20-29 Zelpher's (Chi,raq's) Holy Paladin Guide.

Zelpher

Chi,Raq
Glossary.
A Holy Paladin's job in the 20-29 Bracket is to keep YOUR FLAG CARRIER alive.

Layout and Format.
Seperated with Paragraphs.

Holy Paladin Guide.

Human Racial.

Everyman for himself because it essentially gives "3 Outs." Although since Legion it only removes stuns. Always use this over your trinket because your trinket removes every CC and only shares a 30 second CD with it. And bubble for last. Also The Human Spirit gives you +2% more to your secondary traits (Haste, Crit Rating and Versatility).

Holy Paladin PvP Role.
As a Holy Paladin in the 20-29 Bracket, your Job is to keep your FC alive at all costs is #1 Priority. When in Range of your Teammates Dispelling CC's off your Healer Teamates is #2 Priority. #3 Priority is Healing your Teamates. #4 Priority is Dispelling DoT's off your DPS that depend on Thier Stealth for Burst damage. #5 Priority is Dispelling 2+ DoTs off any teamate as long as you don't get feared in return, but situation and free time is situational.

Holy Paladin Professions.

Cooking.
Any recipe that gives this.

+8 Stamina and +8 Versatility can't be beat for a little time spent to farm the ingredients.

First Aid.
Runecloth Bandage is the highest healing bandage for a 29....don't ask me why.

Engineering.
For the Toy that makes you smaller so you're less easily targetable and less noticed.

Alchemy.
Not really anything, but the duration of your potions last longer.

Useful Addons.
HHTD.

For spotting your teams healers/other teams healers easily.

Nameplate Cool downs.
Keeping track of your/your teams CC CD's/Enemy teams CC/CD's.

Deja Character Stats.
Just to help you know your exact Ilevel and Stats, but you can only really see your true Stats while looking at this in a Battleground or Arena.

Gear Advise.
20-29 Bracket is a Burst Bracket.

Highest Ilevel gear, without Grandfathered invasion gear it will be a mix of BG crate gear and BoA gear in your armor and weapon slots.
A high Ilevel white necklace and high Ilevel white rings.
Parachute Cloak.
STV Fishing trinkets.
Also the Mace of the Order, Alliance main hand mace. (Forgot the Horde equivalent one.) Is BiS for Holy and Prot, I've tested this and the Invasion weapon. Even though this is a iLvL 20 Mace, switching between this and the Invasion weapon I lost no stats, but this mace gave me about 50+ damage, and Crusader Strike is based off physical damage.
As far as I know my 29 Holy Pally is the only BiS one in the world.
Weapon swap with BoA Axe when you are not getting focused. You lose no stats and gain damage for Crusader Strikes and regular hits.

Talents.
This really depends on your gameplay style.
I prefer Light's Hammer cause of the Utility and Mass AoE Healing/Damage when team clashes go down.
Bestow Faith in my opinion is bad, because of the fact someone can die in 5 seconds, or that person could get healed full and it can over heal someone. 5 seconds in a burst bracket like this is plain out to long.
Crusader's Might isn't so bad as long as you play offensively too. Gives more Holy Shocks for Offensive and defensive purposes.

Tips.
PvP is Random/Situational. That's why I enjoy it. It's also true.

Unlike other expansions, in Legion you have to use a Holy Pally to it's full potential offensively and defensively. Don't be afraid to get in melee range for Crusader Strikes often. But they are really only worth it if you have the Mace of the Order or the Horde version of this.
Weapon swap.

Holy Shock.
Only use it when helping to DPS a target that's low on health. Or coming into combat when a teammate is low on health and you don't have time to cast Flash of Light. Can also be used in conjunction with Crusader Strike for good burst damage when your DPS's focus target is low if you have the time to do that.

Holy Light.
I only use this if I'm in a situation with no mage food and getting almost OOM and got the time to cast it.

Judgement.
Good to throw in a quick burst or added extra damage whenever the situation comes up.

Crusader Strike.
When you are not getting focused and in range it helps your other DPS out when bursting someone down.

Consecration.
Goes decent when paired with Light's Hammer and also to pop stealthies out.

Cleanse.
A very vital and important talent. Always Cleanse CC's off of your fellow Healers. When your Stealth teamates are in postion for a restealth and have a DoT on them Cleanse them. Cleanse any slow or roots off of your melee DPS. If any teammate has 2/3 DoTs on them, also cleanse them.

Taunt.
Good for taking pet damage off your DPS or other healers.
Also if you taunt a Survival hunters pet they can't charge you. ; )

Ressurection.
If and ONLY IF you got time to Res a teammate take the chance to do it, because you may get that Res off before they Res at the GY.

Postioning.
Stay away from other teams DPS and behind your DPS to make it easier for you to get peeled and less easier to get focused.
Also you keep your back away from attackers, if you face your attackers you have the chance to block/parry their attacks.
With the 3 Second sprint Holy Pallys have this expansion use it defensively and offensively for getting out of DPS range or to get in range for quick CC/Burst.

Who to heal in emergencies.
There will always come that time when you have a choice to make on who to keep alive depending on the given time allotted. Your FC comes first. Followed by your most Experienced Healers>Most Experienced Peelers>Most Experienced DPS.

Stick with all Plate related gear.
It doesn't say it in the Armor Skill tooltip but in battlegrounds and arenas you get the +5% to Stats for wearing all plate.

Last edited:
No mention of denounce's total lack of facing requirement? I feel like this goes unnoticed by so so many people and is one of the main strengths of the spell. Putting a particularly threatening dps on focus and dedicating that minuscule amount of time to denouncing them for 100% debuff uptime is incredibly effective.

Overall a nice, quick and concise guide covering the basics of a holy paladin for new 29s. The 29 bracket specifically I feel needs to shift back towards a role and objective centric metagame. Guides which explain a player's role and the tools / methods available to them to complete that role go a long way for the 29s bracket. Hope to see this guide built and expanded upon in future.

Users who are viewing this thread