EU+US Which class (level 20) has the most fun kit?

mattqdean

Grandfathered
Brand new to WoW. Would like to try out a trial account before purchasing the game. I am open to playing any class. I just want something that is fun. I know that it's subjective but would like each of you guys' take on the classes.

Druid
Mage
Monk
Paladin
Priest
Rogue
Shaman
Warlock
Warrior

Paladin is very stale but effective. If FUN is what you're looking for then I'd say

1. Druid, changing into animals, very versatile can try every role
2. Rogue - stealthy killy ninja thingy, sword from the shadow that kind of thing. Plus in my opinion Shadowstep is the most fun ability in the whole game
3. Monk - roll roll bam bam very pleasurable

If u are new don't ask other people who aren't new what is "fun", just try out different classes and specs and you will find what you enjoy. I personally enjoy multiple classes/specs, but when I first began wow many years ago I chose warrior as my first because I thought it would be the most simple at the time as a complete newbie

Thanks, @Crystalpall . I will be testing out druid and monk. I did try a rogue and it felt like I was in stealth most of the time because I was too weak or outnumbered.

If I can have great survivability and have "a lot" of things I can press/do as a druid or monk, I'll definitely stick with either one.

EDIT: Nice video

@Voc, thanks. I am trying out different classes as we speak but having veterans knowledge base like you guys is crucial information. Nonetheless, yes, I'll be trying things on my own as no one else but me can decide.

Reactions: Voc
Pretty cool how someone new to the game has come to xpoff for information, welcome.

I am trying out different classes as we speak
Use level boost on druid if you endup having one. by far best choice due to most specs ingame to cover everything.
Else at endgame: frost dk and ret pallys can be build in very "spamy" way. if one in to such things. BM Hunters are legit.

If you planing on staying 20: Hunter, druid, frost mage, fury warrior, ret paladin.
Main thing you should focus on to find right class for you: would you like to be melee or range.

if got any questions, ask away.

Last edited:
Hey, @SPQR . Thank you for the info. Yes, I am planning on staying at 20 for a while. At the least, have one to play if my subscription runs out.

I would like to play range. From what I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong), being range is safer to play in battlegrounds - especially in alterac valley.

I know being range has downsides like being squishy and having no tools to get out of melee range. That being said, I would like a class that can escape close encounters (like monk?) and have ability to sustain/heal myself (druid? Monk?).

I know that discipline priests are pretty strong but how fun is their kit? Hunters sound fun but do they have any way to heal themselves at level 20?

Hey, @SPQR . Thank you for the info. Yes, I am planning on staying at 20 for a while. At the least, have one to play if my subscription runs out.

I would like to play range. From what I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong), being range is safer to play in battlegrounds - especially in alterac valley.

I know being range has downsides like being squishy and having no tools to get out of melee range. That being said, I would like a class that can escape close encounters (like monk?) and have ability to sustain/heal myself (druid? Monk?).

I know that discipline priests are pretty strong but how fun is their kit? Hunters sound fun but do they have any way to heal themselves at level 20?

Disc priests get boring after a while, but you pretty much just PW:S, then Shadow Mend spam to survive, when you aren't casting Shadow Mend, Penance and Smite once in a while. WW monks have amazing mobility but meh damage. Closest thing to a monk is Druid. I'm personally playing Fire mage, which I think is pretty strong, but is only able to maximize DPS when hiding behind other players.

When I first started WOW my first toon was a BM Hunter. No matter how many other toons I've played I've always come back to BM Hunter. There's something special about the first class u play that makes u want to come back to it no matter what changes the game takes over the years. My heart has always been for a BM Hunter.
So whatever u choose to play it needs to be one that suits u and ur style. If u like ranged then I'd suggest one that has some decent survivability. U r right about AV and melee it can be quite horrible. I try to avoid those big packs in AV and look for some one on ones.
If u choose Hunter, u will need to learn to kite (stay out of range) of melee. U will lack heals but if u stay far enough away u can still survive. Kiting is so important as ranged, especially Hunters.
Maybe if u want ranged with heals I wonder if Ele Shaman is the way to go? I don't have much experience with them but they have decent heals.
I guess u also need to work out whether ur interested in being a healer class or straight up damage class or hybrid damage - healer class. All have their pros and cons. For PvP I'd probably stay away from tanking classes as they aren't that effective. They used to be but not anymore.
Good luck finding ur preferred class ;)

I would like to play range.

being range is safer to play in battlegrounds - especially in alterac valley.
I know being range has downsides like being squishy and having no tools to get out of melee range.
I would like a class that can escape close encounters (like monk?) and have ability to sustain/heal myself (druid? Monk?).

