US State of the Bracket and re: 19 TC

Painaid

The Immortal
So I came back tonight to play a few 19s with some other twinks (Bone, Marshman, Mocha, and IcyJr). While I will likely be focusing more on 20-29s since it offers more diverse gameplay, I decided to give this bracket another shot after hearing how things have been toned down a bit since MoP.

Admittedly, my experience is limited to only having played a few games at the moment. However, there are already some obvious flaws in the bracket that really threaten to undermine the viability of 19s on a competitive stage.

1. Lack of class diversity. Druid/Rogue/Shaman made up pretty much 90% of the games I played. This has always been a plague in the bracket, hearkening back to when Hunters were the FotM. But this issue appears even more aggravated than ever due to the nature of CC in the current meta. There is little to no reactive counter to many abilities (see: feral druid kit) creating an "anti-fun" aspect. Being 100->0'd within a single stun isn't an encouraging aspect when it comes to trying to attract new blood into the bracket. And it further removes the ability to develop and counter strategies on a competitive level.

2. Feral Druids, in particular, are a serious issue. They cannot be allowed in any sort of competitive medium in the bracket. To do so would call into question the legitimacy of the match. As such, allowing them into competitive play is a complete nonstarter. There is little to no reactive ability to counter them. Other classes with similar opening kits, such as rogues, should also be limited.

Obviously, these issues cannot be policed in pugs. That said, it doesn't help in the attempt to attract new blood to the bracket. But if the 19 Bracket also wishes to premise itself as being a competitive bracket, certain rules should be instituted in any tournament, such as the Twink Cup (which I admittedly know little to nothing about personally) to combat this problem.

I'm sure these issues have been discussed ad nauseam already on these forums, but it doesn't hurt to continually talk about issues that threaten the competitive balance of a bracket that is in the process of trying to portray itself as an alternative avenue for competitive play in WoW. You simply cannot avoid confronting an 800lb gorilla in the room such as this one.

It's also a concerning problem for the ever-pressing worry of finding new blood to bring into the bracket for further growth in the community. Communities always need to be finding more ways to stimulate growth and expansion of new players into the bracket. The current state in pugs does not appear very amiable to this goal. Forming solutions to further this goal, however, would require a more bottom -> top approach that may not be realistic in all practicality.

Anyway, just a few thoughts after a couple games. I appreciated the warm welcomes (on both factions), and despite the complete lack of counter-play, I managed to have some fun. Maybe I'll see some of you around in the future as I'll try to pop in a game here and there when time permits.

Best,
Painaid

Last edited by a moderator:
Will ferals finally get the banhammer from the Twink Cup now that Painaid said it? :rolleyes:

I agree on your opinion of ferals, but as for rogues, they can easily be countered before high stacks and even thereafter depending on the situation. The same could be said for any class though really.

I agree. I've always believed that growth as a community should always be our priority as the changes by Blizzard has drastically reduced our population. That is my sole motivation and it's sad to say that I've felt as though I've been the only one with that goal in mind for years. This is why I've made 19s of every class and am normally FCing or healing despite me being a rogue and really just wanting to play my rogues.

As for ferals, yes I agree they should be booted. It's literally a stun lock rogue-level-70-welcome-back-to-the-burning-crusade-endgame-opener except the only way we can minimize its effects is hope our trinket isn't on CD. I think it says something about the people who play ferals to be an asset to their team in pug vs those who play ferals just to stomp people.

personally ive never seen more active twinks on my server EVER. theres always like 30 twinks at any given time running around Org on Arthas

I agree with poor class balancing being a major issue. However, Blizzard is at fault there, not the community.

As a community, we are much stronger, more mature, and tighter-knit than ever before. Your guild should give the 19 bracket another chance. The level of competition is higher than it has ever been and the annual Twink Cup is something your guild should participate in. Would love to see you guys take 19s serious again.

And trust me, the 29 bracket is not any better - class balance or community wise.

personally ive never seen more active twinks on my server EVER. theres always like 30 twinks at any given time running around Org on Arthas

I have no doubt that Arthas horde has more 19's on every evening than BH. BH is clearly still the king on alliance side although without a doubt they have less than half of the alliance twinks on at any given moment.

I have no doubt that Arthas horde has more 19's on every evening than BH. BH is clearly still the king on alliance side although without a doubt they have less than half of the alliance twinks on at any given moment.

