it to make a fair compare.
Probably because of haste from BL and haste ring, the GCD was low, and i didnt have time AFKing and autoattack.

Was blown away by the numbers posted. Then I noticed all the buffs... I must be the only guy here who doesn't use buffs (other than the occasional free oralius's crystal).

I'm curious what are people's base numbers like, unbuffed?

Your opponents must have been more than bad.

Must have been.

I would drop below 35% so will of the necropolis would kick in and I stayed there for most of the fight. I made my blood spec as troll-ish as possible, just to see how much of the enemy team I could keep distracted. I eventually died once when their GY rezzed after the mine was taken and the rest of their team showed up. The drawback, of course, is the lack of damage. It was fun, and my team won so it wasn't a total waste :)

Fair point but still, over 800K DPS as Blood on anything ST with what he calls "common" Gear is crazy.
Kazzak buff = 100% damage increase, Fel debuff = 45% damage increase. If they stack multiplicatively that's 190% increased damage. So 800k DPS on Kazzak is actually 276k DPS in normal circumstances which is decent for a blood DK but not exactly impressive either.

Kazzak buff = 100% damage increase, Fel debuff = 45% damage increase. If they stack multiplicatively that's 190% increased damage. So 800k DPS on Kazzak is actually 276k DPS in normal circumstances which is decent for a blood DK but not exactly impressive either.
Well, when you use Math and put it that way ofc lmao.

Is there a reason that the majority are going for blood and frost and not unholy. I started leveling my DK as unholy before I even knew about 101 twinking (I do have an 101 853 BM hunter twink). I am now stuck with a 101 unholy DK to twink if I want to use the artifact weapon, which I do.

Users who are viewing this thread