I know that discipline priests are pretty strong but how fun is their kit?
Hunters sound fun but do they have any way to heal themselves at level 20?

Gonna try keep it short.

look in to Affliction Warlock.
drain life+ talent is stronger than it should be at this point in time + solid damage from mouse over dot'ing everything.
Destruction warlock with mouse over shadowburn will lead you straight up top on kill stat board.

2nd choice would be balance druid.
Dots hitting solid + overall high damage.
It also provides you with option to play healer for flag keeping (players at 20 tend to roll healer as fc)

As for pros and cons of being range + surviveability : it all depends on your skill.
if you got combat awareness - most of time no one even gonna get to you if you dont want them to (melee or range at any level).

Shape shifting as druid by using "cancel form/use form" macro will take you away from most melees with ease. There are not that many defensive abilities at 20 so in many cases your surviveability will depend on healers healing you.

I'd go with druid over monk if i had to choose.
Priests are not that impressive now with legion. You heal, you bubble.

As for Alterac valley: as ally on EU it is not something one could que for regularly.
They go galv, they fail, lose mid, get turtle, IB and SB burning down, gets pushed back to bridge with 200-300 against 550 right until the very same end.

imo: still sticking with hunter mostly. Usefull team member for both defense and offense. Easier time in world exploration/pvp (can easy kill level 45-50 single mob on my 20 hunter) + More pets to collect them all. If you die as hunter you either doing it as distraction for your team or you just doing it wrong at that moment.

Ask away if anything comes in to mind.

Last edited:
@Holythane , totally missed your post. Thank you for the warm welcome.

@Dragpz , I figured priest playstyle was 1 dimensional. Although it's strength in battlegrounds is tempting, I will pass on it.

@Voc , I love AV! Having a 40v40 brawl sounds so good. I'm mostly wanting to do it because of the mount looks so badass.

@icehawk , shooting arrows from far away while hiding behind my friends sounds exactly up my alleay. Pets - I don't really care for, but the thing that concerns me is hunter survivability. I'm leveling one right now and it's so ezmode, I love it. According to wowhead, hunters don't have a heal at level 20, so I'm still skeptical I'll be good enough to survive in battlegrounds.

@Naxxramaskid , thank you for your insight. Warlock is the next class I want to try out. How weak are they against melee classes? Good in battleground settings - warsong gulch, arathi basin? If a warrior/rogue/paladin is on me, is that a guaranteed death?

@SPQR , thank you so much for such a detailed post. I really appreciate it. Affliction lock has 2 votes now (as well as hunter). One thing I don't like about druid is I am limited in race options and it sucks that I won't be able to see my armor/weapon in animal (?) forms. The more I read up on warlock, the more badass it sounds. Would you say their kit is fairly one dimensional? (dots,fear,shadow bolt?,rinse repeat) Like I asked @Naxxramaskid , do they fare poorly against melee classes?

If you're implying that hunters should not be dying (as long as I kite well), then I am very very tempted to main it. Markman sounds very cool.

I'll be testing warlock and hunter throughout the week and post an update on my findings. Thank you again guys.

EDIT: @Naxxramaskid, how are shamans? Particularly enhancement and elemental. The kit looks pretty fun but it may not be worth it if they're way too down on the totem pole of class tier list. Your shaman look so badass.

Last edited:
@icehawk , shooting arrows from far away while hiding behind my friends sounds exactly up my alleay. Pets - I don't really care for, but the thing that concerns me is hunter survivability. I'm leveling one right now and it's so ezmode, I love it. According to wowhead, hunters don't have a heal at level 20, so I'm still skeptical I'll be good enough to survive in battlegrounds.

If you're implying that hunters should not be dying (as long as I kite well), then I am very very tempted to main it. Markman sounds very cool.

I did some DPS numbers in the below post if your interested for Vet / F2P Hunters :-
http://xpoff.com/threads/vet-hunter-tests-post-legion-pre-patch-fyi.69384/

Sounds like you may be interested in Marksman. I'd say that Marks is great as you go up in the higher levels of the game, but at level 20 it's probably the weaker of the Hunter specs. It also sounds like you'd want to take the http://www.wowhead.com/spell=155228/lone-wolf talent to avoid a pet but that will drop your survivability at 20. Reason is you only have 1 slow without the pet which is http://www.wowhead.com/spell=5116/concussive-shot. If you come up against a melee class that can remove slows or someone trinkets you have no further slow till the CD on http://www.wowhead.com/spell=5116/concussive-shot is up. If you have a pet like a Spider or Crocolisk you can have a 2nd pet slow also in between the http://www.wowhead.com/spell=5116/concussive-shot, that way if they get past the first you have the 2nd slow which I find almost a must at this level.