If this is the case then please all you guys queue up! We should easily be getting 3+ games a night with those numbers

If this is the case then please all you guys queue up! We should easily be getting 3+ games a night with those numbers

We are always queueing! But have been wargaming a ton lately. That being says, I've found alliance to be the bottleneck in pug queues keeping it to 1-2 games. When we're all queueing we sometimes wait 30 min between games while alliance get Insta pops after their games.

Btw we had 21 19's on Friday night at 3am....pretty crazy for a guild that only accepts experienced tinks!

I agree with poor class balancing being a major issue. However, Blizzard is at fault there, not the community.

As a community, we are much stronger, more mature, and tighter-knit than ever before.
Yes, balancing is ultimately Blizzard's fault. But that does nothing to diminish our own ability and responsibility to act. Since 19s is such a tight-knit community as you say (and I agree), then let's use that asset to our advantage. The great part of having a small community is the ability to police ourselves and not be at the complete mercy of Blizzard.

The community can be used as a vehicle to police certain toxic gameplay. From my initial observations of the bracket, my primary suggestion is to outright ban feral druids from competitive play. And don't just make this a small transparent bylaw. It should be made open and obvious for all to see. And it should apply to all competitive realms. The negative karma attached to playing a feral druid should be akin to GY farming many years ago. Because that is how we, as a community, were able to effectively combat and police the issue.

Obviously this same type of ban cannot be accomplished in pugs, but it can be achieved by guilds acting in concert. And I believe by making the ban outright, as time goes on it will further discourage rerolls and play from that class spec in general. We start by initially banning it from controlled aspects of the game (such as premades) and slowly move this into the greater pug format.

This would require community leaders from all over to step up to the plate and comes to terms. Whether this is realistic, or even amenable to others, is up for debate for the time being. I merely offer my own $0.02 here.

As for the second issue, the overall lack of class diversity is a problem akin to what GY farming was back in the day. Sure, it's not possible to completely police this problem since it requires more of a bottom -> top approach. But as we did with GY Farming in previous expansions, community leaders should come together and condone greater diversity and less toxic gameplay. The first impression new players get when they come to try out the 19 bracket should not be them getting 100-0'd inside one stun that cannot be negated.

I've made a fuss over the lack of new blood in the bracket ever since XP-off. The Twink Cup presents a great opportunity to attract new interest in the bracket; so lets make the best of this opportunity by creating an environment that encourages intuitive and challenging play-styles. Because that is the type of play that is most likely to retain new players--not the current toxic meta that rewards play-styles with little-to-zero counterplay.

Your guild should give the 19 bracket another chance. The level of competition is higher than it has ever been and the annual Twink Cup is something your guild should participate in. Would love to see you guys take 19s serious again.
I am a competitive individual, so I will not attempt something half-heartedly. And I simply don't have the time necessary to devote to such an undertaking to put the guild in a position for success. So I'll have to yield that to someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a competitive individual, and I do not attempt something half-heartedly. Unfortunately, I simply don't have the time necessary to devote to such an undertaking to put the guild in a position for success. So I must yield that to someone else.

That's understandable. I've had a much harder time leading my guild while in my MBA program. Real life takes up so much more of our time as we get older.

Love seeing you guys around anyways. I have a lot of love and respect for all of you, and anyone who at one point or another had a strong passion towards the bracket.

I agree with [MENTION=523]Painaid[/MENTION] especially in the recent response to [MENTION=65]Pizza[/MENTION] The points made were ones I were trying to voice.

With us having a smaller community we should influence ourselves, friends and other community members in a positive way that will encourage the consideration for the greater good of the community. Personally I have a friend looking to roll feral druid and I told her to consider making something else for the time being and she got it 100%.

With us having a smaller community we should influence ourselves, friends and other community members in a positive way that will encourage the consideration for the greater good of the community. Personally I have a friend looking to roll feral druid and I told her to consider making something else for the time being and she got it 100%.

We can't really change what classes new players and pugs play. However, the major active guilds can help set the example by encouraging class balance within their guild.

Feral Druids and Arms Warriors are the two specs complained about the most in the bracket. My guild has zero Ferals and only two Warriors.

Skill Ratio Roster

I agree with [MENTION=523]Painaid[/MENTION] especially in the recent response to [MENTION=65]Pizza[/MENTION] The points made were ones I were trying to voice.

A definite ban on feral in the twink cup is the necessary/immediate step needed for growth to continue for the Twink Cup and quality of pug games. Will make the quality of games in the tournament better quality, and players will be less inclined to play the spec preceeding the twink cup as serious players will be perfecting other class/specs going into the tournament

Users who are viewing this thread