Reason for lack of Demon Hunter mentions.

Dev

Hi all. I've been hovering around this community since 2021, and was always confused why, despite having a good number of 20 DHs in the armory listings, I saw little to no mention of them when it came to choosing or mentioning classes (excluding Wow Classic servers, which is self-explanatory). And frankly, I'd like to understand why.

Firstly, I want to clarify that my focus with this topic is solely on PVE, and while I haven't seen much discourse on DH PVP either, it's not my area of knowledge.
From my experience, DHs are one of the strongest classes to play in low-level PVE simply due to the healing, movement, and utility. Even before the current socket boosts, my DH had no issue in the open world or most Dungeons, and with sockets, having trouble with practically anything outside of high-level zones is player error.

Prior to the recently announced addition of open-world flying to the 20s arsenal, DHs have also been the easiest method of zone travel I'm aware of due to their vertical mobility, which even the very fast Druids and Shamans lack (leaving them to depend on tools like the Darkmoon Cannon and Gnomish Gravity well + Goblin Glider). This is where my lack of PVP knowledge may be hindering my understanding of the DH's limitations. I'm aware that classes like the Guardian Druid and WWMonk for instance, are capable of more efficient combat due to increased damage/low CDs. But with the gear currently available to us, the DH doesn't seem hindered by this difference. Suffice to say, The DH toolkit seems to cover most PVE needs I've encountered.

If I've overlooked something or am unaware of other factors, I've love to be made aware of them and hear your thoughts, thanks!

I love Demon Hunters, the only problem is that I’ve been playing my Shaman since Legion, and I don’t have time to focus on more than one character.

If I could have made a lvl 20 Demon Hunter back when I made my Shaman, that would likely have been my main now.

I feel like this is the case for a lot of people too, they have a Demon Hunter alt, maybe with good enough gear but it’s not their main because that char was established years ago.

That makes good sense, Conzil. I can understand having our favorite characters because of the time and effort spent on them. And if I hadn't quickly switched from Rogue to DH for my first twink, I'd probably feel the same.

Would be a blast if you could get a Dh out of there starter zone a bit faster:Pepega:. A lvl 10 Dh twink on a fresh account would be awesome ( i know i just have to wait 60 days, but heck it is a loooooong time )

I love Demon Hunters, the only problem is that I’ve been playing my Shaman since Legion, and I don’t have time to focus on more than one character.

If I could have made a lvl 20 Demon Hunter back when I made my Shaman, that would likely have been my main now.

I feel like this is the case for a lot of people too, they have a Demon Hunter alt, maybe with good enough gear but it’s not their main because that char was established years ago.
Same here. Even though overall I feel that a druid is still a better overall package for a long-term character, DH's movement is so cool that I would consider it a great toon for someone that is just starting (and has no interest in PVP).

Demon Hunter - fresh has a good start on certain QoL items, granted quite tough to escape under level 11 especially if one could you can miss out on a few QoL items from the DH starting area.

The starting area provide a 28-slot bag (Vile Stalkerskin Pouch) and the 'lesser' Alchemist Flask ability, in the Inquisitor's Menacing Eye item. As well as 20 slot bags at creation.

Demon Hunter's glide kind of replaces having to fast track pick up Engineering for the Goblin Glide or the tinker or other items. (Unless A War Within unlocks Jeeves to F2P than Engineering is not as key for a DH, or if not a Goblin for the racial bank.

Some of the key racials help, Shadowmeld for the Night Elf (as well as Quickness: Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 2%, and your movement speed by 2%.) and to fast-track enchanting via the Blood Elf. The Blood Elf provides an additional PVP ability via Arcane Torrent.

As a tank or DPS class, one is better off with a Death Knight (for a teleport) or the Warrior for additional QoL under level 20. As for alternative DPS there is the druid via the Night Elf with better self-heals, teleport, stealth etc.

I agree that DKs have the advantage of a teleport with practically no CD and that Druids offer more versatility. Ultimately, I think this comes down to the feelings and priorities of each player. I suppose that's where part of the uniqueness and fun comes from.

Warriors may have overall better quality of life under level 20 - Heroic Leap, Charge, and the passive stances as examples. Talent-ing into Heroic Leap has been quite useful on F2P, I have for example hopped up to the ogre area above Shattrath City for the Ogri'la unlock quest chain. For a Demon Hunter, to effectively get up there, the DH has to have a toy or another mechanism to than try to double jump + glide nto that area or come down from above which one may as well have flying.

A Demon Hunter glide + double jump helps for reaching places from above or if in battlegrounds to say jump from Lumber Mill to one of the other capture points easier.
Still the Demon Hunter has interesting abilities but I think their talent trees need adjustment under lvl 20 to make them work as well.

Last edited:
I can see Evokers just crushing DHs next xpac. With the exception of a double jump, evokers would have basically similar basic movement abilities, like glide, in addition to a slew of ranged abilities in both DPS and Healing specs, which is where DH gets into the most trouble in low level pvp, not being ranged.

Also, you can probably expect healing spec auras for bonus damage done to still be busted, so expect preservation healing spec evokers to be dishing out 25-75% more damage than their DPS spec counterpart, at low levels.

Time will tell to see how their abilities stack up to other oppressive "heal spec dps casters" like Hpriest and Rsham.

Demon Hunter have a slight range multiple targeting ability if in Havoc spec via their "Throw Glaive" which also isn't as interrupted via "silence" like abilities. Plus their Fel Rush closes the gap as well as does more damage to mobs in path. Granted limited but I wouldn't rule Demon Hunter out especially with Blood Elf racial Arcane Torrent or Night Elf's Shadowmeld both with the Demon Hunter Disrupt, Imprison, and Spectral Sight as currently their core abilities..

Users who are viewing this thread