Having a pet also gives you the option of having a healing debuff like a Scorpid or Carrion Bird. This is a must against a team with good healers. It's the only way to burn down teams which have good healers, or even the healers themselves.

But if you're leaning towards Marks, I'd say give it a go. And if you don't want the pet try it out as well. DPS is all but identical with / without the pet, but I feel your DPS won't be as high as the other 2 specs and you will have the slight disadvantage of only 1 slow. You still have http://www.wowhead.com/spell=781/disengage and http://www.wowhead.com/spell=186257/aspect-of-the-cheetah so you have some backup escapes but you will likely need to call on them more often as Marks.

Either way have fun whatever you choose. In the end, it's what suits your style and game play. Marks will be more than fine for questing / dungeons / exploring etc, but will be behind the other 2 types of hunters in bg's / arena. Personally I think the Marks game play is awesome fun, but due to the lack of DPS you may find it more difficult to burn down targets in bg's / arena. You will still be useful in group situations but may find yourself getting frustrated in 1 v 1 situations. That said, Blizz quite often tunes the classes from time to time and Marks may get a buff in days to come to make it more competitive. By then you may be an expert Marks Hunter if that's the class you choose ;)

Play prot paladin if hou love AV and kills. Alsof, how did you end up on xpoff?

One thing I don't like about druid is I am limited in race options and it sucks that I won't be able to see my armor/weapon in animal (?) forms.

Would you say their kit is fairly one dimensional? (dots,fear,shadow bolt?,rinse repeat)
do they fare poorly against melee classes?

If you're implying that hunters should not be dying (as long as I kite well), then I am very very tempted to main it.
Markman sounds very cool.

Sure, you welcome. always nice to see a person reading about classes before choosing one.

race options are indeed rather limited but those available bring nice racial abilities to the table. It is true that for the most part your weapon is purely cosmetic unlike hunter/warrior/rogue. Warlocks weapon also don't do much other than being there.

as for " one dimensional " : i'd say all classes are one dimensional at this point (even at legion endgame more or less)
Now is it a bad or a good thing? well depends whom you will ask. It still can be fun to play is some cases. Warlocks does still have fear so there is room for that.

do they fare poorly against melee classes? :
You can outheal most of things by drain life. if hunter sends pet at you, just drain it instead if hunter out of range. warlock are strong class atm but being fotm is not the best criteria to decide your class up on. at least for me.

You are correct. A hunter will not die alot if managed properly. still does not mean you will win every bg but you need premades for that. I find MM abit too much "relaxing" at this poin at 20. There are no reason to stand and cast aim shot as your arcane shots do same if not more during 2 sec cast time. thus all you do is press one key and jump around with 100 focus.

Beast mastery on the other hand are fairly made with Dire Stable talent at 20. you are not focus starved and still have some symbiosis going on between you and your pet (kill command & roar of sacrifice to reduce dmg taking on selected target) + an offensive cd in for of Aspect of the Wild. But you do not have any legit healing to be 100% solo.

See more info about pets and where to find them here: http://www.wow-petopia.com/
And don't forget to select "Hunter tracking" on your minimap. useful for world and pvp.

Also try get legion invasion gear in last few hrs they going on.

Last edited:
Feral druids are pretty fun at the moment... Theyre currently the most mobile stealth class by far at level 20. Disc priest has insane heal potential and pretty good survivability. As a blood elf rogue opening with a kick and the additional silence will kill most healers. Frost Mage seems like a good time with their bubble and cc

Shadow priest has self healing in the form of shadow mend and PW: shield. Their damage is great....not crazy like an arms warr with overpower, but good enough. Leaving voidform will provide you with "lingering insanity" which is a nice temporary haste buff so you can get back in to voidform quicker. What a I love most about shadow is the subtlety of it. If you take shadow word void as your talent, you can cast sw: pain, mind blast, sw: void without leaving a trail that leads to you like voidbolt and mind flay do....same with affliction lock; I can get agony up on as many targets as possible to gain soul shards and spam unstable affliction on my primary target without (hopefully) drawing much attention with spells like drain life. Affliction lock and Shadow priest are very solid choices.

Users who are viewing this thread